Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging.Life database

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did something change recently? When I try to pull up my map on my phone it’s blank. Same issue with all the map types.

Haven’t checked on a computer yet.
@lensovet, did you ensure you are logged into the page? If it says "Guest" then it obviously won't display your stuff. Otherwise, it works fine on my phone or computer. Maybe it doesn't auto-show the Map but it's been a while since I used it and can't remember if it did that or you had to choose something.

Interesting. I just went through that flow and didn't get a new tab after checking in. (Admins: Please make sure San Antonio - E Basse is still unvisited and in Permit status)

I often use the home screen shortcut to open it, which does always open a new tab for me.

I am using Firefox on Android.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-104631.png
    Screenshot_20230128-104631.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20230128-104651.png
    Screenshot_20230128-104651.png
    409.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230128-104700.png
    Screenshot_20230128-104700.png
    430 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20230128-104742.png
    Screenshot_20230128-104742.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20230128-104757.png
    Screenshot_20230128-104757.png
    430 KB · Views: 48
There's no way to detect that the app is running in an existing tab "and just switch back to it" -- because none of the app is running at the time that decision is made. How the shortcut is handled is up to the operating system.

That said: there is a way for developers to signal to operating systems that the app should be run "standalone" -- without launching the browser at all. I've tried that, and... the website would need a *lot* of work done to it before that became feasible. Standalone mode (Apple calls it "web clip" or "web app") indicates that your app can handle all of its navigation in-frame, without needing the back button, or the navigation bar, etc. That's mostly true, but as is obvious, the site wasn't originally designed for mobile-first usage. I do want to improve on this, but that will be a long-term thing. So while it's technically possible, I'm going to leave that signal shut off, at least for now.

However, there is a workaround, at least for iPhone users (I don't yet know about Android Chrome or Firefox users): make your home screen shortcut go to the page you most commonly land on, rather than the home page. Then Safari will re-use the existing tab. For example, if you most commonly end your browsing session on your own map, then create the shortcut to your map. See my (extremely poorly made) demonstration video:

So I was watching this video:

and they talk about needing an app to help people to rate their charge. Since this app already works with Supercharge.info perhaps it could be slightly re-written to work with Fastcharger.info and have them up and running quickly. Don't know if anyone wants MORE work or even if anyone on the Out of Spec group is on this social media...
Hmmm. Interesting idea, but unfortunately, it'd be a heavier lift than at first glance, mainly because I think fastercharge.info is adding/modifying fields, and because the rating aspect is something new.

Doesn't plugshare do this?

It does. But... PlugShare is owned by EVgo (thus has the motivation to skew statistics, if not outright suppress ratings detrimental to themselves). Their apparent business model is to re-sell (at a handsome profit) the data that they collect, presumably to companies including EV manufacturers and other EV charging networks. If they made their data widely open, as should be the case (IMO, and seemingly also the opinion of RateYourCharge), their business model would be rendered irrelevant.

@Big Earl can attest that when I originally wrote the software that became SuperCharging.Life, I was considering the idea of allowing ratings, photos, etc. I even bought the domain evcharging.community for it. There are problems that got in the way, though:
  • I have limited time available to work on these projects. While I'd love to spend a lot more time on them, there are only so many hours in the day, and my "day job" has to take priority.
  • Finding a crew to moderate this would be a chore in and of itself. Whenever you allow free-text input, or photos, you must have a robust moderation team. For small sites, that's generally not a big deal. For something with the potential to "go viral", this is huge.
  • Finding a reliable source of data for charging locations, that 1) would agree to allow us to use their data for little or no cost, and 2) that isn't going to implement the same thing we've just done (thus rendering us irrelevant). I consider this to be the biggest show-stopper. At the time, I wasn't aware that FastCharger.info existed. Given that it does, it would make sense to use them as the data source. But then why wouldn't they implement a ratings system themselves, since they already have the network of users providing the charger data?
  • Unknown legal liability in the face of changing data protection laws across the USA (much less the world), in particular since this would necessarily be associating users with locations. The same consideration exists for SCL but the scope is very significantly reduced since there are only a couple hundred SCL competitors.
  • Budget to run such a site. SCL costs relatively little. But if we had thousands of users, and accepted both free-text and photos, costs would skyrocket.

From the curmudgeonly accounting department:

I would suppose that there would be certain times when ratings might be of some use. But I would submit that more times than not they would be an inconvenience. What would be the basis for rating? Would there be several questions about what is to be rated?

--Ease of ingress/egress
--Proximate amenities
--Condition of equipment
--Speed of charging
--Vacancy and/or availability/turnover if full
--[_______________________] insert your preference

Or just one question: Rate this Supercharger 1 (bad, bad) to 5 or 10 (fantastic!) Then allow space for comments. Who will read and analyze the comments for accuracy?

All too often, we want to resume our journey if traveling, or we want to get home or to work if we are locals. To take time to access the ratings page and then answer questions or provide feedback just adds to the delay. I used to check in on PlugShare in the early days, but not in the last 5 years or so. Last, I wonder how often people voluntarily offer up ratings on PlugShare or other sites. Does this behavior mimic the classic 20/80 rule?

We are dealing with our biases and our expectations. Ratings are purely subjective, so a bathroom a quarter mile away is fine by me but not necessarily fine for a family with three small children. Similarly, ease of ingress/egress might not be an issue for some but an issue for others.

Accordingly, my vote is to skip adding resources to rate the Superchargers. If people are that concerned about particular Supercharger locations on a planned trip, they should take a little time in advance and plot out the sites for their needs at their anticipated arrival times. The touchscreen in the cars can handle the availability and/or closures.

-30-​

I was suggesting (assuming you are asking me) that the app be re-wrote a bit to work with Fastchargers.info for the Rate My Charge hashtag that is gaining ground. Currently it's a Twitter thing where you send a video talking about any challenges or successes, but they are trying to gather info and are consequently looking to write an app.

I would think if you are looking to collect info you will avoid things like videos and comments and simply have a check in, probably kinda like Plugshare, but outside corporate auspices. Click here to check in Yes I charged, or No I failed to charge

Not that I am associated with Rate My Charge, but I use it and this app and saw the synergy.