TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharging Progress

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by jp158, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jp158

jp158 Member

Wondering just how much progress Tesla has made to date with NEW supercharging stations?

Does anyone know or have seen developments ?

Thanks

2. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I checked the PLACES button on the NAV system this evening; still has the original West and East coast chargers; nothing else up yet...

3. jp158

jp158 Member

yeah, Nothing I don't even see signs of new areas yet........ Hoping to see something soon! and his promises by fall are even greater!

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

In the midwest thread we have pictures of the SC going into the parking garage in Normal, IL. The cabinets are mounted, the pedestals for the charging cables have been poured, and the cabling has been run. Likely another couple of weeks or so.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

6. jp158

jp158 Member

This was sent regarding the question:

There are 2 installations that will be up in Washington state by the middle of July. One in Burlington (pop ~ 8500) is currently under construction and then the same company (maybe even the same crew?) will install the one in Centralia (pop ~16,500).

I would guess that there are many more currently under construction around the country. Expect an announcement when they are ready to be USED and not before (even though that has already happened).
    they are most certainly going in small cities/towns in Washington. In addition to Burlington and Centralia, the "dots on the map" show Ellensburg (pop ~ 18,500) and Moses Lake (pop ~ 21,000).

7. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

The Burlington, WA supercharger construction is well underway. Someone talked to the work crew and they said done by the end of June. The Centralia SC is at the "locate paint" stage and Ellensburg is a figment of Elon's fertile imagination.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It's surprising we only have construction sightings for a few of the new supercharger locations, at this point. Tesla only has 9 more days to make good on their statement that they will triple the number of superchargers by the end of the month. If that's really going to happen, most of the locations on the "Summer 2013" map need to be nearing completion as we speak. I'll be shocked (but pleased) if they really meet that goal.

9. HansK

HansK Member

La Canada Flintridge, California, United States
    Looks like the Buellton Supercharger is nearly complete:

Work Location

555 MCMURRAY RD
    BUELLTON CA 93427

Permit Details

[TR="class: ACA_FLeft"][/TR]
    Applicant:

REID JOHNSON
    TESLA MOTORS, INC
    3500 DEER CREEK RD
    PALTO ALTO, CA, 94304
    Project Description:

TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION
    INSTALL (8) CHARGING STATIONS FOR TESLA MOTORS LOCATED AT THE MARRIOTT HOTEL. CLEARANCES REQUIRED: BUILDING

[TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR][TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR][TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR][TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR][TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR]
    Inspected Approved Below Floor Elec. (425674)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:14 AM

Inspected Approved Slab/Mesh Steel (425746)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:15 AM

Inspected Approved Ftg/Stl/Setback (425745)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/13/2013 at 7:15 AM

Correction Notice Rough Electric (426100)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/19/2013 at 7:50 AM

Correction Notice Final Electrical (426101)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/19/2013 at 7:50 AM
    [TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR][TR="class: InspectionListRow"][/TR]
    Inspected Approved Rough Electric (426205)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/20/2013 at 4:30 PM

Inspected Approved Meter Release - Electric (426206)
    Result by: Jim B Pierce on 06/20/2013 at 4:30 PM
    Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 12.52.50 AM.png

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

The Normal Supercharger ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for June 26th.

Larry

11. AlisoJames

AlisoJames Member

Unless our sleuths are missing something it sounds like there may be only 6 new ones open by the end of June (2 in CT, 2 in WA, 1 in IL and 1 in CA. Did I miss any? That would bring the total to 15 which is a long way off of 27.

12. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

#12 Cheerose, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Did Tesla say that Summer 2013 = end of June?

EDIT: Never mind, I re-read their press release. My guess is that when they said "by the end of next month," they meant July, despite the press release coming out in May.

13. Elshout

Elshout Member

Good work HansK. How did you get such detailed information? The Buellton Supercharger station will make our annual "Sideways" tour of Santa Barbara County wineries much easier.

14. AlisoJames

AlisoJames Member

i wouldn't be surprised if you are right on that. Can't see how they bring another 12 online in the next week. But they should be able to by the end of July. Our trip is July 9-19 so we can hope that the one projected for Atascadero or Paso Robles gets installed by the middle of July.

15. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Certainly one of the WA locations will not be ready in time. I think they can get away with adding just 16. You can make a case that there are only 8 open today, since one is split across northbound/southbound rest areas. But that still a lot more than have been spotted under construction.

When you say "next month" on May 31, it means June. If they say they meant something else, they're revising history.

16. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Well, the other WA supercharger (Burlington) may not be up by the end of next week (no wires or electronics sighted yet) so the delegation from the Great State of Washington may have to vote "Not Present".

Let's face it, the whole supercharger announcement was a lot of wishful thinking on Elon's part. I'm glad he has the vision and am sure we will get there. But, I seriously doubt it will be anything like the promised timing..

@Larry, I had to reread your post several times. I first wondered what a normal supercharger was. And, then wondered if there are abnormal ones? (I guess, in support of political correctness, that should be "special superchargers".) Maybe that's why ours in WA aren't done yet...

17. AlisoJames

AlisoJames Member

What's the over/under on the total number of SC locations operational on June 30th? I think it is 15 (counting the ones already in place). That is a long way from 27.

18. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

The Supercharger at Ft. Myers, Florida literally just broke ground, so it won't be ready before month-end.

Larry

attachment.php?attachmentid=24189&d=1371916507.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Phil,

Cute. I guess I could have been more specific and said Normal, Illinois. :smile:

Larry

19. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Again, they can legitimately claim they tripled the number of supercharging stations if they add just 16, for a total of 24, if they count split northbound/southbound stations as one. Still a long way from that, counting the stations that have been spotted.

20. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Sent to whom?

FYI, you're quoting me from a thread in the official Tesla Motors forums. ;)

Sad to hear there hasn't been more progress in Burlington.

As it has been pointed out, add about a month to any time quotes that come out of Elon's mouth and you'll be safe. Ha! ;)