Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging fee Rates and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, for this example, I'll use the Model 3 Long Range and State of PA

Supercharging

Currently, in PA, they charge .10 per minute when the charge is below 60 kW, and .20 per minute above 60 kW

So, with the long range, 310 Miles, and your standard charge is around 90%. Assuming the battery is 70kWH, 90% is 63 kWH with a range of 279 Miles. If I put around 200 Miles per week on the car, from a 90% charge, that would be 79 miles left.

I pull up to the super charger, 1st 30 minutes takes me to 249 miles and would cost $3

With a 70 kWH battery at 100%, 249 miles...that'd put you at 56kWH. Assuming the rate will drop as you get closer to full, lets say 10 minutes to get the final 30 miles, around 1/2 of which would be over 60 kWH. So, 5 minutes under 60 kW, 5 minutes above. Or, $1.50

So, $4.50

So, a weekly recharge at a super charger would be 40 minutes and cost $4.50. Does that seem correct? Am I off in how I'm calculating this? Any unrealistic expectations, etc?

(before the people come and tell me I should charge at home, my wife and I are living in a townhouse and are moving twice for her fellowship in the next 2 years, so we may or may not have access to a home outlet. Once we own our own place, I'll have a high speed charger installed)

I think, but am not certain, that the 20-cent charge for more than 60kWh and the 10-cent charge for less than 60kWh has to do with the current, not the quantity you receive.

For example, you pull into the Supercharger with 10% battery. The first 20 minutes you receive a current >= 60kWh of electricity. You are charged $4.00. In the twenty-first minute the current drops to <60kWh, and you remain plugged in for another 15 minutes. You are charged a buck-fifty for those fifteen minutes. Total charge = $5.50, regardless of the amount of charge added to your battery.

Put another way, if the maximum current that you receive upon plugging in is 50kWh, then your entire session will be billed to you at a dime per minute. If it takes 48 minutes to attain the same state of charge under this second scenario as you would have under the first scenario, your cost under the second scenario would be $4.80 instead of $5.50.

This pricing scheme tries to take into consideration two factors: The first factor is that stalls are paired, and the second to plug in frequently receives a significantly reduced current until the first to charge starts to taper. The second factor is that some Superchargers experience external issues that reduce charging speed.

Please don't confuse residential electric rates with commercial which have a very high demand component. Without some special provision (which I think would be very hard/impossible to get due to state-based regulations), Tesla's Supercharger electricity cost will be several times higher to charge than you charging at home.

If Tesla only charges its actual cost for electricity, and nothing for its capital cost for the supercharger station or on-going maintenance costs, it will still have to charge several times your estimates.

That is still in-line with its statements that filling up with the Supercharger will be less than filling a tank of fuel with premium gas.

Sorry to be Donnie Downer, but this reality check is not Tesla's fault; it is all due to the very high demand component of commercial electricity rates.

Its looking a lot less attractive to buy a Model 3, most of us won’t get a tax credit, supercharging is costing us $$, I may just wait another year or two and see how things shake out
Not following. I suspect most US buyers currently have an income, so most will get the EV tax credit. If you wait, you lose out on that.

Supercharging costs like $500+/- to drive 15,000 miles...about $1500 cheaper than gas (using average SC rates and gas prices and mpg, ymmv). If you wait, you lose out on that savings as well.