Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging old timers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the original owner of my 2013 P85. I maybe supercharge 15 times a year and used to be able to get roughly 110kw at best when I charge with the range down to 20 to 30 miles. I typically arrive at the supercharger after 2 hours of driving so I know the battery should be "warm." Temperature is usually 60 degrees.

I haven't been at the supercharger the last few months and started using them. With the last few software updates, it seems they have really throttled my 85kw charging. It wont go beyond 67kw... on average, the rate is 41-46kw. Just to charge to 80%, it says it will take up to 1 hour. I have tried the Roseville, Vacaville, and San Ramon superchargers. Same experience.

My question is with all the older 2013 or 2014 85kw battery backs, is your supercharging rate this slow? Traveling long trips with this slow of a charge rate makes this vehicle not usable as I do not want to sit for an hour just to "make it" to the next supercharger. And it sure makes it inconvenient for busy superchargers.

Thanks for your input.
My 2013 P85 rarely gets over 37kw anymore. I used to get WAAAAY higher.

My 2013 P85 rarely gets over 37kw anymore. I used to get WAAAAY higher.
For me, this is the case for a while (a year?) at the supercharger near home, where I seldomly charge anyway, only if I forgot to plug the car at home the night before traveling. I thought it was related to the "superchargers are for travel" kind of argument.
But being limited to <80 kWh at superchargers away from home is new.

Reactions: VMack