Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging kills Model Y A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the ICE to EV comparison is meaningless here but it's not unusual for a car's A/C to shut down. On my 911 the A/C automatically shuts down as stated here:

Air-conditioning compressor:
Can switch off briefly if engine is under an extreme
load to ensure sufficient engine cooling.

Multiple hours of extreme load? Sounds like Tesla will have a recall in their hands pretty soon. Most cars can drive across AZ and SoCal in the summer heat without issue. Maybe during a steep grade up a mountain for 15 minutes or even half an hour, but not three four five etc hours of driving. At least not anything made in the last 20 years...

This happened to us in our 2017 Model S a few months ago. We had just finished supercharging and the AC became very weak. We could hear the air - somewhere - blowing forcefully, but the air out of the vents remained very low speed despite trying various settings. Sounded like the air was blocked or diverted. We pulled over and soft reset then hard reset, to no avail. Arrived at our destination sweaty and very unhappy. The AC started working several hours afterward, after the car had been parked for a while. I was surprised to see a large number of others indicate they had the same experience. And I am disappointed to see this is still happening on newer cars including newer Y’s (and 3’s per other threads). Apparently Tesla has never addressed it. I have an order for a new model Y to be delivered next year but am having second thoughts if we can’t rely on it for summer trips.