Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging old timers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the original owner of my 2013 P85. I maybe supercharge 15 times a year and used to be able to get roughly 110kw at best when I charge with the range down to 20 to 30 miles. I typically arrive at the supercharger after 2 hours of driving so I know the battery should be "warm." Temperature is usually 60 degrees.

I haven't been at the supercharger the last few months and started using them. With the last few software updates, it seems they have really throttled my 85kw charging. It wont go beyond 67kw... on average, the rate is 41-46kw. Just to charge to 80%, it says it will take up to 1 hour. I have tried the Roseville, Vacaville, and San Ramon superchargers. Same experience.

My question is with all the older 2013 or 2014 85kw battery backs, is your supercharging rate this slow? Traveling long trips with this slow of a charge rate makes this vehicle not usable as I do not want to sit for an hour just to "make it" to the next supercharger. And it sure makes it inconvenient for busy superchargers.

Thanks for your input.

• Informative
Reactions: VMack and GSP
No, my 14 S85 still peaks over 100 and even as high as 110 for a few seconds, and follows a normal taper. But it still takes about an hour to SC from below 20% to over 90%. I usually set the charge limit to 100% and it will say 1 hour 10 minutes. But I always stop when it reaches over 90 by a few percent... and find that has taken the hour.

I supercharge dozens of times per year, over lunch or breakfast, because its close and free.

My actual degradation is about 5% on 160k km on the pack.

My battery is not the A version is yours?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
No, my 14 S85 still peaks over 100 and even as high as 110 for a few seconds, and follows a normal taper. But it still takes about an hour to SC from below 20% to over 90%. I usually set the charge limit to 100% and it will say 1 hour 10 minutes. But I always stop when it reaches over 90 by a few percent... and find that has taken the hour.

My battery is not the A version is yours?

Thanks for getting back to me. Mine is the B version. I'm out of warranty and before I schedule a visit to the SC, want to be sure no one else is having this issue before i make an appointment to pay for diags.

Thanks for getting back to me. Mine is the B version. I'm out of warranty and before I schedule a visit to the SC, want to be sure no one else is having this issue before i make an appointment to pay for diags.
lots of people are having this 'problem'

also rev B.

charging used to be pretty much right at '121' for me - SOC + kW charge rate. now it is more like 100 (110 for tiny bit)
60kW @ 40% .. . 40kW @ 60%
quite a few threads about this latest 'issue'

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tesseract
I haven't seen this protracted lagging time estimate starting guess thingy going on.. my car forms an estimate quickly and charging starts and the estimated remaining always ticks down right away.. to pretty darn close to its initial estimate. Maybe 5 minutes longer to reach it, but not bad.

This is when I pull up to SC cold and surprise charge without doing a nav that conditions for charging.

My taper crossing point is 59kW at 59% when supercharging. So I'm a "118"er

Maybe worth noting I'm on sw version 2019.16.3.2 and am currently rejecting updates because I don't like where Tesla software is going. I am going to have to see a helluva improvement in V10 to get me to move along, or a mandatory service visit update... not that I love v9, I hate it.. but there's more negatives than positives coming out with updates these days. And I'm not falling for the better Games enticements, that's garbage.

Last edited:
Same here on 13 s 85
Just had main battery replaced in march too. We used to always see 110-115kw for the first few minutes when around 20%soc and now max we see is 90 kw for a split second then drops to 75 for peak charging.

This truly makes road trips longer

Reactions: GreenT

How can you be "out of warranty?"

IIRC, the warranty for the battery (and drive unit, retroactively) for a 2013 Model S 85 would be 8 years and UNLIMITED miles. It's not even close to 2021 yet . . . so you're still well within your warranty period.

I haven't seen this protracted lagging time estimate starting guess thingy going on.. my car forms an estimate quickly and charging starts and the estimated remaining always ticks down right away.. to pretty darn close to its initial estimate. Maybe 5 minutes longer to reach it, but not bad.

This is when I pull up to SC cold and surprise charge without doing a nav that conditions for charging.

My taper crossing point is 59kW at 59% when supercharging. So I'm a "118"er

Maybe worth noting I'm on sw version 2019.16.3.2 and am currently rejecting updates because I don't like where Tesla software is going. I am going to have to see a helluva improvement in V10 to get me to move along, or a mandatory service visit update... not that I love v9, I hate it.. but there's more negatives than positives coming out with updates these days. And I'm not falling for the better Games enticements, that's garbage.

I wish I rejected the updates. It just got so annoying everyone I park the car, it keeps having click close just to see the screen again. Good way to annoy you to update. I am currently on 2019.24.4.

For Tesla to cover themselves, it looks like they have to throttle us old timers because it could not handle a sustained supercharge per their advertisement of only needing 30 minutes or so to make it to another station. Elon stated before that we could supercharge per our desire without affecting the battery life. Now it takes me around 1 hour just to get 125 to 150 miles from 20 miles to 30 miles.

I feel like a damn Leaf or Smart Cart!!!!!!

Correct. I am in warrantynfornthe battery, butnif they say "as expected ", I'm assuming they will charge me for diags. I wanted to see if others had this same experience so I don't waste my time going in. Seems like others are... I definitely wouldn't mind a new battery!!

How can you be "out of warranty?"

IIRC, the warranty for the battery (and drive unit, retroactively) for a 2013 Model S 85 would be 8 years and UNLIMITED miles. It's not even close to 2021 yet . . . so you're still well within your warranty period.

You are requesting diagnostic information on a part with a warranty of 8 years and unlimited mileage.

There should be NO charge of any sort, but, frankly, I doubt they'll find any issues, but who knows.

Perhaps it's time to start charging to 100% and running down single-digit miles to hasten the demise of your battery before the warranty expires!

I am the original owner of my 2013 P85. I maybe supercharge 15 times a year and used to be able to get roughly 110kw at best when I charge with the range down to 20 to 30 miles. I typically arrive at the supercharger after 2 hours of driving so I know the battery should be "warm." Temperature is usually 60 degrees.

I haven't been at the supercharger the last few months and started using them. With the last few software updates, it seems they have really throttled my 85kw charging. It wont go beyond 67kw... on average, the rate is 41-46kw. Just to charge to 80%, it says it will take up to 1 hour. I have tried the Roseville, Vacaville, and San Ramon superchargers. Same experience.

My question is with all the older 2013 or 2014 85kw battery backs, is your supercharging rate this slow? Traveling long trips with this slow of a charge rate makes this vehicle not usable as I do not want to sit for an hour just to "make it" to the next supercharger. And it sure makes it inconvenient for busy superchargers.

Thanks for your input.

Just curious if you have noticed your rated range being a lot lower than it used to be as well?
I'm wondering if the slower charge rates are coupled with the software battery limiting batterygate

Because many of us Supercharge so infrequently (like I've had 3 software updates since the last time I visited a SuC) that it is difficult to determine if the slower charging rate is due to normal stuff (battery temperature, sharing a cabinet with your charging neighbor, %SOC, etc), a bad connection, a bad pedestal/cabinet, software update, or vehicle hardware.

I pulled into the Redondo Beach V2 Superchargers and found 2 of the 8 stalls to be out of commission with the cords wrapped around the pedestal frame and had to wait about 10 minutes for an available stall. As soon as I plugged in, I saw it was charging very slowly after a 70 mile drive and 18% SOC. I was bobbing between 28kW and 30kW. Apparently the 100D next to me was there charging for nearly an hour with no indication that it full. After 10 minutes, I decide to stop charging and blow on the plug pins (just like the old Nintendo cartridges). I plug it back in and now I'm getting a steady 50kW. I wasn't the 130kW I was hoping for, but I was able to get 80 miles added in about 30 minutes to make it home.

I'm not sure if my car's hardware,. software, or if the pedestal/cabinet was goofy. I tried called Tesla about the Supercharger stalls being out but gave up after being on hold for 20 minutes.

Thanks for your input.
I have read that this is a software restriction for older Teslas to help preserve the battery pack.

I have a 2015 model S 11/15 build with 85k miles on the odometer. About a week ago I supercharged at a relatively low SOC about 13%. I saw 123kW after plugging in. I’m on software 2019.24.4. I’m the original owner. This is the first time I saw 123kW. The typical max is 115 or 116.
10CB2175-F975-4570-8DF4-AB179C1BA8A4.png

• Informative

Thanks for your input.

I'm having pretty much the same experience with a late 2013 Model S85.

I do see up to 115 kW at least briefly if I'm down below 20% on arrival. But it starts to taper almost immediately and is down to 50kW at 50%, so takes an hour to get to 80% and I rarely get to 90% at a SC unless doing a sit down meal.

I clearly recall my guideline a couple of years ago was 60 kW at 60%. It may have been higher originally, but it took me a while to pay attention to the SOC instead of the "speed in kph", which used to be averaged over the session but seems to be instantaneous now.

I supercharge about monthly like you, mainly for trips of 500 to 1000 km distance, so once or twice during the trip. Otherwise, I'm on NEMA-14-50 at 10 kW. My degradation is only about 1%. Also, I get rated range routinely, even when driving 110-125 kph, in the summer, so the battery is healthy.

Frankly, I would trade a bit of degradation to hold the original charging speed. Tesla, are you listening?

• Informative