Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Idling Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would vote for a higher fee. The average Tesla owner in HKG certainly values his/her time at more than HKD180 per hour. Hopefully that with limits to free charging being rolled out, Tesla will concurrently roll out some improvements to the collection and payment process.

I spoke with the service executive at the service centre. He said they have not implemented the idling fee in Hong Kong. He isn't sure when they will. If they have, the app will push out a notification should you stay over the 5 mins.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I don't have a problem with the surcharge - I think its a good idea. Those saying that its not enough, should remember that 1 hour is HK$186 - not exactly pocket change. That would be more than double the price it would cost to charge the car using spot electricity prices in HK.

The biggest issue I have with it though is that I only found out about it after I was already being charged. I have not looked at this forum for a while and don't recall receiving a notification by Tesla via the app, text or e-mail. I had no idea what the charge was.

Hi all,

I'm new here.

Just got a message this morning in Festival Walk.

"Charging complete. Idle fees are now accruing. Please move your vehicle so others can charge."

I never heard of this idle fee before today.

When charging complete, I was lining up to pay in the supermarket. Think I was a few minutes late, so have to pay at my next service appointment:(

festie is almost always busy, so they'd enforce the idling charge policy more frequently*. sounds a bit harsh to accrue fees, but it's been deemed a necessary evil due to the massive frustration from people hogging charger spots after charging is done.

*they do not accrue idling fees at nono-busy chargers e.g. when two other stalls are available.

Hi all,

I'm new here.

Just got a message this morning in Festival Walk.

"Charging complete. Idle fees are now accruing. Please move your vehicle so others can charge."

I never heard of this idle fee before today.

When charging complete, I was lining up to pay in the supermarket. Think I was a few minutes late, so have to pay at my next service appointment:(
I got the same message, but it appeared IMMEDIATELY as the car stopped charging.... I thought it only started charging fee's AFTER 5 mins so you can get back to your car as per the original posters comment?

I got the same message, but it appeared IMMEDIATELY as the car stopped charging.... I thought it only started charging fee's AFTER 5 mins so you can get back to your car as per the original posters comment?

See the announcement message:

Supercharger Idle Fee

The Tesla app allows owners to remotely monitor their vehicle, alerting them when their charge is nearly complete and again once fully charged. For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur a $0.40 idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived.

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky