Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that everyone played nice it wouldn't be a problem.

However malls are IMHO a particular problem, even in the UK. I've seen multiple posts on UK fora of people saying how they save up, go to the mall, go shopping leaving their car until they've finished. When pointed out that this is not "good" etiquette, there are mixed reactions. Some saying "fair enough", some saying "I paid for it", some say "I'll just flatten the battery more and set it to 100%, that will give me more time!". By requiring physical presence you dissuade the abandonment and "nickel and diming".

OK it's not as convenient, as it means you have to be in the car. But it's still free and unlimited to the extent owners are willing to sit in their cars. The downside to "good citizens" is if the time to get a coffee and return to your car is > 10 minutes, you must re-initiate the session on return. The inconvenience would be the difference between 10 minutes and your actual "coffee fetch" trip time, so lets say 10 minutes max. Would that be better than the inconvenience of arriving and all the stalls being blocked with the owners all AWOL?

In fact Tesla could be selective on this. With some Superchargers where congestion/abandonment is a problem requiring presence, others where it isn't don't.

An added bonus to this would be each of these non presence session time outs can be counted, and easily flagged to Tesla to address persistent "abandoners".

What possible reason would a property owner have to allow a Supercharger to be installed on their property if Tesla mandated that owners stay in their cars? Do you really think they are allowing them to be installed at their malls and restaurants out of the good of their hearts?

Do you know who wrote the email and if it was reviewed by the PR department? Tesla handles PR very differently than most corporations it seems where nothing goes out without PR approval.

Some of this shouldn't need review by PR. Whoever sent the letter to the wrong people needs a serious dressing-down. It's that sort of communications failure which can trash a company, but absolutely everyone should know that you double-check who you're sending a mass mailing to...

I found this reminder on the "My Tesla" page for my 85D. As mentioned earlier, I had also received the email on local SC use in error.

Anyone have this? I don't recall seeing it on that page before. It is above my referral link, just below the picture of the car.

Seems a bit much for someone who ran an extra panel to support an 80A HPWC before the car was delivered. Yes, I know mistakes happen, and this is not offensive-but I'd like to get off the "naughty" list.

I have it too. I didn't get the letter. I charge at home (110V for now, though).

Thanks for the confirmation; I must be getting paranoid.

I was admiring my.teslamotors.com/mytesla page yesterday too. Ok, so the email wasn't a mistake, or a fluke, or a miscommunication then, it was part of a concerned effort by Tesla to get people to charge "at home".

If you can't reliably charge at home (if at all), if you're "between homes", or homeless you are SOL, no Tesla for you!

I found this reminder on the "My Tesla" page for my 85D. As mentioned earlier, I had also received the email on local SC use in error.

Anyone have this? I don't recall seeing it on that page before. It is above my referral link, just below the picture of the car.

Seems a bit much for someone who ran an extra panel to support an 80A HPWC before the car was delivered. Yes, I know mistakes happen, and this is not offensive-but I'd like to get off the "naughty" list.

I have this panel on My Tesla portal page, and I did not receive the e-mail. I have used the San Diego Supercharger 3 times since it opened a couple of months ago, but I have the HPWC in the garage, and predominantly charge at home. The "Charging Installation" panel is probably on everyone's portal page whether they received the e-mail or not.

If you can't reliably charge at home (if at all), if you're "between homes", or homeless you are SOL, no Tesla for you!

Apocalyptic visions of homeless people in Teslas, drifting aimlessly from Supercharger to Supercharger, nothing but Starbucks to sustain them in their endless quest for a few free electrons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 319
Apocalyptic visions of homeless people in Teslas, drifting aimlessly from Supercharger to Supercharger, nothing but Starbucks to sustain them in their endless quest for a few free electrons.

Nice! Where did you get this picture of me, it makes my dentist really proud ;)

In all seriousness Tesla was "supposed to" eliminate the limitations and anxieties of driving electric. Sure keeping the superchargers open is part of it, but are they unaware of or ignoring the effect this has had?

In all seriousness Tesla was "supposed to" eliminate the limitations and anxieties of driving electric. Sure keeping the superchargers open is part of it, but are they unaware of or ignoring the effect this has had?

I know that Tesla monitors this forum. I've received an unsolicited call from a local service technician, prompted by someone at the mothership, to follow up on an issue I posted elsewhere on this forum. When I asked the local chap, he admitted he was prompted by HQ to contact me about the issue I had posted.

BTW, before you ask, they were able ID me because I post my VIN in my signature..

In truth, they have been pretty gentle about it. A quick note from someone at Tesla acknowledging that some people were sent the note in error and that they have cleaned up their database would go a long way, however.

What possible reason would a property owner have to allow a Supercharger to be installed on their property if Tesla mandated that owners stay in their cars? Do you really think they are allowing them to be installed at their malls and restaurants out of the good of their hearts?

Good point! Though if the purpose of Supercharging is to allow long distance travel, then malls and restaurants probably aren't ideal candidates. HPWC's or equivalent make far more sense for multi-hour dwell times, and of course Tesla are looking at those too.

I know Tesla UK (now they have agreed terms with the Ecotricity) have all but stopped putting in installs in any other location than motorway services. Who knows what sweetener went into that deal, because one thing is for sure you would want to spend as little time in one of those places as possible, and certainly wouldn't take your family for a meal there :)

BTW I'm pleased they've sorted this, it is fantastic news for the UK, as previously they were really scrabbling round for sites. At one point there was talk of putting them in at a large number of one of the supermarket chains, and frankly it would just mean people had zero disincentive to not use the local superchargers whilst they did their weekly grocery shop.

I'm baffled at the response, because I think too many people are reading things into this.

Tesla didn't move your cheese. Tesla told you that they're aware of where your cheese is. Nothing more, nothing less.

In some cases, you have no cheese but they're telling you that they're aware of where your cheese is. In that case, a simple e-mail to the servicehelp e-mail address in your region will likely grab their attention to make things more accurate in the future.

Whether you are one of the people described or not, if you choose to take that as an indication that Tesla has moved your cheese, or is about to move your cheese, then remember that it's you who are reading that into the message. Tesla has said that it is concerned that locals are not using it as they intended, but they have not announced they're changing policies either.

When Tesla does move your cheese, or explicitly announces its intention to move your cheese, then I think you have a right to be very concerned and I'll stand right with you.

I suspect at the end of the day, I expect that those holding the most extreme opinions here (e.g., the ones who have heard Tesla's intentions for the supercharger network but choose to say "but but but FREE FOREVER!!!111!!!ELEVENTYONE!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!!") who will simply ignore the hint anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point! Though if the purpose of Supercharging is to allow long distance travel, then malls and restaurants probably aren't ideal candidates. HPWC's or equivalent make far more sense for multi-hour dwell times, and of course Tesla are looking at those too.

This is why I believe that the first commercial quick-charge "filling stations" that displace Tesla's free network will either be a forward-looking energy company (competitive advantage is owning the grid in the first place, but a key disadvantage is the regulatory constraint they're under) or a network of fast(ish) food restaurants. I've told many around me that at some point, Tesla declares it has enough coverage (but still handles scale) while the commercial networks grow around. Sure, there are dependencies - we need to see the connector standardization take place. As I look out, I see Tesla continues to operate its network as a check-and-balance so that the road-trip model isn't sabotaged by unreasonable gouging by any monopoly providers of charging. Just as the market for gasoline turned over from manufacturers, dealers, grocery stores, and public facilities over to the oil companies, I expect the same to happen eventually.

I do think that Tesla can get road-trip charging down to the 10 minute for 150-200 miles range in the next few years, but the long pole transitions from batteries to the grid at that point. Ultimately, that would require a tripling of the power at each supercharger today - and when you're looking at nearly 2 MW for 10 parking spaces, it's an incredible amount of power that must be delivered.

I know Tesla UK (now they have agreed terms with the Ecotricity) have all but stopped putting in installs in any other location than motorway services.

Difference in geography; 'motorway services' that are common in UK/Europe are much less prevalent in the U.S. Stopping on a long distance trip invariably (although not exclusively) means pulling off the highway and driving a mile or two in one direction or another; often to a place where some enterprising company has built a mall or restaurant.

IOW, from a U.S.-supercharger-user perspective malls and restaurants are ideal places to site.

I'm baffled at the response, because I think too many people are reading things into this.

Tesla didn't move your cheese. Tesla told you that they're aware of where your cheese is. Nothing more, nothing less.

In some cases, you have no cheese but they're telling you that they're aware of where your cheese is. In that case, a simple e-mail to the servicehelp e-mail address in your region will likely grab their attention to make things more accurate in the future.

Whether you are one of the people described or not, if you choose to take that as an indication that Tesla has moved your cheese, or is about to move your cheese, then remember that it's you who are reading that into the message. Tesla has said that it is concerned that locals are not using it as they intended, but they have not announced they're changing policies either.

When Tesla does move your cheese, or explicitly announces its intention to move your cheese, then I think you have a right to be very concerned and I'll stand right with you.

I suspect at the end of the day, I expect that those holding the most extreme opinions here (e.g., the ones who have heard Tesla's intentions for the supercharger network but choose to say "but but but FREE FOREVER!!!111!!!ELEVENTYONE!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!11!!") who will simply ignore the hint anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

This is why I believe that the first commercial quick-charge "filling stations" that displace Tesla's free network will either be a forward-looking energy company (competitive advantage is owning the grid in the first place, but a key disadvantage is the regulatory constraint they're under) or a network of fast(ish) food restaurants. I've told many around me that at some point, Tesla declares it has enough coverage (but still handles scale) while the commercial networks grow around. Sure, there are dependencies - we need to see the connector standardization take place. As I look out, I see Tesla continues to operate its network as a check-and-balance so that the road-trip model isn't sabotaged by unreasonable gouging by any monopoly providers of charging. Just as the market for gasoline turned over from manufacturers, dealers, grocery stores, and public facilities over to the oil companies, I expect the same to happen eventually.

You're wasting your breath.

I think the idea behind putting them near malls is that even in a long distance trip situation, you still have to kill 30 minutes of time. Also in the UK, Tesla had a lawsuit with Ecotricity that blocked them from installing at service stations for a while.

Since the launch of the MS, Tesla had been touting the SpC network without limitations. Tesla has been gathering steam as they have been putting out more and more MS on the road. With their success, they are now facing the same issues that other encounter. With that success, Tesla is now attempting to change course, and they're finding the larger the 'ship', the harder to change speed and direction. SpC usage will always be a problem, both due to location, congestion, and down time. As more Tesla's hit the road, the inherent limitations of charging will become more appatent and rerstrictive. Perhaps Tesla is trying to influence as many as they can with the letter, or maybe they'll be satisfied if even a few owners decrease SpC use. Putting high power into a battery pack has some clear limitations, even though this has been improving (increasing) over time. Even though the time required has decreased, it's unlikely to ever be on par with filling an ICE gas tank. While I never say never, it's pretty unlikely that the Tesla SpC network will ever expand to be as prevalent as gas stations. So, Tesla is trying for a course correction.

Approach 1 was to send out the letters.
Approach 2 is the MyTesla profile
Approach 3 just came in to my email account, an announcement that the SpC in Seaside just opened. Note the distinct message in the announcement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
f7pWN4GiAm6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIwf8BYcdKZIREHMkAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They might not be stating you can not use a SpC whenever you want, but they are now repetitively putting out the same new message.... Superchargers = long distance travel.

Scotty

Since the launch of the MS, Tesla had been touting the SpC network without limitations. Tesla has been gathering steam as they have been putting out more and more MS on the road. With their success, they are now facing the same issues that other encounter. With that success, Tesla is now attempting to change course, and they're finding the larger the 'ship', the harder to change speed and direction. SpC usage will always be a problem, both due to location, congestion, and down time. As more Tesla's hit the road, the inherent limitations of charging will become more appatent and rerstrictive. Perhaps Tesla is trying to influence as many as they can with the letter, or maybe they'll be satisfied if even a few owners decrease SpC use. Putting high power into a battery pack has some clear limitations, even though this has been improving (increasing) over time. Even though the time required has decreased, it's unlikely to ever be on par with filling an ICE gas tank. While I never say never, it's pretty unlikely that the Tesla SpC network will ever expand to be as prevalent as gas stations. So, Tesla is trying for a course correction.

Approach 1 was to send out the letters.
Approach 2 is the MyTesla profile
Approach 3 just came in to my email account, an announcement that the SpC in Seaside just opened. Note the distinct message in the announcement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
f7pWN4GiAm6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIAboHAAgBugcACAG6BwAIwf8BYcdKZIREHMkAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They might not be stating you can not use a SpC whenever you want, but they are now repetitively putting out the same new message.... Superchargers = long distance travel.

Scotty

I tried reading between the lines, but I don't see anything! ;)

(your pic isn't showing up)