TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging Credit Program

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by CmdrThor, Nov 7, 2016.

1. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

Looks like it is official now.

Tesla officially announces end of free Supercharging, new ‘Supercharging credit program’ starts in 2017

2. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

Looks like it is for all Telsa's after Jan 1 2017. The Press Release does not indicate of someone could pre-purchase an unlimited option.

3. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I would assume that is not something that Tesla would be interested in offering anymore. 400 kWh included annually with every car is a great idea. Many owners will never exceed this, but those that do will have to pay which addresses the issue of local Supercharging. If someone wants to Supercharge locally exclusively they will pay a fair price. If someone is running a business using Superchargers, they also pay which I am sure those business owners will be fine with.

4. bro1999

bro1999 Member

This has been a long time coming. This will put an end to locals abusing SCs as personal charging stations, that's for sure.

400 kWh.....that's what, 4 full charges on a S100? Not that much really...

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

This is very similar to the plan I suggested over a year ago...but I was thinking it would be more like 1000 kWh per year. Oh well. Good thing I already have an order in.

I know with many announcements people complain that the resale value of their car just went down...but maybe this will help keep the resale value up, assuming the restriction only applies to cars ordered after 1/1/17.

6. bro1999

bro1999 Member

Also, a GREAT way to incentivize people to buy a Tesla before the year is out....and aid in hitting 2016 sales objectives.

Expect strong pushing of inventory units next month. "This is your only way to guarantee free Supecharging for life!".

7. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

Will used or CPO cars be transitioned to the new model, or do those cars retain their unlimited supercharging?

8. bro1999

bro1999 Member

I wonder how this would work on a sale of a used S next year that was purchased before 31 Dec 2016. Does the "new" owner get the benefit of unlimited Supercharging as well?

9. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

They didn't say if this would stack. Would be cool to be able to collect unused kWh's for use later (like a cross country trip).

10. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    I'm not surprised. In fact, I wrote about this a couple of months ago here. This will increase sales in Q4 and help with the 80K delivery target for 2016. That's a smart move. After the P100D, Tesla has just pulled another demand lever. This last move makes the 100D less likely this quarter but it could still happen in early Dec 2016. We shall see.

• Funny x 1
  11. MorrisonHiker

That's what I would hope as I thought it was tied to the car, not the owner. Then again, I guess it would be nice if unlimited supercharger was tied to the owner...as that would allow current owners to still have it on a future vehicle.

Hopefully they'll provide more details soon for those deciding on when to purchase.

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

I think for private party sales they will almost certainly need to leave it unlimited for the car because otherwise that affects the resale value of your car. But for CPO they can set whatever parameters they want. I would assume they will just leave all cars ordered before 2017 to be unlimited for the life of the car. The number of unlimited cars as a percentage of the total fleet will go down significantly when Model 3 launches. And eventually the 2012-2016 cars will go out of service and it will no longer be an issue.

• Like x 1
  13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Where did you get the price from? I didn't see the cost.

14. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

What price are you seeing in that post?

15. Garlan Garner

I'm not seeing any price. That's why I was wondering where the $100 is coming from.

16. MorrisonHiker

That's S100, not $100.

17. Garlan Garner

Oh...I see. Thanks.

18. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

Let's see if i've got this right...

I drive about 15.000 miles a year, about 3000 of those have been 'road trips' for each of the last three plus years.
    3000 miles at 325 watts per mile (about 1000 kWh) at 15 cents per kWh is $150.

This doesn't count leaving with a full battery or charging at destinations.

On my $100K car? OK with me, and we get a bigger system faster.

Just my thoughts.

Alan

• Like x 2
  19. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

This is EXACTLY the model I was hoping for for my future Model 3. This gives me the ability to take the occasional road trip. Even pay when I exceed the allotment if needed.
    This also decouples the cost to run the superchargers from the cost of the vehicle. If any current owner believes they got supercharging for FREE, they are mistaken. It was INCLUDED, NOT FREE. Being that I don't plan on taking road trips frequently, the decoupling of supercharging, or partially decoupling allows more of the cost of the vehicle to be applied to the actual vehicle.

20. Mkorpal

Mkorpal Member

I applaud this fully. It allows for a more robust and thoughou expansion of the network. And it creates an avenue to perhaps incorporate local charging rather than shun it. At some point, Tesla was going to have to consider those who live in urban environments where reasonable charging solutions haven't been adopted yet.

• Like x 1