Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging now costs more than gas (one owner's experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My highest ever charge cost was in Lakewood Colorado, and it was only $19.80 for about a 70% charge from 20 up to 90, or 55kwh for the Y,( think this was the numbers not sure)

Id expect 140+ miles from that at the absolute worst. At the prices gas was during the trip, that was $3.29. Had we used the Pathfinder, and got 19mpg (best) we're looking at nearly $25.

On that trip though, the OVERALL savings for 2100 miles in a week was at least $150 utilizing one destination charger for free.

Its not close. Our day to day operations of the car over 14k miles in 6 months is close to a grand saved vs burning dinosaurs.

Charge at home, supercharge on trips or destination chargers when you can.

Destination chargers seem to be underrated. More and more hotels are putting them up and they are free. You also get the best spot right up front at most hotels.

Destination chargers seem to be underrated. More and more hotels are putting them up and they are free. You also get the best spot right up front at most hotels.
When I travel I search on PlugShare to see if there are hotels with chargers. With all things being comparable, I’d always choose the hotel with chargers instead. Business will only install more chargers if they know the chargers are being used.

Hotels with destination chargers are usually higher priced than the average. You are not saving money staying at a more expensive hotel. I travel 9 months of thew year (with my Tesla) and I always check where destination chargers are, but rarely stay at those hotels because of the cost.

Hotels with destination chargers are usually higher priced than the average. You are not saving money staying at a more expensive hotel. I travel 9 months of thew year (with my Tesla) and I always check where destination chargers are, but rarely stay at those hotels because of the cost.

I only stay at Marriott brand (lots of stays and points) and chose the one with a charger if possible. I will not pay a premium for it except that there is a monetary value to my time and the time it saves to wake up fully charged.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I only stay at Marriott brand (lots of stays and points) and chose the one with a charger if possible. I will not pay a premium for it except that there is a monetary value to my time and the time it saves to wake up fully charged.
I understand there are some benefits and charging is a monetary value, but the price difference in the hotels is way more than the saved cost for charging. That was my only point.

I understand there are some benefits and charging is a monetary value, but the price difference in the hotels is way more than the saved cost for charging. That was my only point.

Not trying to argue. I am sure there are cases like that but in the ones I have looked at, there was no difference.

But your point is a good one to keep in mind and watch out.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The OP was presenting a strawman argument; no one ever promised that the fluctuating costs of energy would always favor EVs.

Most EV charging is done at home, off-peak. Supercharging cost is the worst-case scenario.

But yeah, I would happily pay twice the price for fuel for the joy of driving a Tesla.
I don’t really think that is fair. EV are marketed almost purely as saving money over fuel and maintenance costs. It’s a primary, marketed benefit. It’s the cake not the frosting.

This was especially true when supercharging was free. Then it wasn’t free, and people said “well it’s cheap, they can’t keep it free forever!” Then they raised the price, people twitched a little. Then they raised supercharging pricing again, and it became “well it’s still cheaper unless you drive a fuel efficient car!” Then they raised it again, and it’s “well it’s as fast as a BMW M5 and costs as much as driving a Prius!”

Now while I agree, that is a rational, and good argument, it doesn’t change the fact, that it was a bait and switch. People are rationalizing in order to continue promoting Teslas and EV vehicles.

Governments are passing EV specific taxes and fees because they are losing out on gas tax. They also want to have use taxes based on mileage driven to make up for it. If they keep that *sugar* up I’ll just be driving old Toyota tundras, and riding my bike!

Tesla shows “savings” when you look at your price for the car. Every manufacturer emphasizes the savings over gas. Batteries certainly aren’t carbon neutral….but that probably a controversial topic here!

Doesn’t change my option that I love the car, how it drives, and bought it because it will be cheaper to drive than my last couple of fancy German sports sedans.

But, let’s be honest with ourselves.

totally.

Cost maybe a more overall? but, in my travels its equal or better... BUT, the convenience cant be denied. I ALWAYS look. It isnt the final decision maker, but it starts the search.

Moderator note: Edited thread title to reflect that this comparison of the costs of Supercharging vs. gas is one person's experience, and not a universal truth.

Drove 680 miles today. Paid $50 for supercharging--and that's coming home with an empty battery (I have to pay to fill it up now).

Gas was around $3/gallon today plus or minus a few cents. A Prius gets around 45 mpg. That's about 15 gallons of gas for $45.

I thought electric was supposed to SAVE money--not cost more.

Mostly just cherry picking. Average US car gets 25mpg, average US gas price is more like $3.50, supercharging is 3x as expensive as the residential electricity that makes up the bulk of your charging.

So yes, the typical Tesla spends far less on fuel. But if you're (1) in an area with cheap gas, (2) replacing a very efficient car and (3) buy the most expensive EV electricity, then... they're just about the same.

But the rest of us are making bank.

Mostly just cherry picking. Average US car gets 25mpg, average US gas price is more like $3.50, supercharging is 3x as expensive as the residential electricity that makes up the bulk of your charging.

So yes, the typical Tesla spends far less on fuel. But if you're (1) in an area with cheap gas, (2) replacing a very efficient car and (3) buy the most expensive EV electricity, then... they're just about the same.

But the rest of us are making bank.
Well said !

EVs can be a real money saver just considering fuel:
I figure 200k miles for a vehicle lifetime, so about 10,000 gallons of fossil fuel at 20 mpg. At $3/gallon, $30,000

200k miles are about 50,000 kWh
About 15% of my miles are road trips, so 7,500 kWh at say 35¢ a kWh - > $2,625
The other 42,500 kWh are 2¢ a kWh from home PV, that costs $850
Total fuel cost $3,500

Fuel savings work out to $30,000-$3,500 = $26,500

Well said !

EVs can be a real money saver just considering fuel:
I figure 200k miles for a vehicle lifetime, so about 10,000 gallons of fossil fuel at 20 mpg. At $3/gallon, $30,000

200k miles are about 50,000 kWh
About 15% of my miles are road trips, so 7,500 kWh at say 35¢ a kWh - > $2,625
The other 42,500 kWh are 2¢ a kWh from home PV, that costs $850
Total fuel cost $3,500

Fuel savings work out to $30,000-$3,500 = $26,500
this is almost exactly how I have it figured, only hadn't done a long term estimate!

----

as far as trips go, the trip we just took KC for a soccer tournament was 586 Miles in total. The charging cost was $64, (this is Including initial 100% charge from home that would have been about 50kwh, est cost of $5) also included a $5 charge at a chargepoint in a office building across the street.

In our pathfinder, best case scenario would be 19mpg. @ $3/gallon, this is $92 So, We saved nearly $30 just on the weekend. 0.29 is the most we paid per kw/h

We did have a bit of a hassle, in that where we stayed was not close to the SC's and I accidentally picked a GEN 1 SC spot to fill up for the town driving.. lol We left and found another. Also, driving across southern Iowa, northern MO is NOT ev friendly, there was some anxiety involved, in watching my speed etc.

Negative note: I'm finding The cruise control at night on rural 2 lane Iowa roads is pure trash though...but that's another thread.

Driving an EV certainly saves money on fuel, but still not as much as I expected. EV savings in my opinion are exaggerated. Many people who claim to be "saving" a lot of money driving a Tesla, most likely came from vehicles that: A) german luxury cars, B) that had really poor mpg, and/or B) used premium fuel.

I came from a 2018 CRV which avg about 30mpg city/highway combined. Driving 10K miles in the CRV uses about 333 gallons of gas and let's assume gas is $3 a gallon. Driving 10K miles in my 2021 MYSR used 2570 kWh (lifetime average is 257) and I pay 15cents a kWh (including taxes & delivery fees). An efficient ICE that averages 30mpg, it costs around $1000 in gas to drive 10K miles. An efficient EV that averages 257 wh/mi, it costs around $385 in electricity to drive 10K miles.

Driving 10K miles annually means are saving about $615 on gas annually. Driving 12K every year is $738 annually. Driving 15K annually is saving $922.50.

....................................................................................................................

Of course, the above is based on L2 home charging. As far as addressing the original topic on is L3 DCFC Supercharging is now as expensive as gas. Take the numbers from the above 10K calculation and yeah.. driving 10K miles, while paying 29cents/kWh at SC is going to cost about $750. Still not the $1000 I would have spent driving the CRV around the highway. But still not far from it. With Tesla switching to dynamic pricing on SC, there is a good chance the cost to SC will be equal to the cost drive a 30mpg vehicle.

The argument that "marketing" is misleading or more accurately, cherrypicking, is like arguing teenagers are self centered. Everyone knows this. When you dont do the research to find the answers you dont get to complain when you didnt know what everyone else already knows.

Driving an EV certainly saves money on fuel, but still not as much as I expected. EV savings in my opinion are exaggerated.
Unless you are only paying for fuel, and someone else is paying for maintenance, money saved on fuel alone isn't the proper calculation to be doing.
Many people who claim to be "saving" a lot of money driving a Tesla, most likely came from vehicles that: A) german luxury cars, B) that had really poor mpg, and/or B) used premium fuel.

I came from a 2018 CRV which avg about 30mpg city/highway combined. Driving 10K miles in the CRV uses about 333 gallons of gas and let's assume gas is $3 a gallon. Driving 10K miles in my 2021 MYSR used 2570 kWh (lifetime average is 257) and I pay 15cents a kWh (including taxes & delivery fees). An efficient ICE that averages 30mpg, it costs around $1000 in gas to drive 10K miles. An efficient EV that averages 257 wh/mi, it costs around $385 in electricity to drive 10K miles.

Driving 10K miles annually means are saving about $615 on gas annually. Driving 12K every year is $738 annually. Driving 15K annually is saving $922.50.
Except you didn't include the cost of oil changes, spark plugs, etc.
Of course, the above is based on L2 home charging. As far as addressing the original topic on is L3 DCFC Supercharging is now as expensive as gas. Take the numbers from the above 10K calculation and yeah.. driving 10K miles, while paying 29cents/kWh at SC is going to cost about $750. Still not the $1000 I would have spent driving the CRV around the highway. But still not far from it. With Tesla switching to dynamic pricing on SC, there is a good chance the cost to SC will be equal to the cost drive a 30mpg vehicle.
Only if you don't understand the concept of driving at off-peak hours. I'm not sure why people want to drive during peak hours to begin with; traffic moves a lot faster during off-peak hours anyway.