Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharging Determining Costs? Off-peak pricing options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I just sold my '15 MS last month so free supercharging has always been available. Now I have a '21 MY with no free charging. I've read on another forum that some super charging locations are .34/kwh and someone on Long Island NY posted he pays .17/kwh. Are the fluctuations in pricing/location that great or even more? I have several questions. I've seen info here that while in the car, clicking on particular charging locations, the rates are displayed. Are there any other sources? Further, do these/some of the charging locations have peak/off-peak pricing? I arrive at a SuC at 7:55PM and my entire session is deemed peak, versus waiting until 8:05PM and the entire session if off-peak? I see Tesla implemented night pricing in California. Unsure if limited there or rolling out elsewhere?

Hi All, I just sold my '15 MS last month so free supercharging has always been available. Now I have a '21 MY with no free charging. I've read on another forum that some super charging locations are .34/kwh and someone on Long Island NY posted he pays .17/kwh. Are the fluctuations in pricing/location that great or even more? I have several questions. I've seen info here that while in the car, clicking on particular charging locations, the rates are displayed. Are there any other sources? Further, do these/some of the charging locations have peak/off-peak pricing? I arrive at a SuC at 7:55PM and my entire session is deemed peak, versus waiting until 8:05PM and the entire session if off-peak? I see Tesla implemented night pricing in California. Unsure if limited there or rolling out elsewhere?
Yes, supercharging rates/prices can vary significantly both regionally and sometimes even just between 2 different superchargers in the same city. Though it's more usual for most of the superchargers in a region to be priced roughly similarly, maybe only a few cents/kWh difference between them. Tesla has started using Time-of-Use (peak/off-peak) pricing in some areas, definitely not just in California. And people should expect this to continue to expand to more areas in the future. But they aren't perfectly consistent with this, so even in cities with more than one supercharger some may use TOU pricing and some might not. I don't believe I've read any definitive info on what happens to the price when charging across the pricing transition time. The most equitable solution would be to have dynamic pricing that changed the rate for kWhs loaded before and after, but this is trickier to implement and liable to create more customer confusion than just going with a single rate for the entire session.

Unfortunately, there currently isn't any other location where you can find the prices for a specific supercharger listed besides using the in-car navigation system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I arrive at a SuC at 7:55PM and my entire session is deemed peak, versus waiting until 8:05PM and the entire session if off-peak?
I just saw someone comment on this experience in one of the supercharger threads:

In case anyone wonders about starting to charge right before 10:00am if you will get charged the $.21 / kWh rate or the higher $.42. I started charging at 9:57am and the entire charging session was at the $.21 rate.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311