Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Price - What if it is $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you're missing is that I'll be charging most of the time at home. So the question is whether I would use $2500 in gas while on longer distance trips (ie, when I'll use the SC network). Add in the time value of money and this becomes a very poor ROI.
I do most of my charging at home but when I drive on long trips I use Superchargers. Their value goes far beyond the few dollars of electricity I soak up. Their value means that the trip is possible. I couldn't do long distance trips without Superchargers since I would have to stop every few hundred miles and charge (overnight) at a L2 charger... just not going to happen.
My most recent trip was from N. California, across NV and ID to Yellowstone and the Tetons (2200 miles R/T). Superchargers every 100-200 miles meant that we could drive all day with only short stops. I would not have made the trip without Superchargers.
I did save a few hundred dollars on gas with free electricity but the value of the Superchargers for making the trip fast and comfortable was much more.

When is buying a car ever an investment unless it appreciates like classic cars?

We are not talking about the car though, are we? We are talking about the possible extra cost to be able to use the superchargers. And if (which at this point is pure speculation) said extra cost would be 2,500 USD/Euro/whatever would we buy that option or not.

As I said, I personally wouldn't because I would never use electricity for that amount of money at an SC. And as I don't intend to use my Model 3 for long roadtrips, I don't need the "added value/possible convenience of superchargers" in the first place. Sure, I appreciate that Tesla offers that convenience, but since I don't intend to use it, I don't want to pay for it either.

Last edited:
Currently is referring to the posts on tesla website-both x and s are 2500.00-that's the honest price right now. Some of you really shouldn't post. I did read the other posts which is why I said paying at the charger is not an option for me. NO security!

Ummm... Every Model X built has Supercharging included in the price, and so does every Model S from the last year and a half.

You're right, some folks probably shouldn't post. They probably also shouldn't start threads sometimes. :)

While I would rather not pay 2500 I think I would if that were the price. I think of it like a Kickstarter for sustainable charging for Tesla. Maybe I should be looking at it like an investment, but then again getting options on a car is a waste of money because you never get the equivalent back monetarily.

Makes you wonder if folks here are willing to pay 2500 for autopilot as it exists today.

I'm baffled by the position of some that the Supercharger fee needs to pencil out as some sort of fuel cost. Lots of people add options to cars and pay extra for such things as colors, leather seats, performance package, and AutoPilot. Do those options really add as much utility to the car as the long distance trips that Supercharging enables? You don't really need most of the options if all you want is a functional car. Next to a larger battery (increased range) it is hard for me to imagine an option more useful than Supercharging access.

Even if, as is the case with most of us, 90+% of your charging is at home, Supercharging allows long trips to be made easily and routinely. It drastically increases the utility of the car. And that's what makes Teslas different from all other BEVs available now and in the next few years.

Sure, I can see some people buying the Model 3 solely for local driving, especially if they have access to another vehicle for long trips. There may well be people who buy the base model and add no options, for whom Supercharging is just more than they can afford. And if some sort of subscription regimen is introduced to pay for Supercharging I can see how it might make more sense for some to take that route instead of paying a one-time lifetime fee. But, to suggest that a Supercharging option has to pencil out as a cost of fuel completely misses to point: it allows the ability to easily make very long road trips in an EV. And that's a paradigm shift in EV utility!

I haven't measured it but I probably drive 10,000 miles/yr in long trips and in addition more miles in shorter day trips, and I intend for the model 3 to be my only car. Superchargers are a necessity (I need a lot more then there are now) and if I need to pay for them - not seeing the problem.

Reactions: Red Sage
Back in the day, like 2012, we drove our new Model S from CA bay area to Canada. And back. No one had ever heard of superchargers. Now I read that there is no way anyone can do long distance trips unless they have supercharging. I can guarantee you that you can do it.

We arranged every night for a motel with a 220 outlet. Next morning, we drove 200 miles or so to an RV park, and we walked (!!) into town for donut and coffee or a leisurely lunch while the car charged. If we got back early, we would read (!! again). The walk was good, the book was good, the company was good. Then we'd drive on to our next motel. Might do 300 plus miles a day.

It was one of the most relaxing, rewarding vacations ever. Sure, SCs make it easier, but it surely isn't hard to make it without. If you can't afford the fee, so what? Toss your charger cable into the car and head on out anyway!

I haven't measured it but I probably drive 10,000 miles/yr ....

As many new Tesla owners have found, your yearly miles go up when you buy a Tesla. We do over 25,000 per year now. It's just too much fun to drive, and you can't say, "but we're wasting gas," or "it's too expensive." Drove over to see the grandkid play football. Only a hundred mile round trip. Big deal. Wouldn't have gone with the ICE.

Back in the day, like 2012, we drove our new Model S from CA bay area to Canada. And back. No one had ever heard of superchargers. Now I read that there is no way anyone can do long distance trips unless they have supercharging. I can guarantee you that you can do it.

We arranged every night for a motel with a 220 outlet. Next morning, we drove 200 miles or so to an RV park, and we walked (!!) into town for donut and coffee or a leisurely lunch while the car charged. If we got back early, we would read (!! again). The walk was good, the book was good, the company was good. Then we'd drive on to our next motel. Might do 300 plus miles a day.

It was one of the most relaxing, rewarding vacations ever. Sure, SCs make it easier, but it surely isn't hard to make it without. If you can't afford the fee, so what? Toss your charger cable into the car and head on out anyway!

That sounds nice if you have the time to do it. I'd imagine that unless you're retired and/or have an empty nest, that kind of trip probably isn't feasible for most people with jobs and/or families. Not trying to detract from your point though. When I retire, road trips across the country are definitely on my itinerary. I'm already a big theme-park enthusiast and constantly travel across the country for them. BUT, I'm only 10 years into my career. Quite a ways to go before that type of freedom!

I'm hoping by the time that I retire that they have Tesla Model RVs on the market!

Reactions: Red Sage
......... The SC's aren't a Gas Pump...... They don't have built-in Visa Card readers........ Why do people keep saying Tesla is going to do some retarded 'subscription' SC program.... /headshake
A subscription model wouldn't fit my needs, as I don't do long distance travel regularly. You obviously don't need a credit card reader to handle the transaction. There is a protocol between the charger and the car and all chargers are networked.

There is a protocol between the charger and the car and all chargers are networked.

Are they? (My understanding is that they are not, which is why Tesla asks you to stay connected to a bad SpC when you call them so that they can access it via your car.)

As far as we know currently the SpC does no validation of the car, if the car says it can Supercharge then it can. So they would have to roll out a software update to all of SpCs.

Are they? (My understanding is that they are not, which is why Tesla asks you to stay connected to a bad SpC when you call them so that they can access it via your car.)

As far as we know currently the SpC does no validation of the car, if the car says it can Supercharge then it can. So they would have to roll out a software update to all of SpCs.
I'm not sure how they get the info for sure:

I'm baffled by the position of some that the Supercharger fee needs to pencil out as some sort of fuel cost. Lots of people add options to cars and pay extra for such things as colors, leather seats, performance package, and AutoPilot. Do those options really add as much utility to the car as the long distance trips that Supercharging enables? You don't really need most of the options if all you want is a functional car. Next to a larger battery (increased range) it is hard for me to imagine an option more useful than Supercharging access.

Even if, as is the case with most of us, 90+% of your charging is at home, Supercharging allows long trips to be made easily and routinely. It drastically increases the utility of the car. And that's what makes Teslas different from all other BEVs available now and in the next few years.

Sure, I can see some people buying the Model 3 solely for local driving, especially if they have access to another vehicle for long trips. There may well be people who buy the base model and add no options, for whom Supercharging is just more than they can afford. And if some sort of subscription regimen is introduced to pay for Supercharging I can see how it might make more sense for some to take that route instead of paying a one-time lifetime fee. But, to suggest that a Supercharging option has to pencil out as a cost of fuel completely misses to point: it allows the ability to easily make very long road trips in an EV. And that's a paradigm shift in EV utility!

@dgpcolorado,

^^^^This!!! Best reply to the OPs thread yet. Come on people. Are you here to purchase a car and "pencil in" return costs on excel spreadsheets to monetize over the life of your owning the M3 or "help 'invest' in the 'Tesla Idea and infrastructure' to help everybody in the Tesla Ownership Family'........I may not get my value back over the life of my M3 ownership but I WILL purchase the 'Lifetime Supercharging' for the above stated reason to help the Tesla infrastructure to better serve us all.

Ski

Makes you wonder if folks here are willing to pay 2500 for autopilot as it exists today.

I can only speak for myself, but I definitely wouldn't. I have recently experienced the current autopilot on a testdrive with an S P90DL and it sure is a nice gimmick, but for me it is nothing more - yet. Perhaps one day when all cars on the road have autopilot and car-to-X communication with each other, but not now. Problem is also that more than 95% of my driving is in or between small towns in the country, where the current autopilot is not recommended to be used anyway. And for driving on the Autobahn I am quite happy with standard ACC.

Reactions: dgpcolorado