Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Curve for P90D Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
This past weekend was our first drive outside of the local charging area for our Model X. I recorded the Supercharging taper for it.

Features: Arrived at 6% SOC, or 16.3 miles. Immediately after plugging in, I saw 118 kW on the app, but within the first minute it had settled down to 116 kW or so, then made its way down to about 111 kW where it held pretty steadily until 27% SOC. From there it began to taper. The all-important 90 kW threshold was passed at about 37.5% SOC, and continues from there. I did not fully charge, however, as I needed to continue on...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
No, 50 degrees or so after having driven 100 miles. Remember it's a Model X - so Wh/mi is higher (13% more than Model S) and 90 kWh (~6% more capacity than my 85 kWh). So that means both mile and SOC indicators are going to move more slowly in the same amount of time vs. a Model S with 85 kWh pack.

Using the ratio, a Model X P90D (340 Wh/mi rated) would likely gain 150 miles in 30 minutes instead of Model S's 170 from completely empty. We didn't quite get that, at about 130 miles - a difference of about 3 minutes at the higher rates. My granularity is only 60 seconds here, so there is somewhat of an error margin, and I didn't start with completely empty.

It does seem to have started a taper a bit earlier (crossing that 90% threshold at 37% instead of 42%) and that could be the reason for it being slightly slower.

The current superchargers are 135 kW units serving 2 stalls that can deliver a maximum of ~120 kW to any one car. I've seen 122 kW as the maximum on my Model S in very rare conditions; mostly I've seen my cars both start at 118 kW if the SOC is sufficiently low.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and loganintx
It does seem to have started a taper a bit earlier (crossing that 90% threshold at 37% instead of 42%) and that could be the reason for it being slightly slower.

Thanks for posting. Your data is consistent with what we've seen for other 90 kWh. FWIW, my 85 D pack crosses the 90 kW threshold 43-45%. I've seen it hold 80 kW into the 50s, but I doubt the 90 kWh packs ever see this.

How did you capture this data, and are you using a specialized piece of software to generate those views? Sorry if this has already been asked; I just picked up my Model X on Thursday so very new to all this :)

I use some utilities called TeslaMS written by a TMC member, and store the information in a local database. There is another person who runs similar capabilities as a web service -- see the tesla logger thread in the "user interface" section of Model S.

Johan, precisely. Which is why I would never trade my 85 for a 90. Don't need the extra range and would rather cut my charging time by several minutes at each stop. They need to fix this for the Model 3, which will use brand new cell chemistry.

Are you guys sure that the 90kwh battery get supercharged slower? Based on what I see in these two videos, they are about the same.

It takes the 90 kwh battery 41 minutes and 31 seconds to go from 10% to 70% (51 kwh added to battery).
And it takes the 85 kwh battery 40 minutes and 2 seconds to go from 11% (yes, 11% of 85 kwh is about the same as 10% of 90 kwh) to whatever percentage that also added 51 kwh to battery.

1 minute and 29 seconds isn't really that much of a time difference for both battery to add 51 kwh, and the difference is within the margin of errors due to other factors such as temperature etc.

The curve on the 85 in Bjorns video is messed up. Use this one instead for comparison:

I did the math again. 85 kwh battery is about 4 mintues faster to get 40 kwh to the battery. Or also about 4 minutes faster to get 52 kwh to battery. Still not a huge difference between the 85 kwh and 90 kwh battery when you are talking about charge time that typical last 30 to 50 minutes.