Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Supercharging now more expensive than ICE

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
Cities and cars are incompatible. Even low quality city transportation is better than driving a car.
Every time I go to SF, I have a miserable time... Traffic and parking.
Just drove across country. Love the rural drives. Every city was a zoo. Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Orlando. Now in Miami and it is a special kind of hell.
I don't know... I go to the bay area a lot for work... One time, I tried to be good when my boss complained, and I took the train into SF... It was a pain in the ass. And because of the meetings my boss kept having me go to last minute, the money I paid in taxis/ubers/etc made it so it was cheaper to just rent a car. Boss never gave me a hard time ever since I pointed that out. Granted parking was expensive in downtown SF, but that is true of every city I go to.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
I don't know... I go to the bay area a lot for work... One time, I tried to be good when my boss complained, and I took the train into SF... It was a pain in the ass. And because of the meetings my boss kept having me go to last minute, the money I paid in taxis/ubers/etc made it so it was cheaper to just rent a car. Boss never gave me a hard time ever since I pointed that out. Granted parking was expensive in downtown SF, but that is true of every city I go to.
We have parked at one of the East Bay BART stations and taken it into the city. Uber, etc. From there.

Reactions: CyberGus
Gas stations by the freeway exits tend to charge much more than finding your way into town to get a cheaper Costco or Walmart fill up.

While sometimes the charging costs of an EV get close to the costs of using gasoline, that fails to take into consideration the considerable air pollution that your gasser produces going down the highway. There is a reason that most all gassers put their tailpipes out the back instead of out of the front where the engine is. People do not want to breath their own fumes :(

Most EV owners fill up at home, and during the off peak hours. This protects the grid and allows utilities to even out their consumption.

The true economic and ecological winners are those that can connect to their solar powered homes and essentially "Run on Sunshine".

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC