Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging expectation - 3 year old car - share your experience please

What's a typical rate you get at a Supercharger when you are at 50% SOC?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 S70 with 30,000 miles. When supercharging, I'm now only getting a maximum of 50 kW (around 160 mi/hr) when the battery is between 10%-60% SOC. I took it in for service and they were able to get 72 kW and 189 mi/hr.

I recall it getting over 400 mi/hr last year - but I don't have screenshots or anything to substantiate my memory. I couldn't find this data elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks in advance!

There’s no such thing as a 2017 S70. Typo?

That said, my 2016 S75 at 106,000 miles tops out around 120kw and is probably around 70-80kw by 50%. Been a while since I’ve checked.

There was an S70 for a short period of time in 2016 but pretty sure it was a 75 by 2017 although I vaguely remember there was also a short period of time the S75 could be had a locked S70. Was that in the beginning of 2017?

There was an S70 for a short period of time in 2016 but pretty sure it was a 75 by 2017 although I vaguely remember there was also a short period of time the S75 could be had a locked S70. Was that in the beginning of 2017?
By 2017 it was all software locked 60 or 75.

There were some “70s” For a very brief time in early 2016 that were actually locked 75s, produced before they officially announced the 75 battery.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I don't think your survey is gonna do much here. Even though you want the rate at 50% SOC it will still depend on ambient and battery temperature so those have to be included as well. Then there's the numerous issues with SuC stalls. Some just never get above 50kW. Some reduce rates when cables get hot. And don't forget you also may have to share.

There are a lot of threads here discussing all of this. The rule of thumb if nothing is wrong with the stall and battery temps are up (i.e. you started charging well below 50% SOC) is that adding the kW rate and the SOC% plus 100 minus battery size should net you a value of 120 or so. This is higher at lower SOC, upwards of 160 but for the most part when you are in the mid range this rule applies. So your 50kW at 50% is right on the mark and the 72kW the SC got is likely because the batteries were hot.

400 mi/hr (about 120kW into an MS) is something you are only going to see at lower SOC

I've got a 2014 P85, and I'm getting about 50-60KW. Am I being throttled or is this normal? I've seen several threads that talk about how there are other threads, where is THE thread about what should be considered normal? Thanks!

Recent session snapshots for my P85DL:
i-4rtR6Mx-L.jpg
i-3PmdQkz-L.jpg
i-ZxgCcfM-L.jpg
i-CxJnF2B-L.jpg

Well had the chance to using supercharger at Crestview Florida. There were 2 vehicles out of 7 stalls available. My SOC was 49% so that is close to the 50% spec. I got 472 mi/hr on my 2020 MSP Raven.

M

View attachment 686932

That was within a minute of plugging in. If you want to demonstrate what you were actually getting at that SOC, you need to wait for at least 1 kwh in before taking the picture. I hit 140KW sometimes at 250KW chargers right after plugging in, but it quickly drops right after it hits peak.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
So one thing that I've noticed is that my optimal max charge SOC + KW is 105 to 110 even when the battery is warmed to optimal if I'm not navigating on a long trip.

If I am navigating on a long trip, my max will still be a combined 105 to 110. But if I'm navigating on a long trip and I arrive at a 250 KW charger that is in heavy use, my max SOC + KW is closer to 125 all the way through the charge...very nearly the max before the charge gate software. This leads me to conclude that Tesla is raising the max charge taper when it wants you to out of the charging stall quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle and BigNick
Looking through charging history long before I even had teslafi:

This one shows what it was new. I was getting 151 SOC+KW. Max I ever see today is 125 and only under optimal conditions and only at a crowded 250KW charger.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 10.35.12 AM.png

This one is funny. I was only getting 125 combined SOC+KW which is the most I could ever see today under special circumstances with Tesla wanting me out of a crowded supercharger. Typical today under optimal is 110 when not at a crowded supercharger or not traveling with multiple superchargers in the route planner.

The reason this is funny is if you look at the right, you'll see my call to that 877 number which is Tesla charging support. I called them to complain about the unusually slow supercharging rate!!!!!!! They confirmed that there was a problem with the utility and that the supercharger was operating at a reduced level.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 10.34.50 AM.png

It was well over 400 for first 10 mins or so. Next time I charge I will do a vid. Even at 90% I was ~130 some.

M

View attachment 686995
Don't use miles per hour to gauge how fast your car is charging at any moment. It's a goofy, derived number that averages out over the entire charging session. The only meaningful number is kw.

I have a 2017 S70 with 30,000 miles. When supercharging, I'm now only getting a maximum of 50 kW (around 160 mi/hr) when the battery is between 10%-60% SOC. I took it in for service and they were able to get 72 kW and 189 mi/hr.

I recall it getting over 400 mi/hr last year - but I don't have screenshots or anything to substantiate my memory. I couldn't find this data elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks in advance!
If you frequently Supercharge maybe Tesla has reduced your charging speed.

Reactions: WhiteWi