Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging projection underestimated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing recent supercharging projection underestimations for my 2015 MS90D. I only notice the variations miles after leaving the supercharger. Any help or feedback would be appreciated as a miscalculation such as this could leave an owner stranded. Here is additional information regarding one of many recent circumstances.

My thanks

- TRED

Issue
  • When Supercharging, the estimate of a sufficient charge to reach the next destination has recently been significantly underestimated
  • The estimated amount at the Supercharger is less than the amount of actual miles necessary
  • Several miles into the trip the update is generated yielding the variation
One Example from several recent instances (See Attachments below)

Destination: Collinsville IL Supercharger
Date: Mary 17 2022
Actual Dist: 162 Miles (Actual)
Tesla Projected: 109 Rated Miles Calculation: 75% - 32% (from screen) * 253 (full charge rated miles)
Updated Projection: 172 Rated Miles Calculation: 75% - 7% (from screen) *253 (full charge rated miles)

Conditions

Road: Negligible elevation variation -121 feet (from EVTrip Planner)
Weather: Exterior 82 F
Clear
No precipitation
Climate control: ~70 F
Speed: ~ Constant at posted speed limit (70mph) No aggressive acceleration
Consumption ~ 290 WH/mile

Background:
  • 2015 Model S 90D
  • 85,000 miles
  • Update 2022.12.3.2
  • Current 100% charge: 253 Rated Miles
Note:
  • This is the first significant trip taken since October 2021 at which time the problem was not noticed
  • The estimate is usually very accurate for the duration of our ownership up to Oct 2021
  • The Model S 90D was purchased new Sept 2015
    Est vs Actual.png
    Consumption 1.png

Looks about right.

The grey line on the chart is the estimated arrival SOC and is based on standard speed (I believe this is posted speed limits) and terrain e.g. climbing / descending. The green line is showing how your actual usage tracks. This line factors in how fast you are actually driving, wind and HVAC. If you want the two lines to more closely match, slow down.

I suggest you use something like ABRP if you want better estimates, then charge per the ABRP estimate. Enroute use the car’s nav system.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H