Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging for larger form-factor vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first 22 posts of this thread were moved out of the thread for the Firebaugh, CA Supercharger.

Why do cybertrucks need a special stall? Or are we talking about a cybertruck pulling a trailer. In which case one should include model Y and model x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pluto
If they move that concrete curb, a couple vehicles pulling trailers would be able to charge.
254bc84d-c057-484b-bd2f-9ac4c76cb098-jpeg.608314

It’s been suggested by Tesla, possibly Elon, that cybertruck needs larger supercharger stalls.

Cybertruck is no larger than a regular 1/2-ton pickup truck, which fits just fine in a parking space.

A Cybertruck specific Supercharger is likely for either (1) compatibility with a trailer, or (2) higher peak charge rates (considering Cybertruck's battery will likely be north of 180kWh).

Among other indicators, here's a screenshot of a municipal Zoom on the new Pasadena charger:

View attachment 609076

Just because Tesla may perhaps be installing Superchargers that are more convenient for Cybertruck, doesn't mean that Cybertruck can't use existing Superchargers. There's zero chance Tesla would build a consumer vehicle that can't use it's existing network.

Just because Tesla may perhaps be installing Superchargers that are more convenient for Cybertruck, doesn't mean that Cybertruck can't use existing Superchargers. There's zero chance Tesla would build a consumer vehicle that can't use it's existing network.

Sorry my original wording drew you into a too-literal interpretation. Can't edit out "need" from my original post.

As has been clear for anyone following cybertruck stall discussion, CT stalls will be longer and potentially wider, for convenience.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
It seems to me that if the Cybertruck cannot fit in a standard Supercharger space (read: normal parking space), it should be redesigned. Parking difficulties aside, having a Cybertruck able to crowd out other charging spaces would be very annoying.

I think the biggest issue would not be width, but the charge port location - whether the truck can get back far enough to allow the cable to reach. This thread (and specifically this post) in the Cybertruck forum discusses this. The distance between the rear wheel and the charge port is the key thing to compare. This only applies to non-towing Cybertrucks in standard stalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
If you've noticed.... most of the ICED trucks fit just fine at a SpC. Elon says he is redesigning to fit in garage.

I think the notes that there are specific Cybertruck spaces may mean - meant for trailer pull thru. Otherwise, I agree that Cybertruck alone will fit standard charge slot.
(That last sentence was meant to be quoted when I am proven wrong.)

That looks like the Supercharger in Manteca, CA, but that also has a row with the regular, back into the charger space, for the traditionalists (like me).

CyberTrucks seem like they will be a little wider with everything being higher and bigger. Technically only an inch or two wider than an X but longer so there may be spaces that are longer for the bed not to stick out into traffic:

IMG_2527.JPG

That looks like the Supercharger in Manteca, CA, but that also has a row with the regular, back into the charger space, for the traditionalists (like me).

CyberTrucks seem like they will be a little wider with everything being higher and bigger. Technically only an inch or two wider than an X but longer so there may be spaces that are longer for the bed not to stick out into traffic:

View attachment 609392
Probably not Manteca: looks like urban supercharger in the picture.

Probably not Manteca: looks like urban supercharger in the picture.
This would be a more accurate representation (though I got this picture from Petaluma):
upload_2020-11-17_22-6-0.jpeg

The problem happens when people don’t know how to use them:
upload_2020-11-17_22-9-22.jpeg

One time I saw someone leave one stall (presumably because he wasn’t getting the max charge rate by sharing the supercharger) and park in the middle of the parking aisle to block through traffic, backwards to plug into another stall. Since it was in Manteca it wasn’t a big deal since most of the parking lot was empty, but I was pretty bewildered.