Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys - I brought my car to the service center as I realized my super charging was very slow (2016 90D). I started noticing this after the service center replaced the battery heater. I also recently replaced the entire battery (Dec 2021) but I did not supercharge that much so I might not have noticed. I’ve copied the notes the service center added. They are saying there is no issue and works as intended. I don’t think this is “works as intended” as I used to get 90kwh when my battery was below 70%. Even at the 60kwh at 50% that would imply a 1 and a half hour charge… that’s definitely not right. Let me know what you guys think.

Concern: Customer states After my latest service appointment to replace the battery heater, I noticed that my supercharging speeds are significantly lower. I’ve tried multiple supercharging locations and speeds never exceed 47kwh. For example, my battery is at 50% and I am only charging at 44kwh (151 mi/hr) with no other cars at the station.

Unable to duplicate customer's concern at this time. Began charging vehicle with the S.O.C at 53miles. Vehicle began charging at 43kW (147mi/hr.) At about 50% S.O.C the vehicle was charging at 60kW (208mi/hr.) Once the vehicle approached the set charge limit the charging speed was reduced as designed to minimize the stress placed on the cells in the HV Battery. Please refer to the attached screenshots during the charge event. No further action is needed at this time.

Any chance this could be attributed to low temperatures?

On a side note, the power used while charging is measured in kW, not kWh. kWh is the energy you gain while you're charging. For example if you charge one hour at 50 kW, your gaining 50 kWh. Or 100 kWh after two hours of charging at 50 kW.
I preconditioned the battery before charging. Usually takes 20-30mins or so to get to the charger so assuming the battery is already warm.

Thanks for the tip for kW vs kWh. Now I won’t sound like an idiot when I speak to friends ;P

I don’t think this is “works as intended” as I used to get 90kwh when my battery was below 70%.
That sounds pretty much impossible. I don't think they ever did that fast at that state of charge. That's something the 3 and Y can do, but not a 2016 S with a 90 kWh pack.

Even at the 60kwh at 50% that would imply a 1 and a half hour charge… that’s definitely not right.
Yeah, that sounds right.

Hey guys - I brought my car to the service center as I realized my super charging was very slow (2016 90D). I started noticing this after the service center replaced the battery heater. I also recently replaced the entire battery (Dec 2021) but I did not supercharge that much so I might not have noticed. I’ve copied the notes the service center added. They are saying there is no issue and works as intended. I don’t think this is “works as intended” as I used to get 90kwh when my battery was below 70%. Even at the 60kwh at 50% that would imply a 1 and a half hour charge… that’s definitely not right. Let me know what you guys think.

Concern: Customer states After my latest service appointment to replace the battery heater, I noticed that my supercharging speeds are significantly lower. I’ve tried multiple supercharging locations and speeds never exceed 47kwh. For example, my battery is at 50% and I am only charging at 44kwh (151 mi/hr) with no other cars at the station.

Unable to duplicate customer's concern at this time. Began charging vehicle with the S.O.C at 53miles. Vehicle began charging at 43kW (147mi/hr.) At about 50% S.O.C the vehicle was charging at 60kW (208mi/hr.) Once the vehicle approached the set charge limit the charging speed was reduced as designed to minimize the stress placed on the cells in the HV Battery. Please refer to the attached screenshots during the charge event. No further action is needed at this time.
tesla put a DC Fast Charge limit on all battery packs except for the 100kw packs. they want to try to save the batteries until the 8year warranty expires. there is several threads on here discussing this issue.

My 2014 Model S 85 used to get 128kW when new
I am going to call shenanigans. I can know that for certain because when the 2014 S 85 cars were new (in 2014), Tesla did not have any Superchargers in North America that were built to provide anything more than 120 kW. It was a couple of years later that they first deployed 135 kW ones in Europe first, and then another half year or year later started bringing some of those 135 kW ones to the U.S. But the 2014 S85s were not able to handle above 120 kW anyway.

There are limitations, sure, but it's not down from 128 kW. It was never that high.

• Disagree
Reactions: hpjtv
I am going to call shenanigans. I can know that for certain because when the 2014 S 85 cars were new (in 2014), Tesla did not have any Superchargers in North America that were built to provide anything more than 120 kW. It was a couple of years later that they first deployed 135 kW ones in Europe first, and then another half year or year later started bringing some of those 135 kW ones to the U.S. But the 2014 S85s were not able to handle above 120 kW anyway.

There are limitations, sure, but it's not down from 128 kW. It was never that high.
I got the 128kw in the later years at 150kw chargers. It would jump to that for only a few minutes and then drop way down. I usually arrive at superchargers with less than 5% remaining. This was years ago. I took some pictures of it also, will have to find them.

Attachments

• AC46F386-B42A-42D7-B040-607C01A7B099.jpeg
    AC46F386-B42A-42D7-B040-607C01A7B099.jpeg
    834.3 KB · Views: 576
I got the 128kw in the later years at 150kw chargers. It would jump to that for only a few minutes and then drop way down. I usually arrive at superchargers with less than 5% remaining. This was years ago. I took some pictures of it also, will have to find them.

Also, my car was delivered the last week of 2014 so basically a 2015. The 150kW charger I posted above was installed beginning of 2017. So yes, I was able to get 128kW. There is no benefit in me lying. Current out but when I get home, I’ll see if I can find some pictures of the car charging. When I first got the car, I took pictures of every supercharger I went to which was quite a few.

My guess is that the battery was not sufficiently warmed for optimum Supercharging speeds. Even in sunny southern California during the winter time, I'll set a navigation plot for Supercharging that is 38 miles away and the trip computer will trigger a "precondition warming setting." I was surprised that a 38 mile drive down the freeways wouldn't get the battery warm enough on its own, especially since I'm leaving a 60F garage...not even close to the cold-soak New Englanders/Mid-Westerners deal with.

Here’s a picture of it at 128kW back then. I can no longer get past 70kW. And it has nothing to do with preconditioning the battery as I only use the superchargers on road trips where the battery is already warm. Has been doing this a few years now and there’s other posts on here saying Tesla is limiting the charge rate on older vehicles.

Attachments

• 00FB23CC-B224-428F-AF87-5BCF3B4285A2.jpeg
    00FB23CC-B224-428F-AF87-5BCF3B4285A2.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Don’t know if this will help.

View attachment 773761
Thanks, chart proves my 128kw on top of my 150kw supercharger that was installed in 2017 and my picture of the car charging at 128kW. I hate it when people call me a liar or insinuate it. Here’s an article about it Old 85 kWh Tesla Model S Battery Packs Suffer From Reduced Charging Speed also, like I said, the 128kW was just for like 1-2 minutes and then it would drop to 110 and lower. No where in my original comment did I say the max charge I ever got out of the car was in 2014. I just said that was the max charge I ever got out of the car and it’s been decreasing ever since. This is just my experience, I’m sure everyone’s will be different.

I still get 128kW max on my P85D as well, if only for a couple mins. Luckily, though, charging tapers off as normal (charge gate normal that is) vs maxing out at 70kW.
Same here. Our 11/13 built S85 will still charge up to 128kW if the battery is warmed and at a low SOC (<15%), however, sometimes I'll only get 60kW under the same conditions. I'm never sure if the Supercharger stall, the general Supercharger lot, or my car is the issue. 90% of the time, changing stalls fixes the slower charging speed, but there has been times where I just can't crack 60kW. I don't expect an answer from Tesla but I would like to know what's going on.

Same here. Our 11/13 built S85 will still charge up to 128kW if the battery is warmed and at a low SOC (<15%), however, sometimes I'll only get 60kW under the same conditions. I'm never sure if the Supercharger stall, the general Supercharger lot, or my car is the issue. 90% of the time, changing stalls fixes the slower charging speed, but there has been times where I just can't crack 60kW. I don't expect an answer from Tesla but I would like to know what's going on.
I’m thinking it’s the stalls. You’d get consistent capping if it was the car. Try a V3 SuC lot to confirm.

Looks like I’m not the only one that can get 128kW in and older S 85. So how are your shenanigans now? Maybe get your facts straight next time before insinuating someone is a liar. 😡

I’m thinking it’s the stalls. You’d get consistent capping if it was the car. Try a V3 SuC lot to confirm.
I’ve tried 72kW, 120kW, 150kW and 250kW stations. Most of the time I go the stations are pretty empty and I drive at least 30 minutes on top of the car conditioning the battery with a SoC of around 5% before charging. Can’t remember when it started happening cause I usually park and leave but for the past few months, I cannot get more than 70kW. It doesn’t really bother me unless I’m on a long road trip. Taking one in 3 weeks, will update if anything changes.

So finished the one week road trip. I supercharged probably a dozen times at new 250kW stations. Most were empty or had 1-2 other cars. Usually arrived with 5-10% SOC. Temps were around 10 degrees Celsius. It would ramp up to around 100-128kW and then drop within seconds to around 40-70kW and remain there for most of the charge. I would say 50kW average overall. So Tesla is definitely throttling back on older vehicles to protect the battery. Took lots of pictures but don’t see a point in uploading them unless someone requires proof.

So finished the one week road trip. I supercharged probably a dozen times at new 250kW stations. Most were empty or had 1-2 other cars. Usually arrived with 5-10% SOC. Temps were around 10 degrees Celsius. It would ramp up to around 100-128kW and then drop within seconds to around 40-70kW and remain there for most of the charge. I would say 50kW average overall. So Tesla is definitely throttling back on older vehicles to protect the battery. Took lots of pictures but don’t see a point in uploading them unless someone requires proof.
Sorry to hear that. Looks like your car is capped worse than mine for some reason. Mine doesn’t taper off to 70kW until my SoC is well over 50% IIRC.