Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in Canada Too Expensive?

Is Supercharging Too Expensive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So before the price hike on March 2, 2022, I was paying ~$13 to charge my Model 3 to 90%. Now the same charging session costs ~$27. What gives? Since it's cold right now, I can only get about 250 KM of real-world range. That means I'm paying $10.8 per 100 KM. There are also parasitic losses due to my car being parked on the street for the time being (my neighbourhood is under construction).

With my old Prius and today's gas prices, it's only $40/tank for 450 KM of real-world range. That means it's only $8.89 per 100 KM and cheaper than a Tesla. Yes, I know I can charge at home for much cheaper but how is Supercharging so expensive now? This seems a bit ridiculous. I understand Tesla needs to price Supercharging at a fair price, but the recent price hike translates to a 100% increase. Seems unfair given that the Canadian market has very stable electricity prices and has not gone up accordingly.

I think most of us knew that building out a fast charging network by themselves was the strategic thing for Tesla to do, despite having burned through a lot of cash (on the brink of bankruptcy if you recall), as they needed to alleviate this whole issue of range anxiety. Funny enough, at least in my experience, non-EV folks start to think a bit more different when you remind them that Supercharging is really meant for long trips and/or for those who don't have easy access to charging infrastructure. The question I ask is "how many gas pumps do you think are installed in people's homes"?

I think it's more than fair for Tesla to try to recuperate the costs that they bled for several years just to provide a backbone for their car sales. Whether their recent price increases were a smart idea - the market will help with that. I would also love to see them open more stations and open up to other manufacturers' vehicles, allowing them to charge more for non-Tesla vehicles and looking out for Tesla customers by providing a slight discount.

I do frequent places and businesses that have shown some sort of EV support via charging stations etc. whether it's purely marketing or a genuine gesture. That includes hotels that have Tesla destination/L2 chargers on road trips (well, before COVID anyway) that allows for a full battery's worth of range the next day. Essentially, I tend to supercharge only when absolutely necessary and these price changes don't change that for me in my situation. Despite also having a car that has free supercharging, I still don't tend to use it unless it's convenient or necessary (the videos of lineups and confrontations at Cali SCs make me cringe). Understand everyone's situation is different but just my 2c.

Reactions: cdswm3
All that’s needed is a high profile media story from a respected outlet about how Tesla is more expensive than gasoline and they’ll do an oooops. There’s been no serious big oil slanted coverage making them look bad. Get than and they’ll adjust. It doesn’t matter that most charge at home as non owners don’t think of it that way. The headline alone will be terrible for business.

Charged 44 KW hours the other day. Paid exactly $20.00. With my average math skills works out to 44 cents a KWhr. To put that into perspective, my MAXIMUM charge at home is 15.5 cents a KWhr. HOWEVER, my brother works for BC Hydro and knows exactly what the wholesale electricity rate is, and it would be around 3.5 cents/KWHr for Tesla, probably less. So, they are making a *sugar* ton of margin on this. I understand infrastructure costs etc, but they are still making a ton of money. AND, it is so nebulous. Have to fumble all over in the car to find the amounts - why not have a CLEAR page that has amount delivered (KWhrs) cost, and time spent charging. They have all of this mumbo jumbo time spent at this rate, time spent at that rate, etc etc. It's not like we can spec we want it delivered at a lower rate anyways. I'm putting 2 more chargers in places that I regularly go, and will pay them off quickly, then after that, well, try to REALLY minimize the supercharger usage........

i don't think the price is too high, however, i think they brought the price up too fast.

things i consider:

The equivalent in gas
the equivalent in other charging networks
the availability of the tesla chargers compared to the usually broken, slower non tesla charging stations.

With the amount of Teslas on the road. the only way to sustain it is to build more charging stations. to build more charging stations costs money.

I also have only super charged 2 times in the last 25,000km

I just had my first two experiences supercharging.

1) Here in Montreal at the Cote Vertu supercharger. 150 KW max
Arrived with preconditioning at 30% charged to 83% 18 mins total
Near the start it hit close to 1135 km's per hour on the charge
3 min @ $0.33 / min
9 min @ $0.61 / min
6 min @ $1.00 / min

2) Casselman On, 15 KW Max
Arrived at 10 after 45 mins preconditioning left at 71% 20 mins total
Didn't get over 800 k's per hour. Not as fast as my first try.
9 min @ $0.61 /min
11 min @ $1.00 / min

Don't understand why it was slower when I arrived at a lower state of charge and a longer preconditioning.
Both locations I was not near another car charging.

All together still cheaper that 2.16 /lt!

my brother works for BC Hydro and knows exactly what the wholesale electricity rate is, and it would be around 3.5 cents/KWHr for Tesla, probably less. So, they are making a *sugar* ton of margin on this.
Hard disagree. Wholesale rates look cheap (in fact they are often negative), until you add back distribution, demand charges, and global adjustment charges (in Ontario anyway).

the wholesale electricity rate is, and it would be around 3.5 cents/KWHr for Tesla, probably less. So, they are making a *sugar* ton of margin on this
But those infrastructure costs are what matters -- the availability, the notice of down stations, the speed. Superchargers aren't valuable because they give me electricity, it's because they give me fast charging where and when I need it. I can get electricity almost anywhere, and from a lot of other companies a lot cheaper - but they don't give me what Superchargers do.

also a bit beside the point but even if you had free charging and supercharging, chances are a Tesla will cost you more than a gas car.
Anyhow, nobody bought a Tesla to save money.

I drive a lot simply because I enjoy it. In the past two years I've driven more than 60,000 KM. With today's gas prices that would be over $12k in fuel in a medium-sized sedan. Luckily Teslas only take electricity so I've spent less than $2000 so far on energy.

For me the energy costs do matter a lot over the lifetime of ownership.

I drive a lot simply because I enjoy it. In the past two years I've driven more than 60,000 KM. With today's gas prices that would be over $12k in fuel in a medium-sized sedan. Luckily Teslas only take electricity so I've spent less than $2000 so far on energy.

For me the energy costs do matter a lot over the lifetime of ownership.
Well, you happen to drive a lot more than the average. An average driver would put 20k in a year right?
So if you consider the price of a M3 compare to a sedan, let's say a corolla which will be around 25k...it will take around 9 years to compensate for the price of the M3.
Of course the M3 is more fun to drive, but money wise...
And yes, less maintenance but what about your battery after 9 years? Mine is showing 15% degradation after 3 years and I don't drive a lot.
If I have to change it after 8 years, I will lose the maintenance benefit.
So again, I like my car but this purchase was not a rational purchase.