Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a shame and btw I'm pretty certain Tesla doesn't have a blacklist. :)

Identifying who wrongly received the mail is by definition very hard as Tesla would need to correlate back to personal data on an individual basis.
I agree that attempting to correlate back to the personal data would be very difficult and likely just create more misunderstanding. But I do think that TM owes us all some form of explanation on how they filtered the list. More importantly, what THEY deem to be abusive use. And I'm not asking for 6 page rules and regulation missive. Just a general explanation on how they did the filtering and generally what they deem to be abusive.

I agree that attempting to correlate back to the personal data would be very difficult and likely just create more misunderstanding. But I do think that TM owes us all some form of explanation on how they filtered the list. More importantly, what THEY deem to be abusive use. And I'm not asking for 6 page rules and regulation missive. Just a general explanation on how they did the filtering and generally what they deem to be abusive.
The problem is that judging by attempts by others to come up with an algorithm, I'm pretty sure the algorithm they used is sufficiently close to a 6 page book of rules and regulations. If you ask for something really general, I think it is quite obvious from text of the letter that people who use local superchargers in place of trivially available home charging are the targets.

There remains no clear policy, nor any clarification provided by Tesla to help provide that... clarity.

It is not certainly not "clear" that anyone *other* than *some* of those who contacted Tesla of their own volition were subsequently contacted by Tesla with an apology.

Please try harder to not spread misinformation either deliberately or unintentionally. There are enough bloggers and analysts combing these threads for (mis)information to parrot or misquote as it is. without adding spin (at best) thereto.

... But I do think that TM owes us all some form of explanation on how they filtered the list. More importantly, what THEY deem to be abusive use. And I'm not asking for 6 page rules and regulation missive. Just a general explanation on how they did the filtering and generally what they deem to be abusive.

I sent an email to Servicehelpna @ teslamotors.com on 8/18 requesting clarification as to why I received the letter (again, I have only used my local supercharger once, but have been on a number of cross country trips in the last year and have visited more than 40 unique superchargers). I have yet to hear back.

I do have an excellent relationship with my local service center and mentioned the email to them. My SA assured me that I did not match the qualifications of the intent of the letter. But still, this letter came from corporate - a clarification from corporate would be nice (I am assuming that local SA had no idea I was a recipient until I told him). I do worry that I have been 'flagged' in some way - I would like my record expunged.

Last edited:
Based upon the posters who received a phone call from Tesla
Finally, Tesla has to know who received these emails. It would have taken a few keystrokes to send out a contrite correction email briefly explaining what happened.

I wonder if those posters have their full VIN in their signatures on the Fora? ;) It's easier to grease just the squeaky wheels.

Sending out a blanket email would undo any effort to dissuade whoever the real "target" were, as well as being a PR disaster :(

As for Tesla not returning calls or emails, it's been my experience from day one when issues get tricky. I believe the term is Ostrich management.

I sent an email to Servicehelpna @ teslamotors.com on 8/18 requesting clarification as to why I received the letter (again, I have only used my local supercharger once, but have been on a number of cross country trips in the last year and have visited more than 40 unique superchargers). I have yet to hear back.

I do have an excellent relationship with my local service center and mentioned the email to them. My SA assured me that I did not match the qualifications of the intent of the letter. But still, this letter came from corporate - a clarification from corporate would be nice (I am assuming that local SA had no idea I was a recipient until I told him). I do worry that I have been 'flagged' in some way - I would like my record expunged.

Blue Fire may be onto something here. We have 23,500 miles on our car in 15 months, of which about 15,000 is from road trips and another 3,000 for business trips to Modesto or to conferences in San Luis and Palm Desert. So, we have only charged about 25% of our mileage at home, and maybe 10% of the electricity on road trips is from other sources. So, in a vacuum, I am charging close to 67% at Superchargers. Maybe the sole discriminant in determining recipients was percentage of Supercharger usage regardless of location.

(As a side note, it is nice to hear that you enjoy a good relationship with your Service Center. Tesla just routes me wherever, so I have not had the chance to cultivate a relationship with a soul.)

View attachment 92032

Let's see if Tesla now bothers to contact review sites like Consumer Report to clarify Supercharger usage or if they continue to ignore this free electricity advertisement...
That is not inconsistent with what Tesla is doing. It does not say free charging with no conditions or "free and unlimited" charging. Free charging simply says you don't have to pay for it.