TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

supercharging rate...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by russman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. russman

russman Member

With 95 rated miles left, I plugged into Fremknt suoercharger. No unshared space was open. I was getting 30 mi/hr 351V 28A.

Slower than an HPWC? IS that normal?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

That's about half an HPWC. But, sure. Why not?

If I understand, you pulled into a shared space. You should know that the superchargers go full power to the first car plugging into its inverters, and any second car needing charging starts out low, and then ramps up as the first car ramps down on being filled.

It would seem normal. If the first car was still being charged at a high rate, your car would charge at a low rate.

Only solution might be to try to find out what rate the other cars were charging. I don't know how to do that unless the owner is there, but at Fremont, with nothing much to do, I would expect to find a couple owners. Ask who had been there longest, and park paired with them, and you will get higher charge rates.

Or hang around a bit. Someone may come and move and you can jump on their unpaired spot. Of course, everyone else arriving will try to do the same, so good luck.

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I experienced something similar my first time using a supercharger in DE. Turns out there were already 4 MS there, and I was the 5th and had to wait a short about of time for a spot (only 10 minutes or so). When I plugged in (with 3 others still charging) it was pretty slow charging at first, but pretty quickly ramped up (as the other MS had been there at least 20 minutes+). Got to chat with all but one of the other owners while I was there which was fun. :)

Interestingly enough I've been back to the DE SC a few times since and have always been the only MS. :(

Attached Files:

4. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Does anyone know how to park between the lines there? Except for the red one.

5. riceuguy

riceuguy Member

The lines are in a terrible place for actual charging given how short the cables are!

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

What's more, the third "center" line seems to confuse people in some locations... and Newark has some faded double-lines that add to the problem.

I too have used that site 6-8 times, and I've never seen it full either... I think 3 cars was the max and usually just me and perhaps one other person...

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The bright white lines in the photo appear to be positioned for rear camera tracking, so you end up close to the cable.
    --

8. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

interesting thought

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The lines in DE are messed up. There are multiple sets of various age.