Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can rationalize people using the local chargers on occasion, once I was going away for a weekend and the only way I could top off for the drive quickly to leave on time was to use the local SC although I admit feeling guilty when other people were waiting.

What I don't like seeing is the limo services, you can recognize them because they have their commercial numbers on the car. Since I'm not far from the airport I can only assume that they are ever day, maybe multiple times a day, true abusers of the service. I'll be happy when they all age out.

Reactions: Blu Zap
I am punishing other Tesla owners but ONLY in the following manner:

And...

1. ANY load on the system is detrimental load. It accelerates degradation within the network that we all paid for. It accelerates things like tesla needing to bill for supercharging.

2. There is growing evidence that supercharging soon after another is finished--before the charger has a chance to cool down--results in lower charging rates. If someone pulls in just after another leaves, its a crap shoot for them whether they'll get the pre-warmed one, especially if the second person isn't as geeky as most of us on TMC about how to choose the best charger.

3. Nefarious actions are the catalyst of societal degradation. We see it with local superchargers all the time: "Screw you, Jack, I paid for this". Actions like yours add another layer of "Tesla you suck, so I'm going to hit you where it hurts" that all the rest of us have to deal with from anyone who feels slighted by Tesla, regardless of how legitimate that claim. Few situations are best handled with the juvenile logic of justifying [what you perceive to be] bad behavior with bad behavior. This is not one of them.

4. Most importantly, Tesla has limited resources; it is in the best interest of Tesla to put their resources toward a) supporting their current customer base, and b) maximizing new customers. How many people use 6-50 adapters? A handful of current owners at best, and NO new owners. Your problem isn't the most important one for Tesla to solve. There are thousands of ways that Tesla can better apply their resources.

And...

3. Nefarious actions are the catalyst of societal degradation. We see it with local superchargers all the time: "Screw you, Jack, I paid for this". Actions like yours add another layer of "Tesla you suck, so I'm going to hit you where it hurts" that all the rest of us have to deal with from anyone who feels slighted by Tesla, regardless of how legitimate that claim. Few situations are best handled with the juvenile logic of justifying [what you perceive to be] bad behavior with bad behavior. This is not one of them.

4. Most importantly, Tesla has limited resources; it is in the best interest of Tesla to put their resources toward a) supporting their current customer base, and b) maximizing new customers. How many people use 6-50 adapters? A handful of current owners at best, and NO new owners. Your problem isn't the most important one for Tesla to solve. There are thousands of ways that Tesla can better apply their resources.

Amen, well said. Why screw over dozens and eventually hundreds of thousands of other people because you are throwing a fit about an adapter? It's like a little kid having a temper tantrum in the restaurant a to irritate everyone around him.

If I had an adapter I'd send it just so they would STFU and maybe that's what they want. I hate this kind of "If I can't have it, you all are going to suffer" bully behavior. They never have the vision to see that their actions are contributory against the community at large, it's all about them.

That's why we can't have nice things. And why what nice things we have are going to erode away.

Last edited:
We should also remember that Tesla never recommended a 6-50 outlet as a charging solution for the Model S. 14-50 was the default from day 1, although early buyers could ask for a 6-50 adapter to be supplied with the UMC rather than 14-50. That was to make it easy for those who already had a 6-50 outlet available, but that choice ended very quickly and the 6-50s were soon only available for sale along with the two 30A adapters. Somewhere I saw that a total of 2000 of the 14-30, 10-30, and 6-50 adapters were recalled. Of those, I suspect 6-50 were the least common, so under 1000 total, and few of those were used routinely. Mostly they were kept in a charging kit for traveling.

Reactions: bxr140
Whoa there, cowboy. Keep 'er on the trail and not out in the mesquite.

From Tesla, Jan. 11 - truncated:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

"Tesla has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain NEMA 6-50 adapters...lead(ing) to overheating...Tesla is replacing the adapters...which will remedy the defect...If you believe that Tesla has failed...to remedy this within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to (NHTSA)."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Okay, so you are on record as saying the 6-50 was "never recommended" and are implying it is my and other such users' burden to fix, so to speak, where Tesla fell down on the job? That's an interesting take.

Moreover, in that anyone who knows electrical knows just what is in the 14-50 and 6-50 adapters, and how numbingly easy it is to produce both of them simultaneously, would agree that a little pressure on the company is all that should be necessary for them to do what is right....AND what they have said, multiple times since October, that they were going to do.

Last word on this subject: some of you are new to TMC or otherwise sheltered in which subforms you frequent. As such, it is possible you're unaware that my local SpC is one of the least frequented in the entire SpC universe; that I was instrumental in getting Tesla to install it and this community to allow it; that my usage is waaaaaay less than your average Californian (whence come most of the complaints here); and other certain aspects of my relation to Tesla that make your digs at me risible to those with just a bit more perspicacity.

Last word on this subject: some of you are new to TMC or otherwise sheltered in which subforms you frequent. As such, it is possible you're unaware that my local SpC is one of the least frequented in the entire SpC universe; that I was instrumental in getting Tesla to install it and this community to allow it; that my usage is waaaaaay less than your average Californian (whence come most of the complaints here); and other certain aspects of my relation to Tesla that make your digs at me risible to those with just a bit more perspicacity.

So, just to clarify, you feel like you should receive some sort of special treatment from Tesla because of your claimed involvement with locating that supercharger? That they owe you something for your service? Something extra that others don't get?

And just to clarify, you believe that local supercharger abuse is justified at typically underutilized superchargers?

Whoa there, cowboy. Keep 'er on the trail and not out in the mesquite.

From Tesla, Jan. 11 - truncated:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

"Tesla has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain NEMA 6-50 adapters...lead(ing) to overheating...Tesla is replacing the adapters...which will remedy the defect...If you believe that Tesla has failed...to remedy this within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to (NHTSA)."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Okay, so you are on record as saying the 6-50 was "never recommended" and are implying it is my and other such users' burden to fix, so to speak, where Tesla fell down on the job? That's an interesting take.
Not at all. I'm not saying "never recommended" as in Tesla advised against it. I meant it wasn't recommended as in it wasn't the recommended solution for home charging, just as 30A outlets aren't the recommended choice. The UMC comes with 14-50 adapter and the website has advice on installing a 14-50 outlet. Tesla made a 6-50 adapter for a while to accommodate people who had one at home or might encounter one while traveling, especially before supercharging and destination charging became more common. I agree Tesla should come out with a replacement as they did for the 14-30, but those are much more common and the replacements took over a month. The 6-50 will probably take longer as it affects fewer people, a few hundred at the most and more likely just a few dozen owners. Your charging situation is an outlier, that's all.

Also I don't consider your supercharger use while waiting for the 6-50 adapter replacement to be abuse. You called it that, I didn't. I just don't think it's going to pressure Tesla into coming up with a replacement any sooner and I don't think you should be supercharging with that in mind. Just do it because you need the charge.

Last edited: