Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, please show me a version of the 2012 website that actually said that. You can use: archive.org to see nearly any date of teslamotors.com.
Did you even try?

I'm not sure if you are trying to split hairs to catch him on the use of that exact phrase, but here some examples from November 2012:
They’re designed to give road trippers half a charge in about half an hour.

Supercharging is a game-changing solution to a common question – how to enable long road trips in an electric vehicle

This allows Model S to efficiently charge at highway speeds when you’re out on the open road.

And, as @Ugliest1 said "since September 2012", here's an example of the current version of the page:

The Supercharger network enables long distance travel

Reactions: KJD
Long and sometimes slightly vicious posts on this little nugget sprinkled all around TMC in various threads. "Specified" is too ...restrictive... a word. Sometimes Tesla's web site (since September 2012) has included "for long distance travel" and sometimes not, but never in a way that specifically precluded local charging. So the debate raged within the two extremes of "always intended for long distance travel and you local guys shouldn't hog all the spots" and "I paid for it, dammit, and I'll use it, dammit, and Tesla never told me I couldn't at the time I paid for it, dammit".

IMHO Tesla's current plan of 1,000kWh free annually is a good thing.

As one of those early adopters who got "free charging for life", I have to say that those who want to crowd in at the front of the line because they paid for it dammit, are technically right.

The difference is that some of us were brought up, admittedly many years ago, to respect other's rights, too. That means that someone coming up to the line limping should get a cut in line. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen much any more.

It's all about "me getting here first and I paid for it dammit." Sad. It would be so much easier for a local to get their weekly charge up at 6AM instead of 2PM when the travelers are trying to get enough charge to make it home. Instead the local expects the traveler to come in at 2AM so it won't interfere with locals' "rights".

As one of those early adopters who got "free charging for life", I have to say that those who want to crowd in at the front of the line because they paid for it dammit, are technically right.

The difference is that some of us were brought up, admittedly many years ago, to respect other's rights, too. That means that someone coming up to the line limping should get a cut in line. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen much any more.

It's all about "me getting here first and I paid for it dammit." Sad. It would be so much easier for a local to get their weekly charge up at 6AM instead of 2PM when the travelers are trying to get enough charge to make it home. Instead the local expects the traveler to come in at 2AM so it won't interfere with locals' "rights".

Well technically, we all "paid" for it, remember that $2000 either paid separately or included in the cost of the car. It's just that some of us have a better lifetime rate than others. As for the entitlement that some are more deserving, I would hope that people's respect for others would trump a crappy me-first attitude. If I'm there for a splash and not on a time constraint, I'd like to think I'll let the out-of-towner get 30min before I started my own charge.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka

Wait, I didn't pay for it too? I thought I did and that it was baked into the price of the car. Tesla raised prices but decoupled unlimited charging. You have no reason to think that just because someone is paying by the minute or kwh that they have higher priority than you. Remember, even in the beginning the 60 price was already decoupled from charging and you had to pay extra to charge the 60 if you wanted supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Wait, I didn't pay for it too? I thought I did and that it was baked into the price of the car. Tesla raised prices but decoupled unlimited charging. You have no reason to think that just because someone is paying by the minute or kwh that they have higher priority than you. Remember, even in the beginning the 60 price was already decoupled from charging and you had to pay extra to charge the 60 if you wanted supercharging.
It was. Don't worry.

Really? Can you quote whatever it is from the link you provided that implies that superchargers should be used only for long distance travel?
Probably this?
"Superchargers are for refueling quickly on road trips."

I think actually Tesla's narrative was from the start that Superchargers were for road trips and this didn't change until somewhere around 2014-2015 when they started introducing superchargers inside large cities (like London, Hong Kong) for those without home charging. That was what diluted the message and made confusion (as now they are also for daily charging), not the other way around. The walked back on that in the US with the daily supercharging notices.
Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

Last edited:
No one is bringing up the fact of all the mis-information that sales people were giving out with regards to supercharging for free for daily use and never paying for fuel again, in order to ease range anxiety (and possibly make a sale). In their defense, they may have been ignorant of the true intent of the network and/or Tesla's stance on the issue.

When I go to my timeshare in the mountains, I can do the whole round trip with 75% of a my 75 kWH availability. I usually charge for a few days at 120 v just because I can and it provides an extra buffer of security. Thinking I may not want to do that anymore unless it's really cold.

If i is really cold, the car will no charge until the battery warms up. Plugging into a 120V plug does not have enough amps to warm the battery so the charger will never start.

No one is bringing up the fact of all the mis-information that sales people were giving out with regards to supercharging for free for daily use and never paying for fuel again, in order to ease range anxiety (and possibly make a sale). In their defense, they may have been ignorant of the true intent of the network and/or Tesla's stance on the issue.

Indeed, we have enough reports of this (and common sense) to conclude this was the case. And as Tesla has had (almost) no dealership sales, these people were - and speaking for - Tesla proper.

At the very least, I think it would be fair to say, Tesla HQ let the misunderstanding linger through a couple of years to the benefit of their sales. When issues arose, then they walked back on the "misunderstanding", but that of course does not change the fact that many people were sold on the car with the explicit suggestion to use Superchargers for most, if not all, of their charging.

Last edited:
Did you even try?

I'm not sure if you are trying to split hairs to catch him on the use of that exact phrase, but here some examples from November 2012:

And, as @Ugliest1 said "since September 2012", here's an example of the current version of the page:

It is true that the problem the Supercharger network was built to solve was the long range driving - and that the original 2012 announcement is worded to that effect. I am sure this is beyond dispute for anyone who has paid any attention.

What is far more controversial is what happened since and how Tesla marketed the product since (until the change of wording in 2015). That matters even more, because those wordings were what sold most of the Model S fleet in 2013-2015, not some 2012 press release.

It was, basically, marketed as a very simple all you can eat product on both Tesla.com and by the Tesla sales people. I think this is fair to say. If any limitation was thought to be there, it was mostly not even implied, let alone explicit. Heck, it was not explicit even in the original press release. And, of course, Tesla even built Superchargers inside big cities for apartment-dweller charging and publicized this.

And the reason, IMO, seems perfectly clear: Whatever its origin, Supercharging quickly became a wider sales obstacle remover and it was used effectively. No limits Supercharging (local included) was used as a means to seal the deal with people who had concerns that could be overcome with that idea. Both by Tesla sales and, of course, also in the Tesla owner community who were more than happy to parrot this line because it made Tesla look good and because, in reality, we knew this is how Tesla promoted it too.

Once the balance of sales obstacle removal vs. Supercharging becoming an issue tended to swing towards the latter (partly helped by the fact that other charging opportunities have increased greatly since 2012, and mostly caused by Tesla vehicle numbers going up), Tesla walked back on the earlier policy and instituted the new wording on Supercharging and even sent a round of notes to regular local Superchargers. Since then the idle charges and loss of FUSC have been further steps to that effect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

Right, when I bought my X they literally said "you live so close to the supercharger you might never need to charge at home."