Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging on Long Trips

How often have you used Superchargers for long-distance travel?

• Weekly

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • Never

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once last summer on a Toronto to Chicago trip. Had to overnight in Windsor because no Superchargers were in Canada at the time. I used Angola IN, Mishawaka, IN and Aurora IL on the way down (first long trip, playing it safe), but only needed Angola on the way back.

Canmore, Alberta SC just opened yesterday! Yeah!! The missing link. NOW my trip from Edmonton to Vancouver is SC enabled, so I will be taking my first long haul road trip at the end of this month.

By the way, Vancouver is the closest Tesla store to my home. A mere 1300 km (800 miles) away.

Our late December built P85D that my wife is currently in the process of putting our 5000th mile on as I type has never experienced a Supercharger charge. Once the Syracuse Supercharger has opened we'll take it there just to make sure everything works. I read here about someone in Canada who discovered his P85D wouldn't charge from Superchargers. That wouldn't be something we'd want to discover during a trip when we actually need the Supercharger.

I can't quite consider myself up to "monthly" yet -- in 18 months of ownership I've taken 11 trips that are longer than the car's range, including one incredibly fun 2500-mile trip along much of the east coast. For all but three of those trips I used superchargers:
* I went from DC to Pittsburgh twice early on, before the superchargers along that route were built
* I went to Charlottesville once, where I probably could have stretched and made it back without charging if I really had to, but instead plugged into 120V at my hotel overnight

I have at least three more supercharged trips coming up in the next four months, so I guess I'm getting a bit closer to monthly.

I did technically use (and need!) a "local" supercharger for one of my trips though. I was scheduled to go from DC to Pittsburgh one afternoon for work, but at the last minute I had to add a stop northwest of Baltimore that morning. The catch was I had already agreed to pick up three co-workers and take them to Pittsburgh. Solution: my co-workers met me at the Bethesda supercharger. I'm not sure I would've made it to Hagerstown without that charge in Bethesda.

Voted occasionally as there is no option for quarterly :)

Over two years of ownership I've taken 3 trips over 1,000 miles each way, another 2 that were over 350 each way and 15+ day trips required destination charging but not supercharging. 30A charging is fine if you're spending the day (or the night) somewhere.

I hope to soon, but due to the fact that the first supercharger within driving range of my home just opened last month and that I have an extra/temporary kid (exchange student), we haven't had the opportunity to take the Model S on a long trip. I will use a supercharger for the first time on Saturday.

My new MS is only days short of a year old. Odometer is 68 k km (you don't say 68 Mm?), so I drive a lot all over Germany. I use the SuC a lot. They enable autobahn speed travel where a year ago I fet limited to high efficiency.

I do not have exact record, but I would estimate the energy mix for my MS is

40 % at home, most of that solar (unless I need to charge at night; this need will lessen when the MX arrives)
40 % SuC
10 % destination charging at hotels or one of my offices
10 % other chargers in the wild

Actually I am contemplating unloading many of the miscellaneous cables and adapters I am carrying in the frunk. Seldom need them. But then again - if you do need them ....

Just went from Santa Cruz, CA to Oxnard, CA for a lecture Sunday. Had to hit three SCs down and two back. Mainly due to the mountains. While I am the type to drive straight through, no matter how long the drive is, I actually enjoyed getting out and walking around for 20-30 min while I charged. I did Gilroy, Atascadero, Oxnard. All were wide open, full kW and a piece of cake.