Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Rate slow and range decreased after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I initially purchased my 2017 Model S 60 the max range was 257 miles. A couple of years ago, I upgraded to a 75, my max range increased to 292! Prior to bringing in my car for a MCU2 upgrade, I was still getting a max range of 285 miles. After upgrading my MCU and infotainment (along with HW3), my model s 75 now only gets a max range of 220 miles. In addition, supercharging tops out at only 164 mi/hr.....and I'd seen prior to the upgrade sometimes speeds past 400 mi/hr...but consistently at least 260 mi/hr. I have service appointment coming up in a couple of days. However, I'm sure it will be the same song and dance of nothing wrong here and we just click a button to re-install your software. My thought is that the firmware is limiting my charging rate and range. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem of losing 50+ miles of range after a software re-install?
I'm still looking for a picture of my full range 75...but I did find one from when I had only the 60 kwh.....

Attachments

• TESLA_60_Range2.JPG
    TESLA_60_Range2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 610
You had your range display set to "ideal" miles on your old MCU. The new one is set to "rated".

Rated range for your S60 when new was 210 miles. Rated range after you upgraded it to a 75 was 249. The "ideal" setting is completely disconnected from reality, and shouldn't even be an option. That said, if you want to get your imaginary miles back, you can change the display back to ideal.

220 rated miles is normal/expected for a S75 of your vintage (identical in fact to my car).

Hard to comment on your supercharging observations without any additional info, but I strongly doubt it has anything to do with the MCU.

You had your range display set to "ideal" miles on your old MCU. The new one is set to "rated".

Rated range for your S60 when new was 210 miles. Rated range after you upgraded it to a 75 was 249. The "ideal" setting is completely disconnected from reality, and shouldn't even be an option. That said, if you want to get your imaginary miles back, you can change the display back to ideal.

220 miles is normal/expected for a S75 of your vintage (identical in fact to my car).

Hard to comment on your supercharging observations without any additional info, but I strongly doubt it has anything to do with the MCU.
Agree I don't think my supercharging has anything to do with the MCU, but they had to reinstall firmware and software after the installation.
Attached is the screenshot from the Tesla Service Center about my vehicle config.....Any idea on why my the battery range firmware would say "90kWh firmware limit for 100kWh"?

Attachments

• Tesla_Config.jpg
    Tesla_Config.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
That's about the charging rate I would expect if you were paired up with another car at the same time, especially at the one near me (Fountain Valley) which is full often. But just to rule out the software issue, did you connect to Wifi and update to the latest version yet?

~50kw at 50% is definitely a bit on the slow side. Was your battery sufficiently warm when you were charging? Was someone charging on the paired stall (i.e. if you were on stall 1A was there a car charging on 1B)?
There was no one next to me and my battery was pre-conditioned. It's odd that even at another V3 supercharger (in Irvine, CA) it now stops at 49kw as well.

That's about the charging rate I would expect if you were paired up with another car at the same time, especially at the one near me (Fountain Valley) which is full often. But just to rule out the software issue, did you connect to Wifi and update to the latest version yet?
No one next to me at the Santa Ana charger. I'm on software version 2021.4.18.3. I've had my car for 4 years now and never seen it just consistently cap out at 49kw.