Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in Canda with US credit cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to go to Vancouver BC, Canada in the next few weeks from the US. Can I still use the superchargers there? Also, the credit card added to my tesla account for supercharger payment has a foreign transaction fee, will this also be charged?

Planning to go to Vancouver BC, Canada in the next few weeks from the US. Can I still use the superchargers there? Also, the credit card added to my tesla account for supercharger payment has a foreign transaction fee, will this also be charged?
That is a terrific question. My guess would be “no” as the vendor for the SuperChargers are own by Tesla and should be centrally transacted. I will have the same issue this summer as we travel from Toronto to NY state. I’m not concerned, but I will check with the “mothership”.

Planning to go to Vancouver BC, Canada in the next few weeks from the US. Can I still use the superchargers there?
For this part, yes, it will definitely Just Work (TM), without your having to do anything. People do it all the time.
Also, the credit card added to my tesla account for supercharger payment has a foreign transaction fee, will this also be charged?
But I am not sure about the foreign currency issue; I don't think I've heard that addressed. My inclination is that your card is being charged by the same U.S. Tesla corporation within their central website, so I would not expect there to be extra foreign fees there. I would think they would just do either an internal currency conversion or just strictly go by what amount of energy it measured and charge in your home currency anyway. But those are just guesses, and I would put my idea at only 50% confident.

Yes on the system working and you being able to charge. My guess is opposite from everyone else so far, i.e. that it will be a Canadian transaction. If it was the a US transaction just because Tesla is a US company, that would mean that everyone who lives in the rest of the world (outside the US) and supercharging a Tesla would all be paying foreign transaction fees on their credit cards every time they go to supercharge. That's clearly not happening because it would be something we've heard about. Also, I would think a lot of countries would have a problem with the idea that goods/services being sold and provided in their country were being falsely structured as occurring in a different country. I could see them considering that as a tax dodging scheme, depending on the particulars of what taxes are expected to be added to the charging costs.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes on the system working and you being able to charge. My guess is opposite from everyone else so far, i.e. that it will be a Canadian transaction. If it was the a US transaction just because Tesla is a US company, that would mean that everyone who lives in the rest of the world (outside the US) and supercharging a Tesla would all be paying foreign transaction fees on their credit cards every time they go to supercharge. That's clearly not happening because it would be something we've heard about. Also, I would think a lot of countries would have a problem with the idea that goods/services being sold and provided in their country were being falsely structured as occurring in a different country. I could see them considering that as a tax dodging scheme, depending on the particulars of what taxes are expected to be added to the charging costs.

It'll happen however Tesla wants it to happen.

Somebody on this site who pays for Supercharging must have crossed a border.

That is a terrific question. My guess would be “no” as the vendor for the SuperChargers are own by Tesla and should be centrally transacted. I will have the same issue this summer as we travel from Toronto to NY state. I’m not concerned, but I will check with the “mothership”.
No, you will be charged a foreign transaction fee unless your credit card has no foreign transaction fee. I just got back from Canada a few weeks ago... The superchargers I used were all billed in Canadian Dollars. My credit card has no foreign transaction fee, but I suspect if your card does, you will be charged a fee, becuase the transaction was in Canadian dollars.

Reactions: mociaf9 and ln206