Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - distance from transformer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was Supercharging last night after a trip to Disney. It was the Fort Drum SC. Nice 6 or 8 stalls, all pull-ins.

Since all the stalls were open, I decided to do a little experiment. I started charging at the furthest stall from the transformer and then moved to the one closest. It showed about a 30% improvement in speed moving the the SC closest.

Thoughts?

Also, I know the chargers slow down as the batteries get past a certain point. My question is does it matter if it is set on "Daily" vs. "Trip"? In other words, does putting the battery at 100% charge allow the SC to charge quicker for longer (seems that it wouldn't, but just curious of others thoughts)?

It's an interesting thought. My guess is that they couldn't possibly use wire that would make more than a 1% or so difference in charge power. There would be too too much heat buildup.

I have on several occasions experienced a difference in charging speeds between stalls at an empty Supercharger. That's probably what you saw.

I wonder if there will be much answer from SoCal, where they have no concept of choosing their charging stall? ;)

Not convinced that distance from the transformers could make a 30% difference. It could be as simple as the first time you plugged in, that it warmed the battery up to a level where it could take the most charge, and then you moved and sure enough, it could take a heavier charge now.

But I'm not sure -- just a theory!

This is definitely the more likely situation.

I've always got the full 120kW from the furthest charging stall when around 7-8% SOC

Not convinced that distance from the transformers could make a 30% difference. It could be as simple as the first time you plugged in, that it warmed the battery up to a level where it could take the most charge, and then you moved and sure enough, it could take a heavier charge now.

But I'm not sure -- just a theory!

Good theory. I agree and am sure that distance to the transformer will not make this much difference in charging.