Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging for Model E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all I was just thinking about how the supercharging will work going forward and I've never heard them talk about whether it will be enabled for Model E or not? Seems like it would have to turn into a massive system when there are hundreds of thousands or millions of Teslas on the road rather than just 50 or 100 thousand.

Model E has not been announced. So nothing has been promised about it. Tesla has given every indication that the Supercharger network will keep growing. Since Superchargers are one big distinctive benefit of owning a Tesla compared with all other electric cars, it stands to reason that Model E will be able to access the Supercharger network.

Yeah it seems to make sense for Model E. When they first started talking about the SC I was thinking it was brilliant marketing for the S and X, but looking further forward it seems like it would be a good plan to just keep expanding for Model E. Maybe superchargers will be everywhere in five or ten years.

This is one of Elon's strategies to push the EV revolution so I have no doubt the superchargers will be enabled for Model E as well. We can say the supercharging is free but I expect the Model E will be like the S60 which they will charge $2K upfront in the base price so we can brag about the free charging for life.

This is one of Elon's strategies to push the EV revolution so I have no doubt the superchargers will be enabled for Model E as well. We can say the supercharging is free but I expect the Model E will be like the S60 which they will charge $2K upfront in the base price so we can brag about the free charging for life.

Chances are that every Model E will be supercharger capable, but you will probably have to buy it as an option. Tesla has to pay for supercharger stations, this is how they get the $$$ for it. If you don't buy it at the time of purchase, you can always upgrade later.

The quick charging port is now included as standard equipment in the iMIEV and I think it won't be long other automakers will follow. With enough volume, it doesn't cost much money to have it as standard equipment. However, what you would mostly be paying for is supercharging.

Given the multiple public statements it is obvious that the Model E will have free access to the supercharging network probably with a purchasing option. And it makes ZERO sense for the Model E to lack supercharging, Tesla won't throw money away on the supercharging network and then fail to use it.

And it makes ZERO sense for the Model E to lack supercharging, Tesla won't throw money away on the supercharging network and then fail to use it.
I have trouble with this characterization. Regardless what happens with Gen 3, the money spent on behalf of Model S and Model X customers that paid for supercharging infrastructure isn't "thrown away" if no Gen 3 vehicles use it.

If they are going to have Supercharging for Model E (which I'd be astonished if they don't), Tesla is going to have to have a lot more Supercharger locations and stalls.

I'm still wondering about battery swapping though. If they can make that work reasonably, it will have a lot higher throughput than a Supercharger and might be more attractive for Tesla since they will get paid for it. OTOH, I believe the stations would have to be manned unlike the Superchargers. With enough cars on the road though, it might still be economically advantageous, at least in densely populated areas.

I have trouble with this characterization. Regardless what happens with Gen 3, the money spent on behalf of Model S and Model X customers that paid for supercharging infrastructure isn't "thrown away" if no Gen 3 vehicles use it.

Yes it is. You don't invest in a major piece of infrastructure that you own and then fail to utilize it. Model E customers will pay too and that money will go to keep the system up to date and maintained. If the Model E doesn't use the supercharger network then the network will inevitably decay while Model S owners whine about the lack of support. From the point of view of the future of Tesla, building a network and then not using it is a waste of money.

Yes it is. You don't invest in a major piece of infrastructure that you own and then fail to utilize it. Model E customers will pay too and that money will go to keep the system up to date and maintained. If the Model E doesn't use the supercharger network then the network will inevitably decay while Model S owners whine about the lack of support. From the point of view of the future of Tesla, building a network and then not using it is a waste of money.
I think what he means is that even if the Model E never has supercharging, the network will still be used by Model S/X owners. It's not like Tesla will stop selling the Model S/X so the network won't decay.

Personally I don't care as much if Model E doesn't have supercharging, but I do care if it has quick charging. If it doesn't, then that's a major deal breaker.