Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging option pricing/60 kWh pack fee discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And my first reaction was just the opposite of yours, discoducky ... "Nice of them to split the difference for those either configured or close to having to configure." Elon did say something about a fee for the 60kwh battery option - this seems far more reasonable than pay/use. To me, anyway.

The 60kwh supercharger pricing was TBD on Tesla's website for a very long time so I'm not surprised there's a cost. The cost seems high though. $1000/$2000 in gas would cover a tremendous amount of road tripping in an ICE.

And my first reaction was just the opposite of yours, discoducky ... "Nice of them to split the difference for those either configured or close to having to configure." Elon did say something about a fee for the 60kwh battery option - this seems far more reasonable than pay/use. To me, anyway.

Are you getting the 60kWh battery? Not sure you are feeling the pain.

This is really inconsistent with what Elon said on Monday:

So for Model S cars that have the supercharger hardware installed, which will be the case for the 85kWh pack and for a small incremental charge for the 60kWh pack, you'll be able to travel for free, forever, on pure sunlight.

If supercharger hardware is installed, you can use the supercharger network for free. That only seems to leave room for charging for hardware, not software, configuration and calibration. And until today, they were letting people order the 60kWh pack with supercharge hardware included.

Are you getting the 60kWh battery? Not sure you are feeling the pain.

No, I'm not - I'm getting a Sig Model X. That's why I was careful to word it as to what my personal reaction was when I heard. I'm obviously not in the middle of it, but the website did say price was 'tbd', Elon did mention a cost, etc. So my assumption all along has been that there would be a cost.

Just got an email with an offer to add supercharging to my 60kWh Model-S for $1000 (half of what it will cost 60kWh cars for people who have not configured) which I happily chose to do.

You then get supercharging for free for the life of the car.

After this work is complete, you will then have unlimited free access to the network for the lifetime of your Model S (this even extends to all future owners of the car).

They also gave me the option of upgrading to the 85kWh pack (which I did not choose to do).

The 60kwh supercharger pricing was TBD on Tesla's website for a very long time so I'm not surprised there's a cost. The cost seems high though. $1000/$2000 in gas would cover a tremendous amount of road tripping in an ICE.

Well, I think you need to compare against the value of your time. Assuming they limit to a 1C charge rate, SC charging is about 3X faster than the HPC. So, a 30 minute SC charge would take 90 minutes at an HPC - and that's if you got the twin chargers (another $1000). At $50/hour, then it'll take 20 charges to make up the $1000 difference, or 40 charges to make up the $2000 difference. How many road trips are you going to take in your Model S over its lifetime?

Given a choice between $2000 for SC charging and $1000 for twin chargers, the answer is easy: SC charging.

Actually what is the charge rate in terms of Miles of range per Hour of Charging (MPHc) for cars with the 60kWh battery. If it's actually charging at 1C then the MPHc should be about 70% of that of the 85 kWh cars. That's something to consider if 60kWh customers are planning to rely on the supercharger network for roadtrips.

Has Tesla made any 60kWh cars yet? Did they ever announce if they're using fewer cells or different cells or both?

The design studio said the software was included, too.

Yeah, at the time i finalized, the design studio said hardware and software included. Of course my official documentation says "supercharger hardware" at no cost, but theres no mention of software on that at all.

Frankly, i think its a no brainer to get the SC access with the 60 kwh battery, esp since its technically half price for me, but it is tough to have to add another 1k to the bottom line, esp since i already had a "final" price.

Also not a huge fanof the 10 days to decide, but i do understand. I really wish there was a clearer map of the east coast charger plan. Virginia down to charlotte, for example, doesnt seem that clear cut.

more nickel-and-dime stuff. I don't think it is right to compare the cost of the difference in charging time. The twin-chargers are meant to charge faster at home. They usually don't help too much on the road (I know it can, just saying there are not a lot of 10+Kw chargers).
Supercharging is for those occasions where you want to cover a longer distance. I assume for most people this is rare. This means you are comparing the cost of installing the supercharger against the cost of driving that distance with an ICE car. As mentioned above, that is a lot of gas.

I love the fact that the chargers will be free. I am curious to see if they will stay free for the GENIII but charging current 60KwH reservation holders for this I think is a poor choice.

Splitting the cost between hardware and software/testing seems to be a convenient way to split the expense but I doubt it has anything to do with the real cost.

To be clear: This is not affecting me as I was going to order a 40KwH car but decided to cancel and wait for the GENIII. It is just my opinion.

What Tesla is doing to 60 kWh buyers is a reasonable compromise.

We've known for a long time that the design website stated that supercharging for 60 kWh models was "TBD." So, it should have been reasonable to assume at the time that either the 60 kWh buyers were not going to ever have the capacity or that they might have it included (fee or no fee). It was wishful thinking that it would have been included without a fee. Since you've already signed your agreements, Tesla could have informed you that you needed to pay an optional $2000 for the supercharging or could have thrown a below-the-belt punch (as they did with the service plan) and informed you that it was installed and that you owe them $2000 more.

So, I think installing the hardware and offering the software to you for $1000 is a nice gesture.

Most of you who signed an agreement didn't know if supercharging was ever going to be an option; now it is. It's an option. Tesla isn't requiring that you buy it, unlike the service plan.

I wish it was offered to me at $1000 instead of $2000; I don't know if I will get it since I am unlikely to use it. Nevertheless, I don't know if I initially decline it if it will be able to be retrofitted.

As for the 10 day notice, I really don't know why they need to know this in terms of software installation; this seems more like an infomercial: Call in the next 10 minutes and we'll double your set of steak knives!