Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging, Franchise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Y'all!

First post here. Glad to be a part of the community.

Seeing some discussion about supercharging, potential congestion as Model 3 hits the road en masse, pricing model potentials, etc. Seeing that Tesla is doubling their network by Model 3 release is indeed promising. Had a thought I think would be good for local businesses, owners and Tesla alike:

Why not Tesla team up with common businesses (Grocery stores, shopping malls, etc.) and let them pay for some of the infrastructure costs to install Superchargers in their parking lots? I'll tell ya, if "grocery store A" had superchargers in their lot and "grocery store B" did not it's a no-brainer where people with Teslas will shop. With "auto-summon" evolving cars could potentially rotate themselves in and out of charging spots once charged (without your interaction) while you shop.

The paradigm of "going to the gas station" clearly dies with the rise of the EV. Everyone is driving their cars SOMEWHERE why not have that place be able to charge quickly? There will need to be a somewhat exponentially increasing number of charging locations. I think it would be a great opportunity for businesses to offer the service, and could potentially pay for itself in new traffic to these stores. If businesses pay for it rather than Tesla it takes some of the load off of them. If Tesla gets into the game early and licenses these centers and keeps them at a standard it bypasses the potential for someone to (god forbid) try and make their OWN superchargers.

Anyhow, thoughts?

They do have this program in the form of Destination Chargers. They are intended for Hotels, Restaurants, Resorts etc. They plan to expand these 4x before the end of next year to reach 14,000. They are slower but do not come with the $250k price tag. You really do not need a supercharge at a hotel or if you are going to eat for for an hour.

They do have this program in the form of Destination Chargers. They are intended for Hotels, Restaurants, Resorts etc. They plan to expand these 4x before the end of next year to reach 14,000. They are slower but do not come with the $250k price tag. You really do not need a supercharge at a hotel or if you are going to eat for for an hour.
overnight a L2 is adequate for an hour meal break the L2 will only net you around 18-20 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Destination charging using HPWC usually charges at 58 miles an hour, though you need dual chargers for that rate...

EDIT: Clippercreek has a CS-100 that allows high rate of charging for J1772, so that an EV agnostic option.
you're correct a tesla equipped with dual chargers will charge at the rate you quoted at 80 amps but my single charger car cannot utilize the higher charging rates and has never gotten more than a rate of 18 miles per hour on a J1772, which doesn't even approach 40 amps.
maybe clipper creek offers a unit like you mentioned but I've never encountered one in the wild.

you're correct a tesla equipped with dual chargers will charge at the rate you quoted at 80 amps but my single charger car cannot utilize the higher charging rates and has never gotten more than a rate of 18 miles per hour on a J1772, which doesn't even approach 40 amps.
maybe clipper creek offers a unit like you mentioned but I've never encountered one in the wild.
Yeah that CC unit is like 2 grand, so I would suspect few would opt for it. Most J1772 EVSE are 7.2kW units, which is sad. DCFC would be a good option but it is pretty expensive to put in, and you would want to use something that has the chances of being used by a bunch of people (which means you need something like SAE CCS Combo/ ChaDeMo) to recoup costs (if not free). Plus current DCFC is only like 50kW which is still kinda slow (well compared to SC).

Holy crap, look at the rates Blink charges for EVSE usage...
Blink - Driving Electric
there's a very simple solution, avoid the blink units if possible.
in many places there are alternatives to high priced charging.
here in my part of FLA sema installed some high cost chargers that people shunned and have since been replaced by blink units that while lower priced than sema are still .49 per kwh. fortunately at this location there is a nearby tesla shop with 6 hpwc units which are usually acessable

Last edited:
Not too bad as long as you live in "All Other States." What's up with that?!

there's a very simple solution, avoid the blink units if possible.
in many places there are alternatives to high priced charging.
here in my part of FLA sema installed some high cost chargers that people shunned and have since been replaced by blink units that while lower priced than sema are still .49 per kwh. fortunately at this location there is a nearby tesla shop with 6 hpwc units which are usually acessable

Yeah I didn't think the L2 rates were too bad, though the DCFC rates are crazy, 7/10 a session to fast charge? at that rate, who would want to actually fast charge.

Hi Y'all!

First post here. Glad to be a part of the community.

Seeing some discussion about supercharging, potential congestion as Model 3 hits the road en masse, pricing model potentials, etc. Seeing that Tesla is doubling their network by Model 3 release is indeed promising. Had a thought I think would be good for local businesses, owners and Tesla alike:

Why not Tesla team up with common businesses (Grocery stores, shopping malls, etc.) and let them pay for some of the infrastructure costs to install Superchargers in their parking lots? I'll tell ya, if "grocery store A" had superchargers in their lot and "grocery store B" did not it's a no-brainer where people with Teslas will shop. With "auto-summon" evolving cars could potentially rotate themselves in and out of charging spots once charged (without your interaction) while you shop.

The paradigm of "going to the gas station" clearly dies with the rise of the EV. Everyone is driving their cars SOMEWHERE why not have that place be able to charge quickly? There will need to be a somewhat exponentially increasing number of charging locations. I think it would be a great opportunity for businesses to offer the service, and could potentially pay for itself in new traffic to these stores. If businesses pay for it rather than Tesla it takes some of the load off of them. If Tesla gets into the game early and licenses these centers and keeps them at a standard it bypasses the potential for someone to (god forbid) try and make their OWN superchargers.

Anyhow, thoughts?
Yep - this is the destination charging program. Locations can apply to Tesla to get an HPWC (or two) installed for free.

Charging locations do not need to increase exponentially, they need to increase linearly. In fact, over time, we might expect that _fewer_ would be needed, as range, efficiency and charging speeds increase.

Tesla already does some cost-sharing with businesses, since they negotiate rent for the parking spots they take up. They might also negotiate for electricity cost sharing.

For businesses with longer stays, such as hotels and restaurants, Tesla has a destination charger program where they will donate 2 HPWCs and contribute to the installation cost.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Level 2 or 25kW DC is plenty for charging at a retail or restaurant business. However with the Bolt coming out later this year this brings up another thought. If Tesla sold a Tesla to CCS adapter with the built in authentication to access a Supercharger, this would provide an additional revenue stream to further the build-out. I imagine the pricing model would be the HW cost plus the same usage fee as the Model 3, assuming it's technically possible.

Level 2 or 25kW DC is plenty for charging at a retail or restaurant business. However with the Bolt coming out later this year this brings up another thought. If Tesla sold a Tesla to CCS adapter with the built in authentication to access a Supercharger, this would provide an additional revenue stream to further the build-out. I imagine the pricing model would be the HW cost plus the same usage fee as the Model 3, assuming it's technically possible.

- A minimum charging rate is important
- An adapter could be shared. They need to be able to tie it to the car.

- A minimum charging rate is important
- An adapter could be shared. They need to be able to tie it to the car.

Exactly I think Elon said that they would open the Supercharger network to other car makers if:
  • They made it free to the car users. (Could be a one-time option.)
  • The cars could accept the full Supercharger capability.
  • They paid their fair share of the network build, maintenance, and operating costs.
So don't expect an adapter to just show up.