Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging not so super

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's normal. The car drops to 72kW at around 50-60% SOC which only takes 10-15 minutes unless you are really low.

here's a guy who put a bunch of curves into a paper

http://www.roperld.com/Science/TM3LR_SCChargingCurves.pdf

you can see all the ones that start at 15-30% (aka around 100km of range left) only take about 10-15 minutes to hit 50% SOC+ and drop to 70ish kW.

It's unfortunate that your government doesn't allow charging by the kWh but there really isn't anything Tesla can do about that.
Ignore that, it’s not representative of what you should expect. Here’s a much more representative graph of the taper after ~50%.
BT37.png.d5debe61fecb38bf87d2b36b17084af7.png

Model 3 Consumption and Charging

Ignore that, it’s not representative of what you should expect. Here’s a much more representative graph of the taper after ~50%.
BT37.png.d5debe61fecb38bf87d2b36b17084af7.png

Model 3 Consumption and Charging

That graph is almost certainly more accurate (so much more data) but what it doesn't show is how quickly it goes from 20-60% SOC where the power drop that OP is complaining about starts.

For the LR Model 3, battery is 75kWh. So arriving with 20% SOC (around 100km of range left), we have around 110 kW until 55%. We need 26.25kWh to go from 20% to 55%, so at 110kW that takes around 14 minutes.

So yes @Darthbenji unless you show up with really low SoC, you shouldn't expect to be above 100kW for more than 10-15 minutes. And if you show up with anything >50% SoC you may not get the 72kW pricing at all.

That graph is almost certainly more accurate (so much more data) but what it doesn't show is how quickly it goes from 20-60% SOC where the power drop that OP is complaining about starts.

For the LR Model 3, battery is 75kWh. So arriving with 20% SOC (around 100km of range left), we have around 110 kW until 55%. We need 26.25kWh to go from 20% to 55%, so at 110kW that takes around 14 minutes.

So yes @Darthbenji unless you show up with really low SoC, you shouldn't expect to be above 100kW for more than 10-15 minutes. And if you show up with anything >50% SoC you may not get the 72kW pricing at all.
I’d rather get 60kw for half the price than 72kw at double the price.

Concord Ontario. 48% to 80% has taken almost an hour. My average charge rate is 114km/h which is brutal. I get 75km/h at home. Again if it’s the top end of the charge I get that I’m paying the same amount for 17kw. Not the whole charge though. It never went over 28kw and I’m paying for up to 60kw.
Have you tried a different supercharger location to rule that out as an issue?

I have yes. The consensus is that notwithstanding someone can charge from 20% to 80% with their 3 in 40 mins and mine took an eternity, inflating the cost, it must be down to me having a cold battery. The charge started out higher and dropped, which is the opposite of how cold charging works. In any case, it doesn’t matter how many times one explains they’ve accounted for and ruled out a problem’s known cause they’re still told it must be that.

For me it was a series of events, not yesterday alone that lead to my post. Paying for throttled charging sucks when your battery is no where near full. If they’re going to give me 72kw at 50 cents a minute I should have the option to drop to 60kw and pay 25 cents. If I do it on purpose, and move to a shared stall to get the 60 I know the car will take, since I was just paying full price for 72, the charge is lowered to the 28-32. Throttled charging with no reduction in price is crap.

Last edited:
If they’re going to give me 72kw at 50 cents a minute I should have the option to drop to 60kw and pay 25 cents.

I don't think you should be able to opt to charge slower if the site is normally busy since that could cause delays for other people. (Probably not really a problem in your area.)

If I do it on purpose, and move to a shared stall to get the 60 I know the car will take, since I was just paying full price for 72, the charge is lowered to the 28-32.

28-32kW is where the sharing on stalls are normally if the other person is charging fast. So that is expected.

In the end you just need to get your government to allow Tesla to charge by the kWh. But even then I wish Tesla would start charging by the minute once you pass 85-90% SoC. (So that only people that really needed to charged to that level since it takes so long and is a waste of Supercharger resources.)

Reactions: Darthbenji
I have yes. The consensus is that notwithstanding someone can charge from 20% to 80% with their 3 in 40 mins and mine took an eternity, inflating the cost, it must be down to me having a cold battery. The charge started out higher and dropped, which is the opposite of how cold charging works. In any case, it doesn’t matter how many times one explains they’ve accounted for and ruled out a problem’s known cause they’re still told it must be that.

For me it was a series of events, not yesterday alone that lead to my post. Paying for throttled charging sucks when your battery is no where near full. If they’re going to give me 72kw at 50 cents a minute I should have the option to drop to 60kw and pay 25 cents. If I do it on purpose, and move to a shared stall to get the 60 I know the car will take, since I was just paying full price for 72, the charge is lowered to the 28-32. Throttled charging with no reduction in price is crap.

You need to complain to your legislators, as they’re the ones forcing Tesla to charge by the minute (by only allowing utilities to sell electricity by the kWh). At least Tesla is allowed to offer two pricing tiers... some other charging providers are straight by-the-minute.

Have you talked to Tesla about any of this? You seem to be suggesting that Tesla is purposely throttling your charge rate to milk you for more money. That seems pretty far fetched.

Have you verified with Tesla your battery is charging normally? If you’re certain it has nothing to do with the cold in Ontario then it seems maybe there’s a problem with your car.

Have you talked to Tesla about any of this? You seem to be suggesting that Tesla is purposely throttling your charge rate to milk you for more money. That seems pretty far fetched.

Have you verified with Tesla your battery is charging normally? If you’re certain it has nothing to do with the cold in Ontario then it seems maybe there’s a problem with your car.
Sent them an email. No I don’t think some accidental genius has devised a way to overcharge for charging. Other companies? Sure. They always seem to make ‘errors’ that benefit them. I don’t think Tesla is one. I’m just frustrated that it happens every time I supercharge, regardless of season.

Concord Ontario. 48% to 80% has taken almost an hour. My average charge rate is 114km/h which is brutal. I get 75km/h at home. Again if it’s the top end of the charge I get that I’m paying the same amount for 17kw. Not the whole charge though. It never went over 28kw and I’m paying for up to 60kw.
could it be the cold? Or do you have no dots on your energy bar?

Also I have read if you continually supercharge the car can reduce your charging rate to save your battery.

Last edited:
I think it's probably battery temp but there was a post somewhere here where the customer had a bad battery that caused the same behavior even when it was warm. You an call tesla to see if your car was one of the ones that is flagged to have the battery replaced via the TSB.

That being said I'd lean more toward the battery not being warm.

It takes more than an hour of driving to warm up the battery for full supercharging speeds. When my car starts out at 45-50 degrees F (8-10C) and then drive an hour to a supercharger, the charge rate never gets close to the speeds achievable on a hot battery. This is why we should all charge at the END of our drive, not at the beginning of a drive.

It takes more than an hour of driving to warm up the battery for full supercharging speeds. When my car starts out at 45-50 degrees F (8-10C) and then drive an hour to a supercharger, the charge rate never gets close to the speeds achievable on a hot battery. This is why we should all charge at the END of our drive, not at the beginning of a drive.

A pack at 50 should not be significantly restricted from charging particularly at a low SOC. My 3 is constantly restricted even after an hour of driving. I 'm starting to think the 3 pack is much more restricted than others. MY 85D can charge faster at 40 than my 3 at 50 and even with my S at a much higher SOC. Even if it is 30 my so may be slow for a bit and then ramp up to a much faster speed where the 3 will charge much slower at 50-60 and never ramp and often slow over time to speeds lower than it would at that same SOC with a very warm pack. I can get speeds of 120kW when it is 70 plus out and the car has been driven. I think the 3 pack must be at about 80 to get the full SC speeds at any given SOC.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike