Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the midwest thread we have pictures of the SC going into the parking garage in Normal, IL. The cabinets are mounted, the pedestals for the charging cables have been poured, and the cabling has been run. Likely another couple of weeks or so.

This was sent regarding the question:

There are 2 installations that will be up in Washington state by the middle of July. One in Burlington (pop ~ 8500) is currently under construction and then the same company (maybe even the same crew?) will install the one in Centralia (pop ~16,500).

I would guess that there are many more currently under construction around the country. Expect an announcement when they are ready to be USED and not before (even though that has already happened).
they are most certainly going in small cities/towns in Washington. In addition to Burlington and Centralia, the "dots on the map" show Ellensburg (pop ~ 18,500) and Moses Lake (pop ~ 21,000).

The Burlington, WA supercharger construction is well underway. Someone talked to the work crew and they said done by the end of June. The Centralia SC is at the "locate paint" stage and Ellensburg is a figment of Elon's fertile imagination.

It's surprising we only have construction sightings for a few of the new supercharger locations, at this point. Tesla only has 9 more days to make good on their statement that they will triple the number of superchargers by the end of the month. If that's really going to happen, most of the locations on the "Summer 2013" map need to be nearing completion as we speak. I'll be shocked (but pleased) if they really meet that goal.

Looks like the Buellton Supercharger is nearly complete:

Work Location

555 MCMURRAY RD
BUELLTON CA 93427
Permit Details

Applicant:

REID JOHNSON
TESLA MOTORS, INC
3500 DEER CREEK RD
PALTO ALTO, CA, 94304
Project Description:

TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION
INSTALL (8) CHARGING STATIONS FOR TESLA MOTORS LOCATED AT THE MARRIOTT HOTEL. CLEARANCES REQUIRED: BUILDING
Inspected Approved Below Floor Elec. (425674)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:14 AM

Inspected Approved Slab/Mesh Steel (425746)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:15 AM

Inspected Approved Ftg/Stl/Setback (425745)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:15 AM

Correction Notice Rough Electric (426100)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/19/2013 at 7:50 AM

Correction Notice Final Electrical (426101)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/19/2013 at 7:50 AM
Inspected Approved Rough Electric (426205)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/20/2013 at 4:30 PM

Inspected Approved Meter Release - Electric (426206)
Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/20/2013 at 4:30 PM
Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 12.52.50 AM.png

Unless our sleuths are missing something it sounds like there may be only 6 new ones open by the end of June (2 in CT, 2 in WA, 1 in IL and 1 in CA. Did I miss any? That would bring the total to 15 which is a long way off of 27.

Did Tesla say that Summer 2013 = end of June?

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read their press release. My guess is that when they said "by the end of next month," they meant July, despite the press release coming out in May.

i wouldn't be surprised if you are right on that. Can't see how they bring another 12 online in the next week. But they should be able to by the end of July. Our trip is July 9-19 so we can hope that the one projected for Atascadero or Paso Robles gets installed by the middle of July.

Unless our sleuths are missing something it sounds like there may be only 6 new ones open by the end of June (2 in CT, 2 in WA, 1 in IL and 1 in CA. Did I miss any? That would bring the total to 15 which is a long way off of 27.

Certainly one of the WA locations will not be ready in time. I think they can get away with adding just 16. You can make a case that there are only 8 open today, since one is split across northbound/southbound rest areas. But that still a lot more than have been spotted under construction.

Did Tesla say that Summer 2013 = end of June?

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read their press release. My guess is that when they said "by the end of next month," they meant July, despite the press release coming out in May.

When you say "next month" on May 31, it means June. If they say they meant something else, they're revising history.

Well, the other WA supercharger (Burlington) may not be up by the end of next week (no wires or electronics sighted yet) so the delegation from the Great State of Washington may have to vote "Not Present".

Let's face it, the whole supercharger announcement was a lot of wishful thinking on Elon's part. I'm glad he has the vision and am sure we will get there. But, I seriously doubt it will be anything like the promised timing..

@Larry, I had to reread your post several times. I first wondered what a normal supercharger was. And, then wondered if there are abnormal ones? (I guess, in support of political correctness, that should be "special superchargers".) Maybe that's why ours in WA aren't done yet...

The Supercharger at Ft. Myers, Florida literally just broke ground, so it won't be ready before month-end.

Larry

attachment.php?attachmentid=24189&d=1371916507.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@Larry, I had to reread your post several times. I first wondered what a normal supercharger was. And, then wondered if there are abnormal ones? (I guess, in support of political correctness, that should be "special superchargers".) Maybe that's why ours in WA aren't done yet...

Hi Phil,

Cute. I guess I could have been more specific and said Normal, Illinois. :smile:

We had a call this morning with a Tesla Marketing Representative regarding the Tesla Supercharger Ribbon Cutting. The event is scheduled for 10:00 am on Wednesday, June 26 and will take place on the 3rd floor of the Uptown Station Parking Deck. We may potentially move down to the Gateway Plaza to continue the press conference, if necessary. Below is the tentative schedule: 10:00 am – Senator Cullerton arrives onsite and charges10:15 am – Local media/ Photo Opp/ Ribbon Cutting10:40 am – Senator Cullerton leaves for SpringfieldI am working on a press release that will probably go out late Monday afternoon, but wanted to give you a heads up. Please mark your calendars for this exciting event! We hope to see the EVTown support on Wednesday. Thanks!Heather BealCommunications ManagerTown of Normal(309) 454-9595 (office)(309) 310-8215 (mobile)[email protected]

Larry

What's the over/under on the total number of SC locations operational on June 30th? I think it is 15 (counting the ones already in place). That is a long way from 27.

Again, they can legitimately claim they tripled the number of supercharging stations if they add just 16, for a total of 24, if they count split northbound/southbound stations as one. Still a long way from that, counting the stations that have been spotted.

This was sent regarding the question:

There are 2 installations that will be up in Washington state by the middle of July. One in Burlington (pop ~ 8500) is currently under construction and then the same company (maybe even the same crew?) will install the one in Centralia (pop ~16,500).

I would guess that there are many more currently under construction around the country. Expect an announcement when they are ready to be USED and not before (even though that has already happened).
they are most certainly going in small cities/towns in Washington. In addition to Burlington and Centralia, the "dots on the map" show Ellensburg (pop ~ 18,500) and Moses Lake (pop ~ 21,000).
Sent to whom?

FYI, you're quoting me from a thread in the official Tesla Motors forums. ;)

Sad to hear there hasn't been more progress in Burlington.

As it has been pointed out, add about a month to any time quotes that come out of Elon's mouth and you'll be safe. Ha! ;)