Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Etiquette (or a complete lack thereof)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I once stayed at a hotel with a Supercharger. I needed a full charge, but I felt it was not OK to leave the car plugged in. So I charged to 85% and then topped off in the morning. What a waste of time. It took extra long as it was cold and the charge rate was reduced. I really wanted to just plug in and have the timer start the charge so it would be done just when I want to leave and have the battery warm.
A bit off the rant topic being discussed here but can you actually do a delayed charge at a supercharger?

A bit off the rant topic being discussed here but can you actually do a delayed charge at a supercharger?
No. The specified time is greyed out during that time. The only time you can delay it is if you're an ass and don't even plug in but park in a SC spot. Now that I think about this more, I suppose you can manually stop the process through your app or from the CID, then use your app to turn it back on. Again the person is being an ass then.

Possibly I am the only person who hs not had the problems. I have driven 27,000 miles from Florida to Quebec and Ontario, New Orleans, Michigan, and New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire. I have never been Iced at a Supercharger. In fact the only icing I have had was yesterday at a supermarket near my Florida home which has just installed dual Schneider chargers but has no signage indicating EV only. I still managed to charge.

I hope my good luck continues...I am not really expecting that, but I am grateful for the good luck so far.

You can't change some peoples behavior.

There are people who there who don't even have the ability to change their own behavior.
I am certainly NOT going to challenge a person over $1.70 worth of electricity. I would rather Pay $1.70 at a non-Tesla charger than argue with people who can't control themselves. My peace of mind is worth $1.70 any time of the day.

We have to think - not simply feel.

Reactions: ModelX
Possibly I am the only person who hs not had the problems. I have driven 27,000 miles from Florida to Quebec and Ontario, New Orleans, Michigan, and New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire. I have never been Iced at a Supercharger. In fact the only icing I have had was yesterday at a supermarket near my Florida home which has just installed dual Schneider chargers but has no signage indicating EV only. I still managed to charge.

I hope my good luck continues...I am not really expecting that, but I am grateful for the good luck so far.
Its no luck. These issues only occur at a hand full of SC's at best. People here are stating the issue as though its a Nationwide Pandemic.

You realize these problems are mostly limited to California, right? I've taken more than a dozen 1k+ mile road trips in my Model S on the east coast and midland, and have never seen any of those issues*.. and at least 50% of the time on these trips, I was the only car at the superchargers. I do understand that these issues are huge problems at some CA superchargers, but I just don't want new people reading this thread to think it's a system-wide, nation-wide problem.

Oh, but it will be a problem once they start cranking out 200k+ model 3 per year, and it is likely that most of them will not have considered the situations and implications discussed here.

Its not Teslas problem to solve.

Tesla's problem to solve is the customer experience and brand promise. They need to minimize the impact the uneducated and inconsiderate have on others,

Oh, but it will be a problem once they start cranking out 200k+ model 3 per year, and it is likely that most of them will not have considered the situations and implications discussed here.

Tesla's problem to solve is the customer experience and brand promise. They need to minimize the impact the uneducated and inconsiderate have on others,
Yes, but I thought Elon said that SC'ing won't be "free" for the M3. If its not free ( or part of some kind of package ) then I'm not sure you are going to have this issue. As I have stated before - Lets just be patient. They are installing SC's every day.

This issue is only happening at a hand full of facilities - if that. Lets not make this look like a pandemic.

You can't change some peoples behavior.

There are people who there who don't even have the ability to change their own behavior.
I am certainly NOT going to challenge a person over $1.70 worth of electricity. I would rather Pay $1.70 at a non-Tesla charger than argue with people who can't control themselves. My peace of mind is worth $1.70 any time of the day.

We have to think - not simply feel.
So does that make you an enabler then? Charging at a non-Tesla charger will yield much slower charge. So unless you're not in a hurry, what is that time worth?

I totally disagree that it's teslas problem to solve. I don't remember Tesla promising anything about SC's and availability at the SC's. The crowding of SC's is associated with unethical idiots. Tesla isn't responsible for unethical idiots.
What if a ICE refueling station is permanently crowded - who would you blame? Oh that's right - you would just go to another station - because they are everywhere. Guess what folks - Charging stations are literally Everywhere. They are not all Tesla SC's.

EV Trip Planner

So does that make you an enabler then? Charging at a non-Tesla charger will yield much slower charge. So unless you're not in a hurry, what is that time worth?
Call me whatever you want. I've not cared about that kind of stuff for a long time now. I'm too old/mature.

So...you have a Tesla driver in a hurry? Late? Hmmmm.... wonder who's fault that was. If a persons time is so valuable - treat it better - take care of it better.

Yes, but I thought Elon said that SC'ing won't be "free" for the M3. If its not free ( or part of some kind of package ) then I'm not sure you are going to have this issue. As I have stated before - Lets just be patient. They are installing SC's every day.

This issue is only happening at a hand full of facilities - if that. Lets not make this look like a pandemic.

Interestingly, depending on how Tesla sets up the payment for supercharging on the 3, it could potentially make this worse. If they charge, say, $2k to add supercharging to the car, then people are going to feel entitled to use the superchargers as much as possible (and probably using them more than they NEED to) to make sure they "get their money's worth". It might also make some folks feel entitled to park, etc at supercharger spots (because they paid for the privilege)

Tesla needs to come out with an official terms of service for supercharger use that all buyers agree to or the whole thing may become a disaster if they continue to just rely on people's good nature to keep the system working properly. Then they can make rules and enforce them.

I am in the camp that California's supercharging situation is the canary in the coal mine.

Reactions: Kipernicus and KJD
Thought I would share my daughter's lovely experience last Friday...

She plugged into a supercharger and went to a Walmart around the corner to pick up one item (wouldn't take more than 20 minutes). After about 10 minutes she got notified that her charge had been interrupted.

She returned to the car to find that it, indeed, had stopped. Apparently (best as we can figure) someone pulled into the paired supercharger and, to increase their speed, stopped her charge. When she restarted she was now secondary and charging much more slowly.

As rude as that was, the people also stayed at the supercharger for at least 1 hour and 15 minutes. At this point my daughter (as secondary) had enough charge to leave, so it may have been even longer. There were multiple people waiting the entire time.

This is only going to get worse as the Model ≡ rolls out and SC congestion gets heavier.

Last edited:
@Lloyd , please share! Come on, man, what did you do?
No, actually, really. I have not heard of any examples to date. I would love to know what happened and how they and you handled it.

Well, One time I was at Barstow, all slots full 5 cars waiting, and there was a car that had been sitting fully charged for over an hour while I was there. I called Tesla, Gave them the VIN, and about 15 minutes later an ICE pulled up with the owner and moved the car. They took off again in the ICE.

Another time, I was making an 700 mile trip in one day and called the store in Fashion Island and asked if they could reserve the HPWC there to enable me to complete my trip in one day. They agreed. When I arrived the slot was taken by another tesla whose owner was in the mall. The owner was called (out of a movie, Sorry if you read this) and they gave the Tesla employee the key to move the car for me. This was before there were any superchargers south of Hawthorne.

Reactions: KJD
She returned to the car to find that it, indeed, had stopped. Apparently (best as we can figure) someone pulled into the paired supercharger and, to increase their speed, stopped her charge. When she restarted she was now secondary and charging much more slowly.

How is it possible to stop another car from Supercharging if you don't have their key fob or Tesla App access to their car?