Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Price - What if it is $2500?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That comes out to 1111 gallons of gas approx. or 50k miles.
I don't know about any of you but I won't be using it much.
Personally, I think 500.00 might be the correct amount. That's 10k miles of gas.
No, I don't think I'll ever get to charge up at sc stations for that number of miles in my life.
I have solar/wind and water power.
I probably won't be happy paying at the charger due to hacking.
I just might not get it at all.

Just my thoughts.

I've not been able to justify the price. Most of my driving is local, and only a few times have I watched my battery tell me it's really wanting a charge. And I've always been close to home when that happened. Besides, there's always ChargePoint, worst case scenario.

Certainly not worth $2.5K to me. I'd hit superchargers just because I could, which would be pretty silly, too.

In no place does it say supercharging for the Model 3 will be $2500.... There is no "currently" it's just a figment of your imagination. At projected Model 3 sales Tesla would earn more money at $500 then they did with the Model S at $2500. Anything more than $500 and people are not going to want it. Also they may do a subscription model.

When they are ready they will announce what they are doing with supercharging at a later date. Until then, there was a whole other thread on this topic. How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Personally, I think 500.00 might be the correct amount. That's 10k miles of gas.
No, I don't think I'll ever get to charge up at sc stations for that number of miles in my life.

Just my thoughts.

Not sure where you got this "currently" from...

Every car sold today includes supercharging in the price. The original 60 cost $2000 on delivery or $2500 later, and the enable later for those early cars may still be on the website, but it in no way follows that Tesla expects to charge that for the model 3

If Tesla has a "per Supercharge" payment system for the Model 3, it will not involve getting out your charge card at a Supercharger location since those locations do not have the necessary hardware for that payment method. Tesla will have your payment information in their database in a server somewhere.

At this time no one outside of Tesla knows if the Model 3 will have a "one time" Supercharger option cost or not, and if they do offer that we don't know what it will cost.

Your post makes a lot of unfounded assumptions.

I did not my P85 (with Supercharging included in the price) with the idea that I would save money. I use supercharging to allow me to travel long distances and enjoy the best car in the world while doing it. Maybe 25 or 30, 600 mile round trips across the state (Washington...grandkids), Eastern Oregon 4or 5 times, California a couple of times. All delightful journeys.
If I did not want or need to be more than 100 miles from my house I wouldn't need it.
Remember that we are paying for both the electrons and the infrastructure that is required to replace focal fuels.
Just my thoughts...

Poo-poo (ppu or pay-per-use) schemes are antithetical to Tesla's mission, and unnecessary about six different ways.

Instead of a subscription model, as interesting as that is, I envision that similar to the DriverAssist (AP) 30-day test drives, Tesla might offer the same for SC usage. Although maybe not, since the vast majority of owners do not use SCs with any regularity if at all today, and that model will hold for the Model 3, although perhaps at a lower rate.

Regardless, Tesla's commitment to both DENSITY as well as DISTANCE has worked very well so far, to the point that 97% of the SC network at least in North America is a tumbleweed factory. Adding friction to a frictionless system to partially resolve a 3% problem is pure foolishness.

I would much prefer that Tesla embark upon a sustained campaign of user education and best practices reinforcement to reduce the #1 clear and present problem associated with SCs. And it ain't locals and it ain't livery. It's ICEing by our own. And unless and until *that* problem is solved, there is no faster way to turn an 8-stall SC into a 2-stall SC, with all of the cascading problems associated therewith.

Along with educating owners to be considerate and to get back to their chariots a few minutes before charging is complete would be an opportunity to educate them about pairing, the avoidance of which is another way to increase efficienciy associated with a scarce resource.

Just my thoughts.
For someone that claims to have sold his 33,000 shares of Tesla which you say was bought at $27.xx, you can sure be a Scrooge McDuck and I'm talking about the original Scrooge.

Well, if we used the last upfront price for Supercharging, $2,000 (I don't know if that would be the Model 3 price, but it seems a better starting point than pulling a number out of thin air) . $2.79 per gallon, the current average price of gas in California, where our recent seller of Tesla stock lives. And finally, 36 miles per gallon, the average EPA rating for new cars. We end up with an upfront price that would buy him 25,806 miles worth of gas. If the car stays on the road for 10 years, that would 2,508 miles per year. Perhaps still not for everyone, but if you travel much it could be a bargain.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Well, technically the current price IS $2500, but only classic 60s can purchase it

image.png

Well, technically the current price IS $2500, but only classic 60s can purchase it

View attachment 187053
That's what was said earlier. The original S60 price for supercharging was $2000 if purchased at the time of ordering the car, or $2500 if it was upgraded after.

But that price has nothing to do with what will be the price of supercharging will be on the Model 3.

The OP is just putting out misinformation.

Sorry, but this calculations are stupid. Just go ahead and look what you get when you "pay per use". An almost non existing network of crappy chargers which mostly fail and if they do not fail, they are occupied by another EV in addition to being somewhere where there is nothing to do and far way form where you need it for long distance travel.

The SC network is one very big part of Tesla's success and a main reason that people are suddenly interested in EV's. You cannot make money with operating chargers, it's the same like it was with WIFI for coffee shops. Tesla got it right and the 2000 $ is not for "saving vs gas costs", it's for making the EV revolution work.

I lived 3 years without a home charger and after it was available used mostly Chademo to charge. After that experience I GLADLY pay 2k for having an awesome fast network with chargers that always work, are available (never had to wait at a SC so far) and are at locations where there are interesting things to do.

There's an assumption built in there that the cost of supercharging should have a proportional relationship to the cost of fuel. I just don't see the connection. The supercharger value proposition is based on time and convenience.
You aren't just buying electricity. You are buying the ability to take long distance trips with 30 minute stops for charging rather than staying overnight at a Level 2 charger every few hundred miles.

There's an assumption built in there that the cost of supercharging should have a proportional relationship to the cost of fuel. I just don't see the connection. The supercharger value proposition is based on time and convenience.

Tesla's whole idea of the supercharger network is to facilitate long distance travel. The price of supercharging should have a proportional relationship to the network's utilization. The more long distance travel, the more the network is funded.The value proposition is to make it possible to travel long distances with today's battery tech. The longer the range, the less chargers required.

You aren't just buying electricity. You are buying the ability to take long distance trips with 30 minute stops for charging rather than staying overnight at a Level 2 charger every few hundred miles.
and paying to use that L2 charger at a huge premium over home energy rates.
Instead of comparing the expected upfront SC fee to gas (which in the OPs calc my local fuel prices and my car's MPG make the OPs calc look just laughable as if stacking the deck) the expected SC fee should be against what it would cost to use public charging stations.