Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging my LFP model 3--some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I took my November-2022 Fremont-built Tesla Model 3 RWD to a Supercharger for the very first time. I tried to set conditions for getting the maximum initial charging rate, wanting to log the charging rate vs. elapsed time. To that end I did enough driving earlier in the week to get the state of charge down to about 33%, and planned a three-stop itinerary meant to arrive at a 250 kW V3 Supercharge at between 10 and 20% State of Charge with a warm battery.

I observed battery cell temperature as reported by ScanMyTesla, and the state of charge, activity in preconditioning, and predicted SOC when finally reaching the Supercharger as shown on the screen of the Tesla. After the fact I looked at the reported usage of battery heating by segment as reported on TeslaFi

First leg:
I started at 34% SOC, cell temp of 73.0, and a forecast SC arrival SOC of 21%. The first leg is modestly downhill, so very little power was burned.
I ended this segment at 35% SCO, cell temp of 75.2. I never noticed a preconditioning for Supercharging annunciation on the screen, and later TeslaFi reported no use of the battery heater in this 19 minute 8-mile segment.

Second leg:
After spending 8 minutes buying coffee I set off to a tiny shop dealing in propane things, to turn in two 20 pound tanks with expired certification. This leg was mostly on urban interstate, and took 18 minutes to travel 16.5 miles. I noticed the preconditioning for SC annuncation as soon as I started the leg, and throughout the leg. TeslaFi affirms that the battery heater was on for 100% of this segment. The travel plus the heating ran my SOC down to 25%, my cell temp up to 105F, and my predicted arrival at SC SOC down to 19%.

Third leg:
I falsified the earlier arrival at SC estimates by changing my route to add appreciable mileage. I hoped to arrive with a low teens SOC and fully preconditioned battery. However, I never noticed the preconditioning prompt on this entire leg. TeslaFi says battery heat was on for 6% of this leg. The battery temperature gently declined, starting at 105 and ending at 102. Actual SOC on arrival was 14%.

Supercharging:

I saw 170 kW when I first got a view of the screen after plugging in the car. At that point cell temp was still 102.
In another minute and a half the charging rate had dropped to 135 kW, cell was up to 109F, SOC 21%. About this time, or perhaps a little later I noticed a text annunciation that The battery was too cold for best charging and heat was being applied. (Later TeslaFi affirmed that battery heat had been used "for a portion of this charge").

After the fast initial drop, the charging rate descended gently, reaching 99 kW when the SOC got to 57%, by which time the cell temp reading was 127 and the indication that heat was being applied was gone.

Questions of interest:
1. For my LFP battery model 3, is there a target cell temp on arrival at the Supercharger? If so is it the same 120 reported on this forum for the traditional cars.?
2. Why did my heating terminate? It was right around the time the current SOC dropped below 20% with the change from green to orange in the screen SOC indicator.
3. What is the real maximum V3 Supercharging rate for my car? Would I get a higher rate than the one observed by contriving to arrive at 20% SOC with the preconditioning having reached goal?
4. What governs when preconditioning turns on? Will it look past an indefinite number of intermediate waypoints?

All of this probably belongs as a post on an existing thread but I did not find one to fit. Maybe this thread can be suffered to lived using a focus on LFP supercharging.

Sorry, no answers from me, but another curious data point: drove my M3LFP from Philly to Northern NJ on Sunday. The Tesla route planning included a SC stop about 90 minutes into the trip. I never saw a preconditioning message, but traffic was heavy and I was watching the road. I believe I arrived with a state of charge of under 20%. After plugging in, I noticed a “Battery Temperature Low” announcement, and the charging rate never went above 140kW. Ambient temperature was around 80 degrees F. Seems like the car had plenty of time to bring the battery temperature up to the optimal temperature, so I find it strange that it said the temperature was too low. Any thoughts on why this happened? I was able to get to the SC by making one legal left turn instead of 3 rights as the route planner indicated, so I probably did arrive a couple of minutes early, but that couldn’t be the entire reason, could it?

I believe I arrived with a state of charge of under 20%. After plugging in, I noticed a “Battery Temperature Low” announcement, and the charging rate never went above 140kW. Ambient temperature was around 80 degrees F. Seems like the car had plenty of time to bring the battery temperature up to the optimal temperature, so I find it strange that it said the temperature was too low.
I did a Supercharging session on my LFP model 3 RWD a week or so ago. I deliberately did a multi-stop route so that starting at a SOC of about 25% I'd arrive at the supercharger in the low teens SOC. I noticed that I got a continuous notification that it was preconditioning the battery between my first and second stops, when the SOC was still above 20%. Scan my Tesla reported that my cell temperature was rising substantially during this segment. On the third and last segment my SOC dropped below 20% and never saw a preconditioning notification -- arriving at SOC of about 14%, with a lower battery temperature than on leaving the second stop (though still over 100F)

I speculated here that perhaps the rules for carrying out preconditioning have a simple 20% SOC lower limit, but no one has confirmed or denied that.

In my case, I got a momentary peak rate of 170 kW charging. I also got the message at the beginning of charging that it was deliberately heating my battery to give better results. Later I learned that for my model 170 kW has been reported as being the maximum limit, regarding of battery readiness.

I suspect your session was not lengthened much by your battery under temperature condition.

Today I took my November-2022 Fremont-built Tesla Model 3 RWD to a Supercharger for the very first time. I tried to set conditions for getting the maximum initial charging rate, wanting to log the charging rate vs. elapsed time. To that end I did enough driving earlier in the week to get the state of charge down to about 33%, and planned a three-stop itinerary meant to arrive at a 250 kW V3 Supercharge at between 10 and 20% State of Charge with a warm battery.

I observed battery cell temperature as reported by ScanMyTesla, and the state of charge, activity in preconditioning, and predicted SOC when finally reaching the Supercharger as shown on the screen of the Tesla. After the fact I looked at the reported usage of battery heating by segment as reported on TeslaFi

First leg:
I started at 34% SOC, cell temp of 73.0, and a forecast SC arrival SOC of 21%. The first leg is modestly downhill, so very little power was burned.
I ended this segment at 35% SCO, cell temp of 75.2. I never noticed a preconditioning for Supercharging annunciation on the screen, and later TeslaFi reported no use of the battery heater in this 19 minute 8-mile segment.

Second leg:
After spending 8 minutes buying coffee I set off to a tiny shop dealing in propane things, to turn in two 20 pound tanks with expired certification. This leg was mostly on urban interstate, and took 18 minutes to travel 16.5 miles. I noticed the preconditioning for SC annuncation as soon as I started the leg, and throughout the leg. TeslaFi affirms that the battery heater was on for 100% of this segment. The travel plus the heating ran my SOC down to 25%, my cell temp up to 105F, and my predicted arrival at SC SOC down to 19%.

Third leg:
I falsified the earlier arrival at SC estimates by changing my route to add appreciable mileage. I hoped to arrive with a low teens SOC and fully preconditioned battery. However, I never noticed the preconditioning prompt on this entire leg. TeslaFi says battery heat was on for 6% of this leg. The battery temperature gently declined, starting at 105 and ending at 102. Actual SOC on arrival was 14%.

Supercharging:

I saw 170 kW when I first got a view of the screen after plugging in the car. At that point cell temp was still 102.
In another minute and a half the charging rate had dropped to 135 kW, cell was up to 109F, SOC 21%. About this time, or perhaps a little later I noticed a text annunciation that The battery was too cold for best charging and heat was being applied. (Later TeslaFi affirmed that battery heat had been used "for a portion of this charge").

After the fast initial drop, the charging rate descended gently, reaching 99 kW when the SOC got to 57%, by which time the cell temp reading was 127 and the indication that heat was being applied was gone.

Questions of interest:
1. For my LFP battery model 3, is there a target cell temp on arrival at the Supercharger? If so is it the same 120 reported on this forum for the traditional cars.?
2. Why did my heating terminate? It was right around the time the current SOC dropped below 20% with the change from green to orange in the screen SOC indicator.
3. What is the real maximum V3 Supercharging rate for my car? Would I get a higher rate than the one observed by contriving to arrive at 20% SOC with the preconditioning having reached goal?
4. What governs when preconditioning turns on? Will it look past an indefinite number of intermediate waypoints?

All of this probably belongs as a post on an existing thread but I did not find one to fit. Maybe this thread can be suffered to lived using a focus on LFP supercharging.
2) I have noticed that preheating will terminate if the predicted range upon arrival falls under 20%.

3) The max I have observed during 3 road trips amounting to ~9000 miles (~15K km) was ~170kw, even when arriving at a V3 Supercharger at 2% SOC.

4) I can't seem to find a set pattern, but it seems most likely to occur when battery is cold and the SOC upon arrival is 20 to ~40%.

Questions of interest:
I get 48C /119F for Panasonic 2170L / 82kWh batt at any SuC V3.

Since about a year or so, Tesla have different preconditioning targets for different Superchargers.
I get about 40-42C for V2 /150kW.

I believe @ucmndd is correct.

While the battery temperature is important, it is not the most important. It wasn't even an option for a few years.

A battery's charging profile is non-linear. You generally can expect much faster charging at low SoC and much slower charging as the battery gets full.

In my 2018 LR RWD, If I'm below 20% and plug into a 250kW charger, I can see 1000+mph being added. Once it hits about 40% charge, it's at 500mph and at 80% 200mph. And at above that, a destination or J-1772 can charge just as fast.

And following @ucmndd statement, charging at a 150kW charger is going to be just as fast as a 250kW location for you.

I believe @ucmndd is correct.

While the battery temperature is important, it is not the most important. It wasn't even an option for a few years.

A preheated battery is the best way to avoid lithium plating when fast charging.
( Tesla reduce the charging power when the battery is not hot so this kina reduce the lithium plating as well. But they probably need to compromise to get descent charing times to avoid ques at SuC so it might be worse to charge non preheated).

Also, for a certain SOC the possible charging speed is higher with a preheated battery as the internal resistance always is lower with a hot battery.

One year ago and before, Tesla preconditioned the battery to the same temperature regardless of Supercharger type but then they changed this with and update so the target temperature is öower for slower SuC.

Also, navigeting to an supercharger station with power issues (like only giving part of the power) can inhibit the preconditioning:
We have one example of this close to me, all stalls only give 53kW and the cars wont preheat navigating there. ( Of course the cell temp is the decidong factor, but ot is summer so just driving will have the battery warm enough for a 53kW SuC.