TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging - distance from transformer

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by ToddS, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ToddS

ToddS Member

I was Supercharging last night after a trip to Disney. It was the Fort Drum SC. Nice 6 or 8 stalls, all pull-ins.

Since all the stalls were open, I decided to do a little experiment. I started charging at the furthest stall from the transformer and then moved to the one closest. It showed about a 30% improvement in speed moving the the SC closest.

Thoughts?

Also, I know the chargers slow down as the batteries get past a certain point. My question is does it matter if it is set on "Daily" vs. "Trip"? In other words, does putting the battery at 100% charge allow the SC to charge quicker for longer (seems that it wouldn't, but just curious of others thoughts)?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No, your max charge setting is irrelevant, just the state of charge of the battery.

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Actually you should use the shortest wiring to the charger racks which are located inside the enclosure.
    --

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

It's an interesting thought. My guess is that they couldn't possibly use wire that would make more than a 1% or so difference in charge power. There would be too too much heat buildup.

I have on several occasions experienced a difference in charging speeds between stalls at an empty Supercharger. That's probably what you saw.

I wonder if there will be much answer from SoCal, where they have no concept of choosing their charging stall? ;)

• Like x 3
  5. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

Not convinced that distance from the transformers could make a 30% difference. It could be as simple as the first time you plugged in, that it warmed the battery up to a level where it could take the most charge, and then you moved and sure enough, it could take a heavier charge now.

But I'm not sure -- just a theory!

• Like x 4
  6. spentan

spentan Active Member

This is definitely the more likely situation.

I've always got the full 120kW from the furthest charging stall when around 7-8% SOC

7. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Good theory. I agree and am sure that distance to the transformer will not make this much difference in charging.