Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supercharging this past Sat. From 49% to 79%.
Around 78% I believe, I started hearing a increasingly louder humming/buzzing sound, with vibrations.
I then stopped the charge realizing that it could be the fans trying to keep the battery from overheating.
Can anybody confirm that this is what it was. And is it normal that the cooling system becomes so loud while charging?

completely normal.
unless it is reeeaaly loud, then get it checked out

Did you take a look at the front and see if the louvers were open (vents on lower bumper in front of wheels)
there shold be fans there that run when it is hot and charging + AC will be running the coolant to cool the battery, this is what seems to make the most noise/vibration. you don't hear/feel it as much when driving or at all in a gas car..

You shouldn't really need to check the vents but just a thought. If the louvers don't open but the fans are running it might be noisier? I have heard of a louver not opening but I think it also coincided with a slower SC charging rate. The main component that is noisy is the AC compressor. In the original S' Tesla added a retrofit booty that covered the AC unit to help reduce vibrations. I have no idea if they went to a bigger unit for the X/ S with biodefense set up? I'm sure they put whatever vibration reduction device they could in the newer cars

I think it is the AC. We were at a SuperCharger with us inside the car and AC on. Sound was so loud and once we turned off the AC to check what it was, the whirring sound stopped. I stepped out to check where the sound was from and it was even louder from outside. From what I see here, this looks to be normal? it was around 90F so maybe AC was working hard to keep us cool inside.

Completely normal for fans/AC to go on super high and loud when supercharging to keep the battery cool. But as stated, sometimes something can get blown into the fan, say a piece of plastic or something soft that will still let it run and that makes a lot of noise. Probably ok though...