TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharging on Long Trips

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Robert.Boston, Mar 13, 2015.

?

How often have you used Superchargers for long-distance travel?

1. Weekly

9 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Monthly

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Occasionally

59 vote(s)
    59.6%
  4. Never

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Model S owners: how often have you used Superchargers on long trips? Please don't include "local" Supercharger usage.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Once last summer on a Toronto to Chicago trip. Had to overnight in Windsor because no Superchargers were in Canada at the time. I used Angola IN, Mishawaka, IN and Aurora IL on the way down (first long trip, playing it safe), but only needed Angola on the way back.

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

My long trips via Supercharger have numbered perhaps six or seven in the last 15 months, so I'm right between 'occasionally' and 'monthly'.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Canmore, Alberta SC just opened yesterday! Yeah!! The missing link. NOW my trip from Edmonton to Vancouver is SC enabled, so I will be taking my first long haul road trip at the end of this month.

By the way, Vancouver is the closest Tesla store to my home. A mere 1300 km (800 miles) away.

5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Our late December built P85D that my wife is currently in the process of putting our 5000th mile on as I type has never experienced a Supercharger charge. Once the Syracuse Supercharger has opened we'll take it there just to make sure everything works. I read here about someone in Canada who discovered his P85D wouldn't charge from Superchargers. That wouldn't be something we'd want to discover during a trip when we actually need the Supercharger.

6. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Supercharged a month ago - Cleveland to Philadelphia and back, and then two weeks later a round trip Cleveland/Washington DC. Really can't be beat.

7. paulkva

paulkva Member

I can't quite consider myself up to "monthly" yet -- in 18 months of ownership I've taken 11 trips that are longer than the car's range, including one incredibly fun 2500-mile trip along much of the east coast. For all but three of those trips I used superchargers:
    * I went from DC to Pittsburgh twice early on, before the superchargers along that route were built
    * I went to Charlottesville once, where I probably could have stretched and made it back without charging if I really had to, but instead plugged into 120V at my hotel overnight

I have at least three more supercharged trips coming up in the next four months, so I guess I'm getting a bit closer to monthly.

I did technically use (and need!) a "local" supercharger for one of my trips though. I was scheduled to go from DC to Pittsburgh one afternoon for work, but at the last minute I had to add a stop northwest of Baltimore that morning. The catch was I had already agreed to pick up three co-workers and take them to Pittsburgh. Solution: my co-workers met me at the Bethesda supercharger. I'm not sure I would've made it to Hagerstown without that charge in Bethesda.

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Voted occasionally as there is no option for quarterly :)

Over two years of ownership I've taken 3 trips over 1,000 miles each way, another 2 that were over 350 each way and 15+ day trips required destination charging but not supercharging. 30A charging is fine if you're spending the day (or the night) somewhere.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I hope to soon, but due to the fact that the first supercharger within driving range of my home just opened last month and that I have an extra/temporary kid (exchange student), we haven't had the opportunity to take the Model S on a long trip. I will use a supercharger for the first time on Saturday.

10. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

My new MS is only days short of a year old. Odometer is 68 k km (you don't say 68 Mm?), so I drive a lot all over Germany. I use the SuC a lot. They enable autobahn speed travel where a year ago I fet limited to high efficiency.

I do not have exact record, but I would estimate the energy mix for my MS is

40 % at home, most of that solar (unless I need to charge at night; this need will lessen when the MX arrives)
    40 % SuC
    10 % destination charging at hotels or one of my offices
    10 % other chargers in the wild

Actually I am contemplating unloading many of the miscellaneous cables and adapters I am carrying in the frunk. Seldom need them. But then again - if you do need them ....

11. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

St Joe Michigan to LA in January 2300 miles. Will be doing the same trip in reverse this May.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree you don't actually need them, until you need them.

12. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Just went from Santa Cruz, CA to Oxnard, CA for a lecture Sunday. Had to hit three SCs down and two back. Mainly due to the mountains. While I am the type to drive straight through, no matter how long the drive is, I actually enjoyed getting out and walking around for 20-30 min while I charged. I did Gilroy, Atascadero, Oxnard. All were wide open, full kW and a piece of cake.