Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging.Life database

I also get this on my HP laptop running Edge at 1920x1080. The map is also double the height of my screen. This label probably displays as an innocuous header on a large screen, but covers up a substantial amount of the map on a smaller screen. I can scroll down on the page in order to avoid the label, but that also hides the tabs and labels on the Tableau page.
Right, on a phone the header is at the very top of the map but in a computer browser the header box is quite a ways down into the map. I can get around it by centering the area of the map I want below the box and then scroll down on the page but this puts the tabs, and more importantly the map controls, off screen.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
14" Chromebook

I also get this on my HP laptop running Edge at 1920x1080. The map is also double the height of my screen. This label probably displays as an innocuous header on a large screen, but covers up a substantial amount of the map on a smaller screen. I can scroll down on the page in order to avoid the label, but that also hides the tabs and labels on the Tableau page.
Reload. Is this a better configuration? Tableau's tools for setting display parameters aren't great. There is an automatic option that you'd think would be the best choice. It isn't. I've set it to a defined size and zoom level to try and get most of the USA visible on the initial draw for screen sizes of about 1280x1024.

Reload. Is this a better configuration? Tableau's tools for setting display parameters aren't great. There is an automatic option that you'd think would be the best choice. It isn't. I've set it to a defined size and zoom level to try and get most of the USA visible on the initial draw for screen sizes of about 1280x1024.
Much better, thanks so much.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
New Tableau heatmap visualizations are described on our main thread.

Reactions: tes-s

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
Is there a way to set the default zoom level? Every time I go to the map I find myself Zooming in.
On the database or Tableau? On Supercharging.life, it should zoom to your location. Do you have location enabled on the device you are using? On Tableau, I have to choose a zoom level. I've decided to focus on the USA since most competitors are here and to default to as full of a view of the states as I can. There is no way to detect your location and zoom to that level.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
On the database or Tableau? On Supercharging.life, it should zoom to your location. Do you have location enabled on the device you are using? On Tableau, I have to choose a zoom level. I've decided to focus on the USA since most competitors are here and to default to as full of a view of the states as I can. There is no way to detect your location and zoom to that level.
It has my location every time correct. The blue dot is exactly where I am. But it is usually zoomed out. It's fine when stations are far apart but in the SF area I have to zoom in to find the individual stations.

I'm talking about the .life website

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
This is my default zoom level
. 80CD2413-779A-49A6-9CF0-7704C828954A.jpeg

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
I want it way closer. Roughly a 30 mile radius.
And I like the current default zoom level. At home, the current zoom level only shows me a single unvisited site, which is located within an easy day trip distance from my house. They’re not going to be able to please everyone.

Here in the Midwest, there’s no point in zooming in that much. The closest site may be 60+ miles away. At the current zoom level, you may see 100 stations when in CA or FL. Maybe keep the current default zoom, but zoom in a little if more than X are displayed in the local area. However, any calculations like that may be problematic to do on the fly, so that may not be possible. Maybe a lookup table with different default zoom levels for different locations

Reactions: StephenBrown2

tes-s

Oct 6, 2013
Connecticut
The current zoom level works fine for "usual" situation where you are in your "normal" travel area.. Most (sane) people drive mostly "repeats" - same or similar trips they have done before. Not a huge number of unvisited showing on the map.

But I get where @David99 is coming from. When (if) I make it back to California after 5 years, I think I'll need a zoom level of 5 miles to keep the number of unvisited chargers displayed under 20.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
I think this website gets the most use with people using it to track their progress. The vast majority of Supercharger stations are in dense areas so it is used much more in areas where the default zoom level shows 30+ stations.
Unless I make it to California and the West coast, I would always have to zoom out if we set the default to just 20-30 miles.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC