Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging just above the Tier2 bottom limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
64kW is actually pretty low... maybe you did not precondition your battery before arriving there? I don't think it was your state of charge that was too high because the power would have steadily declined, like in the last part. So, "it's your fault" because your battery wasn't able to pull more than that. :D

Yeah, that could have been it. I got there after about one hour of being stuck in traffic (Toronto Marathon) after leaving my hotel. I did set the supercharger as its destination. How long does it take to precondition? Car was in an underground parking so it was at around room temperature.

SR+ pretty long as there's a single motor to generate 3-3.5kW in heat and normally that engine pushes the car forward so cannot be used for waste heat. In traffic, maybe it was used. Dual motor, less time as it can waste 6.5-7kW in heat generation and the front motor can continuously be used for heat at a stable driving speed. Pushing a battery (SR 600-700lbs, DM 1000+lbs) from 15-20C to over 40C takes a while, it's a big mass.

Reactions: SylvainG
64kW is actually pretty low... maybe you did not precondition your battery before arriving there? I don't think it was your state of charge that was too high because the power would have steadily declined, like in the last part. So, "it's your fault" because your battery wasn't able to pull more than that. :D
I‘d bet my left toe this was at an urban 72kw charger. The curve wouldn’t be perfectly flat like that for a too-cold battery.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If this is because it's a urban Supercharger, it begins to sound a bit shadier that they would set the tier just below the max charging rate. Unfortunately, there's no way to dial the Supercharge rate down (to get just below the limit). At a regular Supercharger, you get a lower charging rate if there's another car on the same charger (there are typically 2 stalls per charger), but I don't know it that applies to the urban locations or not. If it does, you could try purposely choosing a stall where someone else is already on the "other" plug. Of course, if it cut your charge rate in half, you wouldn't have haven't saved anything, and would end up spending more time for your trouble.

Last edited: