Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Nightmare Begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen an astounding increase in supercharging station use within the past 3 months. Went from no waiting for a charging station almost any time of the day to waiting for a station every time (sometimes at least for 30mins!).

I don’t have any other means to charge the MX at the moment other than the supercharging station.

Almost every 2nd car I see is a Model 3 waiting to charge. Obviously this has impacted the supercharging stations.

This is in the SF Bay Area.

I have seen an astounding increase in supercharging station use within the past 3 months. Went from no waiting for a charging station almost any time of the day to waiting for a station every time (sometimes at least for 30mins!).

I don’t have any other means to charge the MX at the moment other than the supercharging station.

Almost every 2nd car I see is a Model 3 waiting to charge. Obviously this has impacted the supercharging stations.

Move to the Midwest....no issues here!

This is only going to get worse and worse as more people without means to charge elsewhere continue to buy Tesla's (free Supercharging or not).

Where do you charge?

At the beginning of the year they had three locations there: 2 in San Mateo and 1 in Mountainview.
This year they added 8 more locations: Daly City, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Gatos, San Jose, Milpitas.
They are building 2 more in San Jose right now.

Amazing they have gone from 3 to 11 and there are still lines. Need to build them with more stalls.

Buying an EV that you cannot charge at home, work, or other location where you regularly park is something to think long and hard about.

You do realise you are part of the problem here! Superchargers were never intended to be used for daily charging and now the market is flooding with M3s it will only get worse. Especially if they are using them in the same way as you are for their daily charging routine!

Here in Florida as well, a few weeks back on 4 hour road trip and the very first time I have ever waited and four others behind me also waiting. Not long, but yes waiting LOCAL new owners of Tesla product. Nice kid came up to me and said, "I just need to finish it off here". Finally he saw the issue and after looking at his app decided it was enough.

Buys an EV knowing he has no charging option at home. Comes on EV forum to complain about busy Superchargers.

You have a point, he is in an Urban Setting with limited options. as we all know using a supercharger for daily routine of charging probably gets old real quick. 6 figure car, I know what my time is worth per hour, sometimes the math is good and sometimes it makes no sense I guess. Carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: evp and Racerx22b
So what is it that prevents you from charging at home ?

• Helpful
Reactions: darknavi and IdaX
Are you sure that there aren't in J-1772 locations around home or work?

Of course there is. He lives in SF Bay area. Probably one of the best EV public charging infrastructures in the country. But they aren't free and they charge slow.

To me this is the equivalent of buying Lambo Aventatodor and then complaining about gas mileage or ride quality. I have zero empathy for anyone that complains about Supercharger waits when they are charging for daily use due to no home charging option. They are the cause of the problem!! If he really thought he would have unfettered access to Superchargers for his entire ownership that is his own fault. Is it annoying? Of course. But it was certainly something you should have anticipated with the application of 5mins of research or logic.

I’d say this topic is actually why it’s important for people to back initiatives that make it easier (or even possible) to have apartment buildings, condos, or houses governed by associations retrofitted to meet growing demand. We should also be focused on requiring new structures to be more compatible with this burgeoning technology.

I’ve only become more thanks to another member here who has shared that a few local governments (including my local one recently) are beginning to push for legislation on both these subjects.

I think it’s regressive to blame the owner for his choice. Seems to me folks here want more EVs on the road, not less. These are necessary growing pains. The solution is not to judge owners, it’s to pressure the powers-that be, whether it’s local government or constructively “tweeting Elon” about superchargers.