Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is true that the problem the Supercharger network was built to solve was the long range driving - and that the original 2012 announcement is worded to that effect. I am sure this is beyond dispute for anyone who has paid any attention.

What is far more controversial is what happened since and how Tesla marketed the product since (until the change of wording in 2015). That matters even more, because those wordings were what sold most of the Model S fleet in 2013-2015, not some 2012 press release.

It was, basically, marketed as a very simple all you can eat product on both Tesla.com and by the Tesla sales people. I think this is fair to say. If any limitation was thought to be there, it was mostly not even implied, let alone explicit. Heck, it was not explicit even in the original press release. And, of course, Tesla even built Superchargers inside big cities for apartment-dweller charging and publicized this.

And the reason, IMO, seems perfectly clear: Whatever its origin, Supercharging quickly became a wider sales obstacle remover and it was used effectively. No limits Supercharging (local included) was used as a means to seal the deal with people who had concerns that could be overcome with that idea. Both by Tesla sales and, of course, also in the Tesla owner community who were more than happy to parrot this line because it made Tesla look good and because, in reality, we knew this is how Tesla promoted it too.

Once the balance of sales obstacle removal vs. Supercharging becoming an issue tended to swing towards the latter (partly helped by the fact that other charging opportunities have increased greatly since 2012, and mostly caused by Tesla vehicle numbers going up), Tesla walked back on the earlier policy and instituted the new wording on Supercharging and even sent a round of notes to regular local Superchargers. Since then the idle charges and loss of FUSC have been further steps to that effect.

With subsequent messaging, the payment program, etc..., Tesla's intent is pretty clear. I'm not going down that road again who want to ignore the collateral supporting it all along

@sorka made it sound as if he hadn't seen any messaging around usage as early as 2012. Instead it appears he wants to split hairs. He's welcome to it.

@Cellsaver:

I fail to see the words "for free"?

This was on the front page of Tesla's website for a while. Sure if you clicked through it talked about road trips, but the initial impression you get with this kind of advertising is it can be used for anything. Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

I think there is a good argument Tesla was sending mixed messages about the superchargers in the past to sell cars because it suited them. Now it doesn't, so they have changed the messaging.

IMG_0323.jpg

I have to wonder if the idle fee was imposed when the supercharger network was launched if the locals charging problem would have ever gotten as bad as it got. In most cases it was the "Locals leaving their cars for a long time" problem. I do understand in CA there were some legitimate overcrowding situations though.

Then again, there was no way the system could sustain itself indefinitely. Idle fee or no, when 500,000 Model 3's get added to the road each year it would have crashed at some point.

Reactions: KJD and sorka
With subsequent messaging, the payment program, etc..., Tesla's intent is pretty clear. I'm not going down that road again who want to ignore the collateral supporting it all along

@sorka made it sound as if he hadn't seen any messaging around usage as early as 2012. Instead it appears he wants to split hairs. He's welcome to it.

Your interpretation of my interpretation is 100% spot on :D

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
I have to wonder if the idle fee was imposed when the supercharger network was launched if the locals charging problem would have ever gotten as bad as it got.

For sure the multi-hour offenders contribute, but I think the local charging problem is more about 'free' and less about how long some people left their cars plugged in.

It's really a moot point, as there are only 100,000 or so tesla owners that will ever know what it was like to have free supercharging and no idle fees. In 10 years when there are millions of teslas on the road...

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
For sure the multi-hour offenders contribute, but I think the local charging problem is more about 'free' and less about how long some people left their cars plugged in.

It's really a moot point, as there are only 100,000 or so tesla owners that will ever know what it was like to have free supercharging and no idle fees. In 10 years when there are millions of teslas on the road...[/QUO

I have been ripped all over TMC for admitting that I use a local SC to charge my vehicle. Even though the 10 Stall Fresno CA Supercharger is nearly always empty. I have personally seen a max of six vehicles once. The average number of vehicles charging is usually 2. Now that are vehicles show the numbers in the stalls this can be verified. Many anti Local SC critics miss the fact that I spend Lots of $$$ in the shops and restaurants in and around Superchargers. In the 2 years prior to owning a Tesla I estimate I spent about $00 in the shops near the SC. In the last six months since owning a Tesla I have spent over $1000. This behavior should help spread the desire of shop owners and resturants to provide real estate for SCing or even pay a little for the electricity. I believe local chargers are helping the network grow.

Yes I have traveled in California and have had to wait to charge, yea it sucks.

I have been ripped all over TMC for admitting that I use a local SC to charge my vehicle. Even though the 10 Stall Fresno CA Supercharger is nearly always empty. I have personally seen a max of six vehicles once. The average number of vehicles charging is usually 2. Now that are vehicles show the numbers in the stalls this can be verified. Many anti Local SC critics miss the fact that I spend Lots of $$$ in the shops and restaurants in and around Superchargers. In the 2 years prior to owning a Tesla I estimate I spent about $00 in the shops near the SC. In the last six months since owning a Tesla I have spent over $1000. This behavior should help spread the desire of shop owners and resturants to provide real estate for SCing or even pay a little for the electricity. I believe local chargers are helping the network grow.

There's been so much discussion about this already. For superchargers, roadtrips are an explicit use-case Tesla has advertised from the start (no one disputes this use case). Occasional local use is also allowed (as described in the letter subject of this thread). Another one they started introducing around the 2015 time frame is for apartment dwellers (and similar) which have no access to home charging. However, frequent local use by those with home charging is explicitly frowned upon (again as subject of this thread).

Last edited:
I have been ripped all over TMC for admitting that I use a local SC to charge my vehicle.

Either you're abusing your local supercharger or you misunderstand the resistance to local supercharging.

Its not a binary thing; don't conflate the very small [but vocal] hard-liner opinions with the general TMC sentiment toward local charging. Very much speaking for others as this point, supercharging locally is okay as long as its done in moderation and with a mindset cognizant of others. Frequent local supercharging--especially when one has a home charging solution--is where [most] people on TMC direct their frustration.

Its not a binary thing; don't conflate the very small [but vocal] hard-liner opinions with the general TMC sentiment toward local charging. Very much speaking for others as this point, supercharging locally is okay as long as its done in moderation and with a mindset cognizant of others.
This sort of "softness" betrays you as a traitor to the anti-local-supercharging cause! I'd say start packing for the reeducation camp, 'cept
you're not allowed to bring anything. The most treacherous enemies are the so-called allies who don't share our true dedication to the cause! ;)

Either you're abusing your local supercharger or you misunderstand the resistance to local supercharging.

Its not a binary thing; don't conflate the very small [but vocal] hard-liner opinions with the general TMC sentiment toward local charging. Very much speaking for others as this point, supercharging locally is okay as long as its done in moderation and with a mindset cognizant of others. Frequent local supercharging--especially when one has a home charging solution--is where [most] people on TMC direct their frustration.

My post stated that The most vehicles I have ever seen charging is 6 out of 10. Usually its no more than 2. Maybe I charge Once a week. I spend money at the stores and restaurants in and around the supercharger.

I have been one of the martinets railing against SpC abuse; I said my piece very early in this thread and moved on without further contributing to the rancor in this thread.

So....am reappearing with an update:

I now am stridently, cantankerously and as blatantly as I can be, abusing the SpC conveniently near our winter home, as often as I can.

My reason is as follows: back in OCTOBER those of us with 6-50 charging adaptors were told they were being recalled as being deficient, and that replacement 6-50s "shortly" would be made available. Our garage being set up with a 6-50 receptacle, that of course is how we have been charging our Teslas. Unfortunately, both the adapter AND our wall receptacle have been showing distortion from excessive heat, and on occasion the dreaded red light comes on....

And so, we are using the SpC to charge and I have told our SvC of same. They weary of telling us that no further word has been forthcoming from HQ. A pretty irritating situation: for cry-i, just how hard can it be to re-manufacture that modest adaptor? How many are in consistent use?

So: until Tesla steps up and does the right thing, I'll continue to be a SpC abuser. And no one will be happier than I when that no longer is the case. I'm really not looking forward to having burned up two Teslas and a fine house.