Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging prices at last

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging

The Supercharger network enables long distance travel. Stations are strategically placed to minimize stops and are conveniently located near desirable amenities like restaurants, shops and WiFi hot spots. Each station contains multiple Superchargers to get you back on the road quickly.

Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X ordered after January 15, 2017.

• 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.
  • In North America, pricing is fixed within each state or province. Internationally, pricing is fixed within each country. All prices include taxes and fees.
  • Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
    • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
    • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.
  • Supercharger pricing information may be viewed on the 17” touchscreen and is summarized below.
Supercharging is simple and convenient—just plug in and charge up. Supercharging history is automatically populated in your website account showing the credits used or, if applicable, the amount billed. Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center.

Tesla releases the details of its new Supercharger Credit program

How many kw/h per minute does a supercharger put out at peak output? I guess at 60 kw/hr it is putting out 1 kw/minute. Georgia is $.16/minute for the higher tier and $.08/minute for the lower tier.

That's much less expensive than I was expecting! 13 cents/kWh in Colorado and only 20 cents/kWh in California. I like the two tier rates for states that will require charging by the minute, for example AZ will be 16 cents/minute for Tier 2 (60 kW or more) and 8 cents/minute for Tier 1 (below 60 kW or when sharing a Supercharger pair).

Supercharging

The 400 kWh per year won't roll over.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
"When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
  • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
  • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car."
The way I read this is that cheapskate drivers can choose (if they can) to charge at half the cost using tier 1, but take longer (perhaps much longer) to finish their charge...and occupy their charging station for additional time at the expense of others who may be waiting. Or effectively slow down a driver on a shared station so that they can get tier 1 rates. Not good.

Am I missing something?

"When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
  • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car."
The way I read this is that cheapskate drivers can choose (if they can) to charge at half the cost using tier 1, but take longer (perhaps much longer) to finish their charge...and occupy their charging station for additional time at the expense of others who may be waiting. Or effectively slow down a driver on a shared station so that they can get tier 1 rates. Not good.

Am I missing something?

You are missing that there is no way to control the speed of a supercharger (currently). You get what it gives, be it Tier 1 or Tier 2

I expect its really a way to deal with the /minute states in a more fair way so if the supercharger is only putting out 35kw and you can't control that, you don't get a super high fee for a slow charge. Also prevents complaining about being paired and paying more than the guy in 1A just because he got there first.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and Ulmo

Am I missing something?

Can you change your charging speed when using a supercharger?

Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing two things:
1. You can't choose your supercharging speed, other than by arriving with a high state of charge so you're always charging below 60kW. If your car can take more than 60 kW it will get more than 60kW until it tapers below that.
2. You don't slow down the first car at a paired station when you choose that station. You get the power the first car isn't using as it tapers.

• Informative
Reactions: ColBatGuano
You are missing that there is no way to control the speed of a supercharger (currently). You get what it gives, be it Tier 1 or Tier 2

From what I understand from reading: "Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.", a cheapskate driver could choose to pull into a charger that's being shared with another car instead of one that isn't. This way, the cheapskate will get the slower tier 1 rate while also slowing down their neighbors charge rate...and probably getting a mean look from them.

From what I understand from reading: "Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.", a cheapskate driver could choose to pull into a charger that's being shared with another car instead of one that isn't. This way, the cheapskate will get the slower tier 1 rate while also slowing down their neighbors charge rate...and probably getting a mean look from them.

But when the first guy leaves, the charge rate will go up. And I don't believe the first cars charging rate is lowered significantly when a second car joins the pair. The 2nd car takes the brunt of the slowdown until the first car gets closer to full.

If you are the first car, you get the higher rate. Your rate only goes down when you taper, it won't go down when second car starts charging.
So yes, you could be the 2d car, and then when first car leaves, move to another second spot, or if someone pulls in, you could unplug and let them get the higher rate.

But when the first guy leaves, the charge rate will go up. And I don't believe the first cars charging rate is lowered significantly when a second car joins the pair. The 2nd car takes the brunt of the slowdown until the first car gets closer to full.

Ah yes, so when the paired car leaves, I, I mean the cheapskate, will have to quickly move their car to another shared charger; preferably one who's driver just recently arrived.