Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Nightmare Begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen an astounding increase in supercharging station use within the past 3 months. Went from no waiting for a charging station almost any time of the day to waiting for a station every time (sometimes at least for 30mins!).

I don’t have any other means to charge the MX at the moment other than the supercharging station.

Almost every 2nd car I see is a Model 3 waiting to charge. Obviously this has impacted the supercharging stations.

This is in the SF Bay Area.
I also live in the Bay Area. I’ve never had to wait in East Palo Alto and I charge there 2-3 times a week (mostly because it’s so convenient!)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm a bit surprised that people are buying EV's without the ability to charge at home. I know you don't fill up the ICE at home, but I just can't imagine NOT charging our Tesla's at home. I get that the urban SC's are getting crowded, but I'm getting more concerned about SC's that are being used for road tripping being filled with local people daily charging.

We often go from Chicago-burbs up to Northern Wisco where we have a 2nd house. The main SC we stop at is located in Sheboygan, WI and we have not ever had to wait in a line nor share power between the pedestals. I went up there a few weeks ago and there were a few locals parked there doing their grocery shopping, which didn't present a problem, yet. I really think Tesla should help assist road trippers vs. locals using SC's. When I plug in my trip and the software knows that I need to stop to charge, there should be a reserved SC and/or some kind of weighted preference for those who are road tripping, who need to charge to keep on vs. locals grabbing juice.

As more and more M3's rollout (which is awesome) I really hope that road tripping doesn't get impacted by filled up SC's by locals... Not trying to say that I'm more important, but it's the understanding that if you don't need the charge, then keep the slots open. Tesla could easily write this into the software to ping locals and ask them to move their car and/or stop charging remotely, etc.

We know that this is an issue that is going to start happening and I sure hope that we can figure out a solution.

We charge at home every chance we get, but with our driving routine, a full 1/3 of our charging is done at superchargers as that is the only way we can get back home. Luckily the supercharger that we need to stop at frequently seldom has more than one other car using it.

I can’t imagine buying an electric vehicle if I could NOT charge at home routinely. The infrastructure just isn’t there yet if you take out the plugs available in homes.

Also, Superchargers are for long distance travel, not local charging. I see nearly all the posts in this thread so far have echoed that position. This is not only because it’s the polite thing to do, but also because Superchargers will potentially harm the battery long term so Tesla will throttle your charging speed if that’s your only charging method.

I will bet my freaking house that in 2-ish years, we’ll see an avalanche of posts from Model 3 owners (I have terrible battery degradation, Tesla throttled my charging on our family road trip, etc.) because so many are charging at Superchargers way too frequently.

I bet many don’t know what they are doing to the battery. Of course I also understand some may not have anywhere else to charge, but you don’t buy a $60K to $80K electric car without doing your due diligence first.

This whole discussion (which I am completely on board with), tells me something - that the intuition that I have (having spent 30 years in the auto industry) that long distance charging (supercharging, if you will) is going to be the major gating factor to wholesale adoption of EVs, is true. The average driver (i.e., if converting to EV from ICE) is going to be ENRAGED if there are problems with getting a charge (particularly when traveling cross-country). If this crowd of automakers who have announced upcoming EVs don't step up to create a nationwide (and, I guess world-wide) heavy duty infrastructure of high speed charging stations (I'm talking multiple 100 kw chargers at every gas station and truck stop), they can look forward to a MAJOR FAIL on their plans for rolling out an EV fleet. Listen to me, GM, Daimler, VW, etc.

This is only going to get worse and worse as more people without means to charge elsewhere continue to buy Tesla's (free Supercharging or not).
It shouldn't get worse. It's just a matter of ratio and a gradual shift in property market to more landlords and developers providing charging.

Also, if Superchargers are busy, the people who can charge at home are more likely to do so.

I have seen an astounding increase in supercharging station use within the past 3 months. Went from no waiting for a charging station almost any time of the day to waiting for a station every time (sometimes at least for 30mins!).

I don’t have any other means to charge the MX at the moment other than the supercharging station.

Almost every 2nd car I see is a Model 3 waiting to charge. Obviously this has impacted the supercharging stations.

This is in the SF Bay Area.
Last time we stayed just south of the Bay, we would take the X down to supercharge around 3:45am. No waiting - so I can't figure out what you're talking about!
;)

I think it’s regressive to blame the owner for his choice. Seems to me folks here want more EVs on the road, not less. These are necessary growing pains. The solution is not to judge owners, it’s to pressure the powers-that be, whether it’s local government or constructively “tweeting Elon” about superchargers.

Thank you for this comment.

It doesn't matter why the OP can't/won't charge at home. That's not relevant to the OP.

If I ask you why the truck ran over the yellow cat, and your response is "why is the cat yellow" - then you're missing the question. You can freely ask that question, but do so in another thread, don't hijack the OP's question.

Now, beyond the obvious solutions, albeit difficult, of adding more stalls and Superchargers, one of the ideas to make the process of waiting somewhat less stressful has been discussed on this thread on Reddit.

Where do you charge?

At the beginning of the year they had three locations there: 2 in San Mateo and 1 in Mountainview.
This year they added 8 more locations: Daly City, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Gatos, San Jose, Milpitas.
They are building 2 more in San Jose right now.

Amazing they have gone from 3 to 11 and there are still lines. Need to build them with more stalls.

Buying an EV that you cannot charge at home, work, or other location where you regularly park is something to think long and hard about.

San Mateo, but when I was over at MV & SV, both times had to wait although maybe that's how those locations always are? More supercharging stations is good although I suspect all of them will be busy too due to such a high volume of M3's being sold in the Bay Area.

I agree, anyone considering buying an EV, without any option to charge at home or work, in a place where the volume of those EVs is high (as it is in the Bay Area) must think and be comfortable with spending significant amount of time at a supercharging station - waiting to get a station & then waiting to charge.

No option provided by the property owner. For all those who say that this is not what superchargers were meant for, you do realize that Tesla sales team never mentions this even when I clearly told them that I have no option to charge at home or work.

Not.pnly that, but they explicitly told me to use the SC. (I'm in the same position as you).

I have two SC witihn 10 miles of me (Capistrano and San Clemente) and a new one even closer is opening (Mission Viejo). But still, it's long waiting times most of the day .

folks in urban settings often don't have the ability to just install a plug like home owners do. They need solutions from their high density housing owners, from the city, or need to use the Superchargers. I was wondering if charging at an urban supercharger at max 72kw is safer for the battery vs the 120kw rate -- seems like that may be another benefit from this new supercharger.

San Mateo, but when I was over at MV & SV, both times had to wait although maybe that's how those locations always are?
Have you tried San Carlos (19 stalls) or East Palo Alto (20 stalls not paired)? Even if people charge for a full hour, a spot opens up every few minutes at large locations like that.

San Mateo is only 8 stalls and been there for a long time. It was crowded 3 years ago when I was there.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx
No option provided by the property owner. For all those who say that this is not what superchargers were meant for, you do realize that Tesla sales team never mentions this even when I clearly told them that I have no option to charge at home or work.

Would something like this be an option? Quick 220 Systems: Model A220-15D For Equipment with US/Canadian Plugs

I haven't tried it yet but was thinking of picking one up for overnight stays where a charger isn't available.

Okay, it's impossible to install a 220 outlet anywhere. I'm sure you have visited with the governing body of your housing and they flatly refused due to chance of a small child getting killed when touching the charge station. Man, I'm glad I live where I do and figured out work-arounds before I ever bought the car. In fact, Tesla employees made sure I had charging figured out before we ever talked further. Whatever happened to common sense since Sam Clemens?

To any who are planning to buy any electric vehicle, please, PLEASE figure out your charging options before you get all starry-eyed. And "Oh, I can charge for a few minutes every day after work at the supercharger" is not an option.

Here in Florida as well, a few weeks back on 4 hour road trip and the very first time I have ever waited and four others behind me also waiting. Not long, but yes waiting LOCAL new owners of Tesla product. Nice kid came up to me and said, "I just need to finish it off here". Finally he saw the issue and after looking at his app decided it was enough.

Which S.C. IN FL?