Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging on way home from buying Tesla out of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again I'm not talking about transferring ownership, just a way to allow additional forms of payment for supercharging, without necessarily being linked to main Tesla account. Why do you think Tesla should have the need to verify that I want to allow someone else to pay for charging the car?

Maybe because you don't want a random person to be able to monitor your movements without your knowledge/approval.

Maybe because you don't want a random person to be able to monitor your movements without your knowledge/approval.
random person?

Look, in an ICE car, or even any other electric car. You can pull up anywhere and use multiple forms of payment to purchase fuel / energy. Why should this suddenly be an issue for Tesla?

All I'm saying is that there should be a way to supercharge your tesla without associating it to your main Tesla account.

Reactions: Margaritaboy
random person?

Look, in an ICE car, or even any other electric car. You can pull up anywhere and use multiple forms of payment to purchase fuel / energy. Why should this suddenly be an issue for Tesla?

All I'm saying is that there should be a way to supercharge your tesla without associating it to your main Tesla account.

So anyone should be able to change the credit card your Tesla uses for Supercharging to anything they want? Even a stolen/invalid one?

If you are saying you want Tesla to add (a) kisok(s) to the Supercharger sites to allow for unlinked Supercharger payment, or to have an option to click something on the center screen to say bill this credit card for this single Supercharging session, good luck with that. It goes against the integrated Tesla ecosystem and the frictionless way they want Supercharging to work. (Setup your account, add a credit card, and just charge when needed.)

So anyone should be able to change the credit card your Tesla uses for Supercharging to anything they want? Even a stolen/invalid one?

If you are saying you want Tesla to add (a) kisok(s) to the Supercharger sites to allow for unlinked Supercharger payment, or to have an option to click something on the center screen to say bill this credit card for this single Supercharging session, good luck with that. It goes against the integrated Tesla ecosystem and the frictionless way they want Supercharging to work. (Setup your account, add a credit card, and just charge when needed.)
what?

Not sure if you have already completed your purchase, but I did this same thing and bought the car from a private party in DC and drove to Atlanta.

First off - you can't add the car to your account until you send tesla your purchase information and they approve it. This takes 2-3 days (even though their estimate says up to weeks).

This means you can't supercharge it on your account because it's not added. A lot of dealerships I spoke with don't know how to add the Tesla to their own account when they acquire it, and will know nothing about transferring it to you. So bottom line is when you purchase, you'll have to make sure they have the car set up in their app with a card on file, and you can just prepay them $50 or whatever for the estimated SC costs. Then when you get back, send all the paperwork requested from Tesla in (I think bill of sale and your ID) and they will add it to your account.

• Informative
Reactions: Margaritaboy

An added benefit is in situations like a Turo rental (or if rental agencies ever start adding Teslas en-mass to their fleets), then I can pay for the charging I use. I see Turo hosts marking up the cost for Supercharging pretty routinely and it would be great to just be able to cover the costs directly. This would be different than adding the car to my account. I can’t see what abuse could come from such a feature. Probably not the highest priority feature, but it would be nice to have.

Another hiccup/ question I have would be about the LTE connectivity. If this was not subscribed through Tesla, how much more difficult would a multi-day trip home be? My understanding is that navigation still works, it just won’t do real time traffic visualizations. And I suppose I wouldn’t be able to watch Netflix on my way home either. Anything else about not having an LTE subscription that would be extra challenging? I assume this too would need to be setup through a Tesla account.
Without premium connectivity you can still navigate without any issues. You will only have street maps vs satellite maps and you will no see live traffic alerts. You also won't be able to use any of the streaming services via the touch screen, but you can still use streaming services on your phone while using the car audio. Nothing that should derail a long trip.

If I am at a supercharger, with a Tesla. Why can't I open the app to allow payment for charging the car, it could be an option without stepping on seamless integration of the usual super charger stop...
In regards to this thread, you cannot open the app because without the car registered to your Tesla account the app doesn't work. I think the superchargers need a way to "pay-at-the-pump" to avoid these kinds of situations. This would help out those that rent on Turo as well.

In regards to this thread, you cannot open the app because without the car registered to your Tesla account the app doesn't work. I think the superchargers need a way to "pay-at-the-pump" to avoid these kinds of situations. This would help out those that rent on Turo as well.
Right, but it does not have to be that way, that's just the way it is now :). They could even use a different app etc.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
All - just as an update, I purchased a used 2018 LR yesterday from out of state. The original owner performed a factory reset before my trip home, and removed the car from his account during my drive. I did stop once to supercharge near home (no 240V at home yet) and had no issues. Also lifetime premium connectivity which was included with his car has worked yesterday and today. Sent the documentation to Tesla yesterday and waiting for it to be added to my account. But no issues with the supercharging, which was the main concern.

All - just as an update, I purchased a used 2018 LR yesterday from out of state. The original owner performed a factory reset before my trip home, and removed the car from his account during my drive. I did stop once to supercharge near home (no 240V at home yet) and had no issues. Also lifetime premium connectivity which was included with his car has worked yesterday and today. Sent the documentation to Tesla yesterday and waiting for it to be added to my account. But no issues with the supercharging, which was the main concern.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Lifetime premium data is transferable? I didn't think it was.

Just to clarify: the prior owner removed the car from his account AFTER you had completed your trip and supercharged, correct?

Otherwise I want to know how you were able to supercharge a car that had not been added to an account.

Hi. Good question but it was actually the opposite. He sent a screenshot of an email from Tesla saying the vehicle was removed from his account at 1pm the day of sale. I supercharged 4 hours later.

I sent in copies of title and driver's license about an hour after I supercharged, which was Wednesday at 6pm. Tesla sent a reply saying info was received and should be processed within 72 hours. As of today (Friday AM) it has not yet been added to my account. If I have time I'll go put it on the supercharger for a couple minutes to test it again

Hi. Good question but it was actually the opposite. He sent a screenshot of an email from Tesla saying the vehicle was removed from his account at 1pm the day of sale. I supercharged 4 hours later.

I sent in copies of title and driver's license about an hour after I supercharged, which was Wednesday at 6pm. Tesla sent a reply saying info was received and should be processed within 72 hours. As of today (Friday AM) it has not yet been added to my account. If I have time I'll go put it on the supercharger for a couple minutes to test it again
It's fortunate for you that the superchargers worked in this scenarios. However, what happens when someone is planning a long distance drive after buying a used Tesla and the Supercharger doesn't work when you get there? Is there a way to enable supercharging without having the car on your account and the app setup? Or maybe, while the car is not associated to any account, supercharging fees are associated to the VIN and once the VIN is associated to an account the charges are then applied to the account?