Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every now and again there is some indication that this forum hosts a few intelligent people. Certainly would be nice if one or two of them could come up with a way to tap into all the energy that's been expended in this thread - probably could power the entire Model S fleet for a very long time.

TEG: regarding V2G: how difficult would it be for TM to note that VIN99999 has "consumed" 888kWh of SuperCharger power....in the course of traveling only 40 miles....corrective action likely to ensue, don't you think?

I think that they originally stated for long distance travel, and then marketing changed it to "use it as much as you like", and "unlimited", most likely to spur sales. Now we have this mess. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't abuse supercharging myself, but it is what it is.

Well, to me, Tesla marketed for long distance travel, and then used FAQs to *clarify* for people "no, we're not kidding, you really can use it as much as you like, it's unlimited" (because, you know, the normal reaction is Free? Really? No way! How can they DO that? That's amazing!! Are you kidding me?). But the CONTEXT was for long distance travel. Just not explicitly stated each and every time.

...TEG: regarding V2G: how difficult would it be for TM to note that VIN99999 has "consumed" 888kWh of SuperCharger power....in the course of traveling only 40 miles....corrective action likely to ensue, don't you think?

Yeah, for sure... And if they enable V2G, they would likely be able to track the outflows too... But if people think they have a "free SC power for life" agreement, they might still feel entitled.
I suppose cars that someday offer V2G would come with some more detailed policy agreement... Perhaps Tesla could charge you for outflow power that came from a free Supercharger.

Good grief people. "Free" is only one attribute. "Unlimited" is another.

Just because something can be offered for free and unlimited doesn't mean there can't be other conditions.

My local Red Robin offer "Bottomless Fries". Additional servings are free (i.e. built in to the cost structure of the initial order) , and unlimited (you can eat as many as you want).

But, I can't resume requesting those fries the next day. I can't use my order to feed my party of 12. I can't ask for 8 additional servings to take home.

You can't pick and choose what sentences you want to read and which you want to ignore. Look at that ad. The top portion conveys the stipulations within which the "free and unlimited" usage is granted.

This isn't that hard... unless you want it to be for your own advantage.

Last edited:
Well, to me, Tesla marketed for long distance travel, and then used FAQs to *clarify* for people "no, we're not kidding, you really can use it as much as you like, it's unlimited" (because, you know, the normal reaction is Free? Really? No way! How can they DO that? That's amazing!! Are you kidding me?). But the CONTEXT was for long distance travel. Just not explicitly stated each and every time.
That exactly how I understood Super Chargers When I bought mine.

I knew they were for long distance travel, and that I could use them for that purpose for free, for the life of the car.

This was probably posted before, but someone created a blog about this a few months back:

Can you use Superchargers for your daily needs? | Tesla Living

Oh, and by the way, I was watching the "Kingsman" movie the other night...
They have a Model S in a few scenes.
They use what appears to be a hyperloop of sorts.
The villain has to call "E" to borrow one of his satellites.
And his ploy to take over the world starts with giving everyone free internet for life...

Last edited:
For the record (because I'm suddenly feeling a need to clarify statements I've made in the past):

When I've told people they are welcome to 'charge at my house anytime', I did NOT mean:
1) You are free to show up at 3am or any other time that I should reasonably be sleeping, and,
2) You should expect to use my house as your primary charging site & avoid putting in your own charging solution at your house.

Whew. Dodged that bullet.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerHScott
For the record (because I'm suddenly feeling a need to clarify statements I've made in the past):

When I've told people they are welcome to 'charge at my house anytime', I did NOT mean:
1) You are free to show up at 3am or any other time that I should reasonably be sleeping, and,
2) You should not expect to use my house as your primary charging site & avoid putting in your own charging solution at your house.

But what about the toilet paper?? ;)

2) You should expect to use my house as your primary charging site & avoid putting in your own charging solution at your house.

Nope. Too late. Qualifiers after the fact are not allowed. See you at 3:00 a.m.

Wow! I think Elon achieved exactly what he intended to with his remark... which simply is nothing more than for Tesla owners to think about their actions and try to behave like adults when interpreting promises made.

I think we're almost there. Another 200 posts or so and some of us will stop trying to stuff our Tesla's with "unlimited, free" electrons like little children stuff themselves with free, unlimited Halloween candy... :biggrin:

I guess the words: free, unlimited invoke some pretty basic primitive human instincts in many of us... :confused:

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving...

(It's only going to get worse until the X is delivered.)
Alas, no, it'll get even worser once the X is delivered.* And gosh knows how we are going to cope when the 3 actually ships.

*Unless by that you (bonnie) mean you'll be signing off of TMC once you have X #2 and will be hauling dogs and stuff happily while you supercharge often in blissful ignorance of the storm that will be this thread, and the ones that are sure to come.

*Unless by that you (bonnie) mean you'll be signing off of TMC once you have X #2 and will be hauling dogs and stuff happily while you supercharge often in blissful ignorance of the storm that will be this thread, and the ones that are sure to come.

I'll be sending postcards, "Greetings from Nirvana, Wish You Were Here" as I travel long-distance for free, on my most excellent adventure.

:)

TEG: regarding V2G: how difficult would it be for TM to note that VIN99999 has "consumed" 888kWh of SuperCharger power....in the course of traveling only 40 miles....corrective action likely to ensue, don't you think?

The "free unlimited" crowd would argue that Tesla can't be enforcing that. After all, it's free and unlimited with no qualifications and restrictions (and don't any of you DARE saying that there is a "for Model S" clause).

But come to think of it, why wait for Tesla to offer V2G?

We can start a Kickstarter campaign to buy Model S batteries and SuperCharge them, then deliver them to grow-ops for usage, then swap them out. Back of the napkin calculations tell me that each battery can yield about $20'000 a year. Pays for itself in just over a year, and then the rest is gravy.

Who's with me? (wk057, we're going to need you on this one).

Wow! I think Elon achieved exactly what he intended to with his remark... which simply is nothing more than for Tesla owners to think about their actions and try to behave like adults when interpreting promises made.

I think we're almost there. Another 200 posts or so and some of us will stop trying to stuff our Tesla's with "unlimited, free" electrons like little children stuff themselves with free, unlimited Halloween candy... :biggrin:

I guess the words: free, unlimited invoke some pretty basic primitive human instincts in many of us... :confused:

It's not about "Free and Unlimited". It's about a company that appears to be going back on an established policy. When the iPhone came out, AT&T had no tiered data plan. Your data plan was "Unlimited" A year later, when they realized that the popular iPhone was pushing their infrastructure hard, they started to throttle high bandwidth users. Was this cool? No. Users who watched Netflix, Hulu and other bandwidth intensive apps were suddenly discriminated against because they chose to use the plan exactly as enabled. But the silver lining was that it forced AT&T (and Verizon) to expand and improve their network. They saw a need for larger and faster networks to meet the obvious demand. Jump to 7 years later and most people are using more bandwidth now but at a lower cost than back then. The key isn't to discourage local usage. It is to build out the network to support the demand and in turn also drive demand.

Last edited:
It's not about "Free and Unlimited". It's about a company that appears to be going back on an established policy. When the iPhone came out, AT&T had no tiered data plan. Your data plan was "Unlimited" A year later, when they realized that the popular iPhone was pushing their infrastructure hard, they started to throttle high bandwidth users. Was this cool? No. Users who watched Netflix, Hulu and other bandwidth intensive apps were suddenly discriminated against because they chose to use the plan as intended. But the silver lining was that it forced AT&T (and Verizon) to expand and improve their network. They saw a need for larger and faster networks to meet the obvious demand. Jump to 7 years later and most people are using more bandwidth now but at a lower cost than back then. The key isn't to discourage local usage. It is to build out the network to support the demand and in turn also drive demand.

There's a big difference between Internet and charging. If there's a lot of Internet traffic, stuff slows down, and then streaming software lowers quality to maintain the stream, lowering data demands. Can't do that with charging. Providers can also cache to reduce data transmission (less so with cell). Right now the big push is shifting usage to wifi, advertized as convenience but really saving money and cellular bandwidth. Can't do that with charging. With charging, contention becomes like having HD streaming software that can't adapt, making it unwatchable at busy periods, which reduces the appeal of the software.

Also, understand the physical issue: more cell use, more equipment on a tower; more charger use, more equipment on the ground, more parking spaces.

If people are like me, they'd need to use a Supercharger maybe 10 times a year at most, and that's only in years with longer trips. Now consider a person who uses a Supercharger every day: that makes them equivalent to at least 36 mes, and they'll charge at peak times.

Charger use is not like cell use. Contention has huge negative effects because you don't degrade quality, you have people sitting in their car waiting for amparking spot.