Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging issue...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS70D
73,500 miles

On our way home from South Lake Tahoe, we stopped by the Livermore outlet supercharger to charge. I left with 90% SOC & arrived with 20% SOC. The drive took approximately 3.5hrs with traffic on Saturday with temps in the 90s. My AC was on the entire time driving. I pulled up to one of the stall, plugged in, & sat inside my car to watch the charge ramp up as usual. Nothing. The screen kept on saying waiting to charge. I checked the color on the charge port & it kept on cycling between the solid blue & blinking blue. Even tried to push & wiggle the cable end in the charge port too.

After a few minutes, I moved to a different stall. Hoping that it was just a bad charging cable. Still nothing. Ok, another bad charging cable? I moved again to a third charging stall. Same result, nada. The screen showed the same message & the charge port had the same color.

I had an oh *sugar* moment.

The nearest service center is the Pleasanton one. It's open until 7pm according to google maps. Good. I stepped out of the car & tried to wiggle the charging cable one last time to see if it'll work. It worked! The charge port light turned green & then blinking green. My car is now charging. Woohoo!

I charged up to over 80%, more than enough to get home. Just in case I might have charging issues & can't charge at home too.

On the way home, I called Tesla to see if they see any fault/error while I attempted to charge back at the Livermore supercharger. The lady on the phone told me there's nothing that she sees on her end. She also said that the Livermore outlet supercharger is a high use charging area & the cable might be bad. Ok, maybe, I don't know.

I stopped by the Milpitas supercharger before heading home to see if what she said might be true. Pulled up, plugged in, and had the same problem as earlier. After several attempts & wiggling the cable, it somehow started charging. Something is definitely not right with my car.

Searched online & read about the HVJB needing to be replaced for my issue. The cost is around $1600 or so. Great.

I arrived home, plugged in the wall charger & everything seems to be fine. Tried a hand full of times & it just works.

The next morning, with around 56% SOC, I drove to the Coleman supercharger to see if supercharging would work. Pulled into one of the stall, plugged in, & after a few seconds it started charging like normal again. I unplugged & plugged in again with the same result. It just works.

Anyone here experience a similar problem with their Tesla supercharging?

Thanks,
Trung

FWIW I had a similar issue for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago. Tried multiple plug/unplug, stalls, etc.

As a final Hail Mary I rebooted the MCU and the car immediately started supercharging.

A few others have reported this recently. I suspect there may be a bug in a recent firmware release causing this.

2015 MS70D
73,500 miles

On our way home from South Lake Tahoe, we stopped by the Livermore outlet supercharger to charge. I left with 90% SOC & arrived with 20% SOC. The drive took approximately 3.5hrs with traffic on Saturday with temps in the 90s. My AC was on the entire time driving. I pulled up to one of the stall, plugged in, & sat inside my car to watch the charge ramp up as usual. Nothing. The screen kept on saying waiting to charge. I checked the color on the charge port & it kept on cycling between the solid blue & blinking blue. Even tried to push & wiggle the cable end in the charge port too.

After a few minutes, I moved to a different stall. Hoping that it was just a bad charging cable. Still nothing. Ok, another bad charging cable? I moved again to a third charging stall. Same result, nada. The screen showed the same message & the charge port had the same color.

I had an oh *sugar* moment.

The nearest service center is the Pleasanton one. It's open until 7pm according to google maps. Good. I stepped out of the car & tried to wiggle the charging cable one last time to see if it'll work. It worked! The charge port light turned green & then blinking green. My car is now charging. Woohoo!

I charged up to over 80%, more than enough to get home. Just in case I might have charging issues & can't charge at home too.

On the way home, I called Tesla to see if they see any fault/error while I attempted to charge back at the Livermore supercharger. The lady on the phone told me there's nothing that she sees on her end. She also said that the Livermore outlet supercharger is a high use charging area & the cable might be bad. Ok, maybe, I don't know.

I stopped by the Milpitas supercharger before heading home to see if what she said might be true. Pulled up, plugged in, and had the same problem as earlier. After several attempts & wiggling the cable, it somehow started charging. Something is definitely not right with my car.

Searched online & read about the HVJB needing to be replaced for my issue. The cost is around $1600 or so. Great.

I arrived home, plugged in the wall charger & everything seems to be fine. Tried a hand full of times & it just works.

The next morning, with around 56% SOC, I drove to the Coleman supercharger to see if supercharging would work. Pulled into one of the stall, plugged in, & after a few seconds it started charging like normal again. I unplugged & plugged in again with the same result. It just works.

Anyone here experience a similar problem with their Tesla supercharging?

Thanks,
Trung
I had the same symptoms a few months back. The problem was that one of the plastic guides had dislodged from the charge port terminal and gone missing (last place it had been charged was at the Service Center). The guide apparently helps with the Supercharger terminal alignment more so than the lower power charging. Supercharging will not work, but others will.

They replaced the charge port.
upload_2019-8-26_20-18-3.jpeg

I had the same symptoms a few months back. The problem was that one of the plastic guides had dislodged from the charge port terminal and gone missing (last place it had been charged was at the Service Center). The guide apparently helps with the Supercharger terminal alignment more so than the lower power charging. Supercharging will not work, but others will.

They replaced the charge port.
View attachment 446816

My plastic guide is still there, worn at the tip, but still there. I attempted to supercharge at another supercharger tonight with the same problem. After a reboot of the MCU, it started to charge. I then unplugged then plugged the charging cable back in & it didn't work again. Now it's not working at all after several reboots of the MCU. But it seems to be charging fine at home on the wall charger.
IMG_7755.JPG

Update: Supercharging works now. Updated FW Monday night from 2019.12.1.1 to 2019.28.2.5. Been supercharging the last 3 days without a problem. I guess 2019.12.1.1 is the problem? But it worked fine for months on that FW before last Saturday. Oh well, I sure hope that supercharging problem doesn't come back again.

Clean your charge port contacts they are filthy.

Also, now you have just jumped the 16.x firmware bridge, so your car may experience a sudden drop in range.

Yes sir! Will clean but what can I clean with?

No sudden drop in range after FW update. Still have 200 miles with 90% SOC. That was my fear that’s why I was hesitant to update FW until my supercharging issue.