Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you probably shouldn't come out to here to California as some of the Supercharger stations in the Bay Area are $0.42/kWh. But with gas being over $4/gal, it's still generally cheaper to fill an EV than an ICE (unless you're talking about some econobox that gets 50MPG).

edit: Oh, and I don't consider my time to be worth anything as I'm retired.

Of course charging at home is amazing and cheaper, I had that option before but after my relocation I no longer have that option. I have been using supercharger since July and been tracking the cost. With older prices I charges 48 KWH from 17% to 83% costing me $6.60. And now with the new price I charged 43 KWH and it charged me $12.47. That’s almost 50% increase in price. For Texas gas is under $3.00 so with a car giving 30 mpg there’s barely any difference between both. I think it shouldn’t have been this much of a incline in price. For me saving money on gas was very important, I drive 600 miles per week.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
If you have trouble with the month to month usage cost of a Tesla you should think about selling it. Especially since your surroundings have recently changed and you only have access to supercharging.

if your job transferred you to Japan you wouldn't pay the cost of exporting your car to Japan you'd probably just sell it.

If you have trouble with the month to month usage cost of a Tesla you should think about selling it. Especially since your surroundings have recently changed and you only have access to supercharging.

if your job transferred you to Japan you wouldn't pay the cost of exporting your car to Japan you'd probably just sell it.
Well my job didn’t transferred me to Japan. But the increase is literally 50% which is way too much. When there’s no hike in cost for electricity nor gas has gone up in Texas, if that happened then I would understand the increase in cost. And supercharger are made to use, there for a reason. So that doesn’t mean someone with overnight charging is the only one who can buy Tesla.

Well my job didn’t transferred me to Japan. But the increase is literally 50% which is way too much. When there’s no hike in cost for electricity nor gas has gone up in Texas, if that happened then I would understand the increase in cost. And supercharger are made to use, there for a reason. So that doesn’t mean someone with overnight charging is the only one who can buy Tesla.

Natural gas prices are expected to go up this year and 75% of electricity in Texas is produced by natural gas. I can see this is set to hedge against the increase coming. I got this information while shopping around to renew our company's rate plan.

I don't know who you are ultimately complaining to and what you exactly want to change, but you just need to accept the fact that your living/work situation of having to commute 600 miles a week AND only supercharging is not ideal for you after the pricing change for Texas superchargers. Just sell the Tesla and get an efficient hybrid for now, and hopefully when your situation changes to where you can charge at home and/or work the majority of the time you can get a Tesla (or any other EV) again.

I get it. I only use SC when I road trip. I made a decision to do a trip 3000m - and my cost went up 50%. Its still cheaper by far than an ICE or rental car + flying…but the calculation isn’t as good as it used to be.

I can only guess as to why the prices have gone up - including and most likely - they are trying to pay for a rapid expansion of SC and that’s happening as part of the cost. Might be an upgrade cost to upgrade all the V2s to V3s. Or v4s. We just don’t know.

Its still cheaper by far than an ICE

Did you actually look at some numbers? Clearly this depends on the type of ICE you consider, but you'd be surprised that the price difference for supercharging vs buying gas on long trips is not actually that big.

You are saving a little, that's true, but you are also losing a lot of time. Depending on the Tesla model you consider, on a 3000 mile trip you could potentially end up sitting for 10-15 hours more in the Tesla.

Did you actually look at some numbers? Clearly this depends on the type of ICE you consider, but you'd be surprised that the price difference for supercharging vs buying gas on long trips is not actually that big.

You are saving a little, that's true, but you are also losing a lot of time. Depending on the Tesla model you consider, on a 3000 mile trip you could potentially end up sitting for 10-15 hours more in the Tesla.
Hahaha - yes I have run my numbers. I’m on a 3000m trip right now. My charging time for the entirety is under 6 hours and I also drive “with traffic” in terms of speed. I’ve done multiple road trips in the past year in my M3LR.

I don’t lose hardly any time at all. If it was just me and it was all about holding in my bathroom breaks and not stopping for food, then I would agree but in 20 years of doing road trips with family I like a balanced trip. I would still stopped about once every 3 hours for bathroom, drinks, etc… Today in my Tesla when I stop I walk into a store, get my drink, come out and leave. No difference.

My son, on the other hand did a Houston->Colorado trip a few months ago non-stop in his Subaru and it was probably faster by an hour than my Tesla. BTW - I hate eating in my car, so any eating stop always meant stopping and eating somewhere for 30m.

In terms of cost. Granted, right now its not as good…but the same trip in my 3 previous gas cars: a Toyota Highlander, a Suburban, and a BMW 335xi - would’ve cost a lot more. I paid $90 in SC fees to get from Denver to San Diego. Average in my ICE cars would’ve been $170-200. When I first planned this trip it would’ve been $60 in SC fees :(

So those are real numbers from a road trip I’m in the middle of right now.

Reactions: cucubits

This is by far the worse advice I've seen in this forum and a terrible comparison