Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Price - What if it is $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not my P85 (with Supercharging included in the price) with the idea that I would save money. I use supercharging to allow me to travel long distances and enjoy the best car in the world while doing it. Maybe 25 or 30, 600 mile round trips across the state (Washington...grandkids), Eastern Oregon 4or 5 times, California a couple of times. All delightful journeys.
If I did not want or need to be more than 100 miles from my house I wouldn't need it.
Remember that we are paying for both the electrons and the infrastructure that is required to replace focal fuels.
Just my thoughts...

I'm not a rich man, and I don't mind paying $2,500 for a SC system that Elon has put in place. I sense a lot of fresh accounts on TMC are Trolls.

......... The SC's aren't a Gas Pump...... They don't have built-in Visa Card readers........ Why do people keep saying Tesla is going to do some retarded 'subscription' SC program.... /headshake
They don't need readers. Tesla knows if you're charging. Your phone doesn't have a built in credit card reader, but you're still able to perform financial transactions on it. Apple bills me each time I buy an app, and also each month for iCloud storage.

I don't think it's necessary to be so dismissive of others' ideas.

Reactions: Tiberius and deonb
......... The SC's aren't a Gas Pump...... They don't have built-in Visa Card readers........ Why do people keep saying Tesla is going to do some retarded 'subscription' SC program.... /headshake
For Tesla to implement a pay per use charging system at the Superchargers it would not be necessary for the Supercharger locations to have credit card readers (since "SC's aren't a Gas Pump" as you helpfully pointed out). As long as the car has an Internet connection, Tesla could use that to detect when the car is charging at a Supercharger location and then bill the owners credit card which they would have on file as part of their agreement with the owner to enable pay per use Supercharging.

I think it is highly likely that when the Model 3 goes into production that Tesla will implement a pay per charge system, and it will not require modifying the Supercharger locations.

I will wait until they announce the real pricing for SC usage on the Model 3 before I decide what to do.
But from my current driving profile and needs I know that if it was 2,500 Euro, I would definitely NOT purchase that plan, because I could never make my money back. It might hurt resale value, sure, but that would be the least of my concerns, as I plan to keep the car for at least ten years, and after that, resale value will be minimal anyway.

I'd very much appreciate a pay-per-charge system.

Last edited:
For Tesla to implement a pay per use charging system at the Superchargers it would not be necessary for the Supercharger locations to have credit card readers. As long as the car has an Internet connection, Tesla could use that to detect when the car is charging at a Supercharger location and then bill the owners credit card which they would have on file as part of their agreement with the owner to enable pay per use Supercharging.

I think it is highly likely that when the Model 3 goes into production that Tesla will implement a pay per charge system, and it will not require modifying the Supercharger locations.
Ofcourse that sounds actually intelligent, people just made it sound like they expect to pay for SC'ing like Gas at a Pump.

I will wait until they announce the real pricing for SC usage on the Model 3 before I decide what to do.
But from my current driving profile and needs I know that if it was 2,500 Euro, I would definitely NOT purchase that plan, because I could never make my money back. It might hurt resale value, sure, but that would be the least of my concerns, as I plan to keep the car for at least ten years, and after that, resale value will be minimal anyway.

I'd very much appreciate a pay-per-charge system.
Then you need to stop thinking of it as having to make back that money. It's an option like anything else you'll choose in a car: panaramic roof, upgraded seats, cold weather package, premium interior, dual motor, upgraded paint job, etc.

Ah, I get it. It's a class thing. Model 3 owners should pay more than Model S and X owners because 3 owners are leaches on the system, whereas S and X owners are builders of the system. Or some such.
That is the part that gets me. The congestion now is with those that have unlimited use. Making Model 3 owners pay per use isn't going to make the others go away.

Reactions: Red Sage
@Jeff I don't care about polls. I'm simply stating that I haven't seen a drop in price for SC. Nor do I expect it to change for mdl 3.
If it does-I'll be surprised if it is under 1500.00. I'm keeping in mind not everyone will buy into it-nor will most pay at the charger.
It's not like a gas pump where you can pay cash.

Currently is referring to the posts on tesla website-both x and s are 2500.00-that's the honest price right now. Some of you really shouldn't post. I did read the other posts which is why I said paying at the charger is not an option for me. NO security!

I have no idea where you are seeing that it costs $2,500 for a Model X to Supercharge; can you provide a link? All Model Xs come with Supercharging in the base cost of the car. Same with a new Model S purchased. There are just a few old S60s that didn't come with Supercharging and yes it costs $2,500 to enable on them. (It would have been $2,000 if they enabled it when they bought the car.)

Currently is referring to the posts on tesla website-both x and s are 2500.00-that's the honest price right now. Some of you really shouldn't post. I did read the other posts which is why I said paying at the charger is not an option for me. NO security!
Perhaps you are the one who shouldn't post, as you don't know what you are talking about. There is no $2500 or any other price for enabling supercharging on "x and s right now". If you're looking at the Tesla shop the enabling supercharging purchase is only for those early Model S 60 owners who didn't choose to have supercharging enabled when they bought the car a few years ago. It has nothing to do with the X or S being sold now.

In the original patent US008643330, they describe cash, debit, and subscription models as well.
Patents are written to cover as many circumstances and cases as possible. When filing a patent, you don't want to leave any loopholes whatsoever if you want to truly secure your idea. I understand that Tesla released their patents, but at the time when they filed the patents, that was probably not on their minds.

So, point being, just because it's in the patent doesn't mean they plan on utilizing such methods, it could be simply to keep others from doing the same thing with different methods.

It's you that shouldn't post. your totally wrong. There is NO optional SC on MS ans MX. It comes with all versions included in the base price. This is the ONLY option for purchasing SC'ing:

Tesla — Enable Supercharging

Reactions: Skione65 and S'toon