Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging old timers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree across the board. My P85D “lost” 7mi of range after the updates, but the more annoying downside is indeed the slower SuC rates. I recently saw a max of 118kW (previous high was 116kW, so no real diff), but the taper back to sub-80kW was quite fast and it does take longer overall to reach 80-90%.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud and GSP
A better route planner tracks the charge rates for purposes of route calculation. They've found a significant reduction in charge rates since June -- around when the 2019.20.x updates started to roll. Posted in httptheir latest blog post -https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.com/blogs/entry/30-tesla-supercharging-summer-2019-update/

In any case if you want to preserve supercharge rate on a 85kwh battery and you're still on a 2019.16 release best to pass on any updates.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
There r several post above about this. My batteries were built in 2012. Since the recent updates my charging has dropped a lot. I used to see 120, now I'm lucky to see 80. I've kept a log and pictures, from all over the USA. It's going downhill fast. I go to DC every month or so, it takes me 2 hours longer now to charge. Here is my battery degradation charge today.

Attachments

• 20190903_141605.jpg
    20190903_141605.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 102
no
only battery temp(&condition) / available power will reduce charge speed
technically, sure they could but it would not be productive in any way

I assume technically Tesla could do whatever they want for SC. They could slow it down in half, they could put in a hard limit of 80%. The reasoning could simple be "safety". They could also have a blacklist of VINs and charge them differently. etc..

I am the original owner of my 2013 P85. I maybe supercharge 15 times a year and used to be able to get roughly 110kw at best when I charge with the range down to 20 to 30 miles. I typically arrive at the supercharger after 2 hours of driving so I know the battery should be "warm." Temperature is usually 60 degrees.

I haven't been at the supercharger the last few months and started using them. With the last few software updates, it seems they have really throttled my 85kw charging. It wont go beyond 67kw... on average, the rate is 41-46kw. Just to charge to 80%, it says it will take up to 1 hour. I have tried the Roseville, Vacaville, and San Ramon superchargers. Same experience.

My question is with all the older 2013 or 2014 85kw battery backs, is your supercharging rate this slow? Traveling long trips with this slow of a charge rate makes this vehicle not usable as I do not want to sit for an hour just to "make it" to the next supercharger. And it sure makes it inconvenient for busy superchargers.

Thanks for your input.
Yes.... Mine just slowed with the last update.... Was getting 125 now getting around 75 :(. S85 w/ ~64k miles.

I guess this is one way to force people to upgrade for those that use their cars for long travels! I understand they need to protect the batteries, but what they did is put a bandaid. When I bought my car, he advertised fast charging (~ 30 min) and now it is 1 hour at least. My opinion is to either fix it to make it charge the same or compensate. I feel like the VW diesel scandal. At least they compensated the owners with either a buy back or cash back.

Supercharging has been significantly reduced for older batteries. A recent software update allowed a brief moment of charging at up to 130 kW. Makes you feel good seeing this high number but it drops down very quickly and much faster than it used to. It got worse over the years and a few months ago, they reduced even more. Look here:

Supercharging classic 85, or what's left of it

This is shady of tesla!

The odd part is that the speed reduction has nothing to do with the use of the battery. We see the reduced speed at the supercharger in all 85 cars regardless of how many miles they have. I guess that means Tesla didn't fully understand what the long term effects of fast charging are. I remember in 2014 Elon said in regards to supercharging that they are on the conservative side. Turns out the opposite is true. At least for the old cell chemistry.

I came to see if others were experiencing exactly what everyone is describing!

I have a 2016 85d purchased Dec 2018. When I first charged at a 120kw charger, it would start at about 108 and go down to 100 then 90s etc. All with decent time.

Now even the 150kw chargers start at just over the 100 and almost immediately drop below. Time to charge extended. I wondered whether seeking a check at the service centre would enable them to tweak anything. It seems not!

Now even the 150kw chargers start at just over the 100 and almost immediately drop below. Time to charge extended. I wondered whether seeking a check at the service centre would enable them to tweak anything. It seems not!

Give it a try, but I highly doubt they will do anything. Everyone with a 85 battery has a significantly reduced charge rate. 90 batteries also get reduced (just in a different way). So far I have not heard of a single case where Telsa has done anything to fix this.

I have a P85 that had battery replaced with remanned B revision. ~Two months ago ago I hit 145kw! My old A pack was limited to 90kw, got this and was immediately able to do 120kw, and to my surprise a few months ago looked down and saw the 145kw at a SC.

If what you say is true, perhaps you stumbled upon a remedy. As pimp-boy referenced the similarities to VAG's Diesel-gate, perhaps Tesla will be encouraged to find a way to improve the throttled charging speed either by another software update or hardware (battery pack in your case).

Recharging to 80% of the battery capacity or mileage range in 40 minutes was a big selling point for these cars. The current recharging abilities are pretty far from where they use to be. I don't know if "bait and switch" would apply here. I'm convinced the slower charging update was done out of an abundance of caution given the recent international battery fire incidents, but we're all speculating because Tesla's communication leaves much to be desired.

If what you say is true, perhaps you stumbled upon a remedy. As pimp-boy referenced the similarities to VAG's Diesel-gate, perhaps Tesla will be encouraged to find a way to improve the throttled charging speed either by another software update or hardware (battery pack in your case).

Recharging to 80% of the battery capacity or mileage range in 40 minutes was a big selling point for these cars. The current recharging abilities are pretty far from where they use to be. I don't know if "bait and switch" would apply here. I'm convinced the slower charging update was done out of an abundance of caution given the recent international battery fire incidents, but we're all speculating because Tesla's communication leaves much to be desired.

The peak rate is rather meaningless. It peaks only for seconds before it drops rapidly. What matter is the time it takes to recharge say 150 miles of rated range. Yes they increased the peak rate of the old batteries to 130 (or maybe even more now) but that way it tapers down has been reduced pretty bad. The reduction came long before the fires, BTW.

The peak rate is rather meaningless. It peaks only for seconds before it drops rapidly. What matter is the time it takes to recharge say 150 miles of rated range. Yes they increased the peak rate of the old batteries to 130 (or maybe even more now) but that way it tapers down has been reduced pretty bad. The reduction came long before the fires, BTW.

I haven't see SuC rates above 80kW at a V2 Supercharger since June 2019, but I haven't had many opportunities for testing. The last V2 station I've been to had several pedestals out of commission (Redondo Beach); so our 2013 S85 has never seen rates above 112kW. I'll have to give it another try before my next road trip. If it's slow then our Tesla will be relegated to Level 2 charging, will stay home for local driving, and I'll have to fire up the old TDI.

I thought the slowdown via software updated happened in July around the release of the V3 SuC. As for chronology, the Tesla fire in Shanghai I was referring to happed on April 22, 2019, followed by a Tesla charging fire while SuC in Belgium. According to Eletrek, there were 4 fires within 2 months. Older Model S 85s started seeing longer Supercharging sessions around June 2019 after the 2019.20.1 firmware update; I believe it coincided with lost range which many have speculated as a result of a software limited upper capacity.

A Better Route Planner has a graph of the difference, stating their benchmark of charging from 10kW to 50kW taking about 5 minutes longer. However, they did not measure the increased time to recharge to 80% or beyond:

BT85_s85_July-August.png.be93535c0173f48c73cc9d314ad15448.png

I hope Tesla can figure out how to safely restore both the battery capacity and recharging speed for quicker recharging, but we have no idea what they're working on or why they made these changes to begin with...again, their communication is pretty poor.