Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging prices at last

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the max supercharging station output is around 120KW. If you have the newer 90kwh or 100kwh battery with the ability to sustain over 100KW charging up until 45% SOC you will be slowed to around 70-90KW if one of those idiots plugs in next to you when are still charging fast and there are other free slots.

The first car on the stack gets priority and is not slowed down by the paired car plugging in.

Not cheaper than driving my Prius but only just barely.

A Prius at 46 mpg (Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 5,385 Toyota Prius owners) running 2.81/g regular (CA avg) is 6.1 cents per mile.

3 miles per kWh (.20) is 6.7 when paying for SC quick charges.

$6 more per thousand miles or $72 per year for the average driver assuming you never charge at home and have depleted your 400kWh. $26 more than a Prius if you drive from LA to NY and back.

Going to say that overnight stays that have free charging during a year and the free 400 kWh cover that $72 without charging at home.

Reactions: KJD
Is EVGO public? They're going to a get a lot more usage in the next few years as those who have to pay for supercharging will now look at chademo given it's cheaper in most places than the supercharger pricing.

I already posted that existing ChargePoint and EVgo stations are normally $10-$11 dollars for a 1/2 hour or ~22kWh. That is ~46 cents per kWh.

I would love to see per minute charging everywhere with a target kw vs actual kw discount.

For example, let's say the normal per minute rate is 10 cents. If your car SOC is such that you can accept 80kw and you actually get 80wk, then it's 10 cents per minute. If you're not getting the target charge rate your car could get based on where you are in the taper, then you get a discount. So say you get 40kw when you should be able to get 80kw either due to a supercharger malfunction or say you don't have priority because you were second. In this case, it would be 5 cents per minute because you're not getting the charge you could.

This would incentivize people to arrive at super chargers with the lowest SOC they can and charge just enough to get to the next supercharger.

There's a big education problem. The average customer doesn't understand the lower your SOC when you start, the less time you'll spend charging to get the same miles for the next stop.

A rate structure like this would result in almost immediate self education on this as money spent light up this fact.

I already posted that existing ChargePoint and EVgo stations are normally $10-$11 dollars for a 1/2 hour or ~22kWh. That is ~46 cents per kWh.

Even if you're a subscriber?

From EVGOs website:
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.47.02 AM.png

A Prius at 46 mpg (Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 5,385 Toyota Prius owners) running 2.81/g regular (CA avg) is 6.1 cents per mile.

3 miles per kWh (.20) is 6.7 when paying for SC quick charges.

$6 more per thousand miles or $72 per year for the average driver assuming you never charge at home and have depleted your 400kWh. $26 more than a Prius if you drive from LA to NY and back.

Going to say that overnight stays that have free charging during a year and the free 400 kWh cover that $72 without charging at home.

That's why I said barely :)

Although it's bit more difference than that right now. The average price is $2.81 right now here in the Bay Area where it's the most expensive, but Costco on Coleman in San Jose is currently 2.35(other locations are similarly priced). I consistently average 51 mpg on my 244K mile 2009 prius so it's actually 4.1 cents / mile for me currently so I guess after doing the math, it's currently WAY cheaper per mile than paying 20 cents / kwh on a Tesla.

I would factor in oil changes, coolant, spark plugs, and transmission fluid changes into that but the ONE 4 year / 50 K service I'm going to do when my Tesla hits 48K miles or so for $900 is more than the cost all the oil changes, spark plugs, transmission fluid changes, engine coolant, and inverter changes that have been done on my prius in the course of it's 244K mile life. Plus I've had zero repairs or issues which I'm pretty sure won't be the case on the Tesla.