Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do so many people use the 14-50 instead of the cheaper 6-50? The only resin I ask is because I just bought 65' of 6-3 wire last night at Lowes and I probably could have saved about 40 bucks or so.
icon3.gif
Thats right the 14-50 comes with the car so no need to spend the extra money on the adaptor.

The 6-50 is usually found in welding shops and similar places. With the 14-50 you can plug in your RV as well as Brian says. Most people don't have that long of a run so the difference in wiring isn't all that great and unless your hobby is welding, the 14-50 is likely more useful.

I don't understand why you would have even purchased a Tesla??? If you are unable to charge it at your own home or work facility then it would be pretty much ... useless I'd say.

SuperChargers are not meant for locals, they are meant for those who travel.

Last edited:
Another option to consider if your landlord isn't keen on installing an outlet is to consider other aparment buildings or businesses that are within a block from your apartment (perhaps even next door). Maybe you can find one sympathetic to your cause and can park there instead? Obviously, offer to pay for the electric usage and install.

- - - Updated - - -

To add,you won't lose a mile an hour when it's cold out. Nowhere close to that. Significant improvements in energy usage have come in recent firmware updates. I just went 4 days and only lost 9 miles while parked in 38-55° weather.

In January, when it was a bit colder, I lost 6 miles a day...although that was with an older firmware version, so much of the improvement is likely from firmware.

I don't understand why you would have even purchased a Tesla??? If you are unable to charge it at your own home or work facility then it would be pretty much ... useless I'd say.

SuperChargers are not meant for locals, they are meant for those who travel.

I bought a Tesla, have no home charging.

Have been using public charging and awesome service/stores' HPWCs for the last 3 weeks and waiting for the supercharger down the road to open up.

I moved halfway around the world to drive this car, don't give a fawk about the inconvenience of not having home charging

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my Tesla. Living and managing a building with no place to charge. It got old very fast, luckily in Oregon there are EV charging stations every where. I would suggest the chademo adapter but I am not sure if those chargers are available where you live. I did supercharge a few times but it was a 40 mile round trip and that got old really fast.

I got lucky that the owner of my building is a Model X reservation holder and agreed to making me a parking spot, though I had to pay for the power install. You could always move to Portland and live in my building and charge here.

Last edited:
Is there anyway you could secure a parking spot closer to someplace where at least a 110V outlet could be installed? I agree you may have better luck at work. Tell them you'll pay installation costs and hardware assuming to will be reasonable. Good luck!

I know you said the apartment won't install a 110V outlet but if you offered to pay for it there or at work that might be the cheapest solution. Not great but better than nothing. With the Supercharger to top you off after trips.

Last edited:
Is there anyway you could secure a parking spot closer to someplace where at least a 110V outlet could be installed? I agree you may have better luck at work. Tell them you'll pay installation costs and hardware assuming to will be reasonable. Good luck!
No dice on the 110V outlet - can't find any in the garage. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

As for work, I got the facilities guy hooked up with the Chargepoint sales manager. Let's see if any magic happens. :p
Although it doesn't take that long to actually charge, the Bethesda SC is inconveniently convenient, so ICEing may become a problem, as are Teslas that show up for a charge while watching a movie or doing extensive shopping

I'm not too worried about either not having a spot or denying someone else a spot. I'll likely be done by 7AM, hours before the mall opens. The perks of being a morning person. Maybe the 25-mile roundtrip will be my weekly zen moment.
I don't understand why you would have even purchased a Tesla???

I'm currently car-free and can get by without a vehicle (I just can't leave the city, like, ever). Bought the Tesla (a red P85, no less) to help evangelize the future. All my coworkers are getting test drives. :)

C/2 on a Model S is 42.5kW. A SuperCharger charges at 1.5C.

good point by rlang59, editing now:

Supercharger charge rates in terms of C vary

90KW / 85 KW (90 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is only 1.05C
120KW / 85 KW (120 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is 1.41C
90KW / 60 KW (90 KW on model S with 60 KW battery) is 1.5C
105KW / 60 KW (120 KW supercharger limited to 105KW on model S with 60 KW battery) is 1.75C

But it only charges that fast until the taper kicks in and then only if you are the only car on the charger. Making sure to get the 2nd cable on a charger could ensure a slower rate of charge but wouldn't be an option if a second tesla isn't present when you are charging.

I have to think since they don't allow the 60KW battery to charge at 120KW that the charge rate above 1.75C is unacceptable to Tesla. 1.5 seems to be OK in their eyes.

Last edited:
Supercharger charge rates in terms of C vary

90KW / 85 KW (90 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is only 1.05C
90KW / 60 KW (90 KW on model S with 60 KW battery) is 1.5C
120KW / 85 KW (120 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is 1.41C
120KW / 60 KW (120 KW supercharger on model S with 60 KW battery) is 2.0C

But it only charges that fast until the taper kicks in and then only if you are the only car on the charger. Making sure to get the 2nd cable on a charger could ensure a slower rate of charge but wouldn't be an option if a second tesla isn't present when you are charging.

Just a quick point here, the 60 does not charge at 120kw.

I don't think they install the units, unless there is a local distributor who handles that. But any electrical contractor should be able to install it. You can look at the installation procedures in the manuals posted on their website Or give Clipper Creek a call and see what they suggest.